Ford, United Auto Workers say they have tentative agreement on 4-year contract

yes, MOST excellent...which reminds me, wheres Pioneer lately...did he move to Mexico?.....

I don't come here as often because of all the negativity towards UAW workers.

And, as far as I can tell, this agreement will be close as to whether it passes or not.

the 400 million dollar number to retool KCAP has been increased to 1 billion, that is more than ample to gut the entire plants and refurbish it to build such a large vehicle.

The number is high because of the Integrated Stamping Plant they want to build. That alone will be close to $500 Million.

EDIT: I don't know why you even speculate on why Ford does what where anymore. I've been telling you for years that Fusion overflow would go to AAI and you insisted that it would go to KCAP.

Case closed. You don't know jack.

Edited by Pioneer
  • Like 1

I don't come here as often because of all the negativity towards UAW workers.

And, as far as I can tell, this agreement will be close as to whether it passes or not.

comeon, you got thicker skin than that, hope this all works out well for you guys......

The number is high because of the Integrated Stamping Plant they want to build. That alone will be close to $500 Million.

EDIT: I don't know why you even speculate on why Ford does what where anymore. I've been telling you for years that Fusion overflow would go to AAI and you insisted that it would go to KCAP.

Case closed. You don't know jack.

Thank you for your comments.

I don't know jack about anything these days.

Never mind who knew Ford would ante up $1 billion for KCAP in addition to $555 million to AAI for Fusion overflow.

BTW this is a discussion forum, not the Detroit Free press.

Wow, 'morning all I've just woken up to this excellent news.

If I'm reading posts correctly:

- $16 billion investment in USA, $6.2 billion for design and development of new product..

- Personnel, up to 12,000 new jobs over the next 4 years

- Tier 1 wages to increase by several dollars an hour

- Sign on bonus, $6,000 for current workers, $5,000 for new starters.

- In lieu of COLA, workers will get $250/year bonus based on meeting quality KPIs

- Profitability bonuses, payment in November for 2011 is expected to be $3,700

-

- Flat Rock to build Fusion and MKZ

- KCAP gets $1 billion upgrade (includes integrated stamping plant) to build full sized Transit

- F650 and F750 moving to OHAP

- Ford looking at increasing production of F150

- LAP to build new Escape and Lincoln variant

Have I missed anything significant that can be added to the list?

If all goes to plan and AAI becomes Fusion/MKZ plant, would Ford add CD4 Taurus/MKS there or just make changes at CAP?

would Ford add CD4 Taurus/MKS there or just make changes at CAP?

I don't think so. Look at the volumes that Ford needed on the Fusion/MKZ before they added production.

The old Ford inserted the Mustang at Edison and San Jose, based on less than one year's sales. They pulled it from both of those facilities about 5 years later. It may be disingenuous on my part to cite something Ford did in the 60s as a counter example, but in many important ways, I don't think Ford's production mindset changed much between that time and the mid 00s.

Edited by RichardJensen

I don't think so. Look at the volumes that Ford needed on the Fusion/MKZ before they added production.

The old Ford inserted the Mustang at Edison and San Jose, based on less than one year's sales. They pulled it from both of those facilities about 5 years later. It may be disingenuous on my part to cite something Ford did in the 60s as a counter example, but in many important ways, I don't think Ford's production mindset changed much between that time and the mid 00s.

I was thinking of rationalizing plants along the lines of platforms, CD4 (AAI), D3 (CAP), CD4S (OAP)

having Fusion, CD4 Taurus and Mustang at AAI, all D3s at Chicago and freeing up OAP for Edge and MKX.

But the more I think of it, the harder it becomes with reorganization of product s and suppliers and contracts,

Maybe the savings are not enough to justify that much disruption, just leave thing the way they are?

I think there's more of a question regarding D3: Will Ford keep the CUVs on D3, even as it migrates the cars to CD4? I have a strong suspicion that Ford will keep the big CUVs on D3; I think there's enough volume there to justify ongoing platform investment, as long as it's built in a facility in common with other vehicles.

I wonder if Ford can make a robust 7 passenger CUV on the same platform as the Fusion. I have my doubts; I think you would compromise so much in getting to that product that you may as well be working with a D3 modified to use some CD4 components (front suspension and engine cradle is what I'd SWAG).

Edited by RichardJensen

KCAP is adding a 2nd shift of 150 production.

Settles is quoted in many articles as saying that DTP will add another shift of production. Maybe his misspoke and meant KCAP, which we have known for months would add a shift after the Escape balances out. It could be fatigue since they bargained through the night.

But since I read the whole contract and not just the "highlights", I will stick with the term moron to describe him.

• Like 1

I wonder if Ford can make a robust 7 passenger CUV on the same platform as the Fusion. I have my doubts; I think you would compromise so much in getting to that product that you may as well be working with a D3 modified to use some CD4 components (front suspension and engine cradle is what I'd SWAG).

Well they do have the Galaxy and S-Max already based on the EUCD.

The EUCD already has nearly the same wheelbase as the D3 and gives up about 4 inches in width....

DTP is already on 3 shifts. There is nothing to add.

maybe they are moving you from a 3 crew pattern to a 3 shift pattern.

I suspect KCAP, which is now has 3 shifts on the Escape and 1 on the F150, will move shift over to the Truck side, when the Escape ceases production.