Custom Search

Coming Up Next:
Lincoln Aviator

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  You must first register to create topics and post replies. Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create a photo album and post images
  • Use the Shout feature and more. . .
Click here to create an account now.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2006 Freestyle

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   97 F350

97 F350

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined 30-June 09

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

We have a 2006 Freestyle with an extended warranty that is about up. The car is in great shape and my wife loves it.

We are at 95,000 miles or so and the warranty is good till about 98,000.

Should I go for another extended one?

At fordwarrantys.com I can get the Basecare warranty for $2075 or the PowertrainCare for $1675 (I can get addtional $190 off if I sign up before endo of month). This would be for additional 48,000 miles - putting us close to 150k. The two higher grade warranty's are not available at this mileage. We haven't used much on our present extended warranty - it's been a good car - but I am worried about the CVT, especially now that we are approaching 100k miles. I know if that goes, it's big bucks.

Does anybody have any experience with these Ford ESP plans? Are they worth it?
Eddie

2006 Freestyle SEL
1997 F-350 SD
1996 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang GT
1964 Falcon Sedan

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   transitman

transitman

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  • Joined 21-February 09
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • Current Vehicle:2017 Fusion SE

Posted 22 November 2011 - 09:25 AM

I'd say they are worth it if you don't want out of pocket expenses in the event of a breakdown. If you have lots of money, or you are disciplined enough to put away the initial cost and a little each week to eventually cover the total cost of a repair and not touch it, keep the money in your pocket. Where are you purchasing the warranty? Check out Harold Zeigler Automotive Group for very good prices. Make sure you check the "fine print" and get one that covers the transmission in full. I really liked my 2007 Freestyle, but I traded mine in 2009 because of transmission worries, sounds like you have had very good luck with yours.

Edited by transitman, 22 November 2011 - 09:39 AM.

2017 Fusion SE
1.5L, FWD
202A, SE Luxury Pkg
Driver Assist Pkg
Technology Pkg
Moonroof
NAV
White Gold Metallic

#3 ONLINE   akirby

akirby

fordmantpw's alter ego

• 26,200 posts
  • Joined 18-April 06
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Fusion Ti (Ruby Red)

Posted 22 November 2011 - 10:08 AM

I'd say they are worth it if you don't want out of pocket expenses in the event of a breakdown. If you have lots of money, or you are disciplined enough to put away the initial cost and a little each week to eventually cover the total cost of a repair and not touch it, keep the money in your pocket. Where are you purchasing the warranty? Check out Harold Zeigler Automotive Group for very good prices. Make sure you check the "fine print" and get one that covers the transmission in full. I really liked my 2007 Freestyle, but I traded mine in 2009 because of transmission worries, sounds like you have had very good luck with yours.

That's a good argument if you finance the warranty along with the vehicle purchase. But if you can afford to pay $1500 out of pocket for a warranty then you should be able to pay for a repair also whether it's cash or credit.

I think people are simply infatuated with the idea of not having to pay for a repair at the time of the repair and they don't really look at the big picture.

2013 Fusion Titanium (Ruby Red)
2016 Lincoln MKX Reserve (Luxe/Cappucino)

#4 OFFLINE   97 F350

97 F350

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 183 posts
  • Joined 30-June 09

Posted 06 January 2012 - 12:44 PM

We decided not to extend the warranty. (Not having the money laying around was a pretty strong decision maker) Most of the time I wouldn't even consider this - just with the horror stories I have heard of the the cost of a new CVT on the Freestyle. Hopefully we can get 150,000 or so miles out of the car before we need to replace anything major. Guess we will take the gamble.
Eddie

2006 Freestyle SEL
1997 F-350 SD
1996 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang GT
1964 Falcon Sedan

#5 OFFLINE   Hoser768

Hoser768

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 211 posts
  • Joined 30-March 09

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:12 AM

A few early CVTs had some problems with input shaft bearings as I recall. My own 05 Five Hundred has been OK up to its current 71K miles. From what I've read the CVT has a reputation for being more reliable than the Aisin 6-spd, and if something catastrophic was going to happen to the CVT, it usually happened in the original warranty period.

Current: 05 Five Hundred,94 Ranger,86 Mustang GT, 83 Thunderbird TurboCoupe, 96 Taurus LX, 83 F250, 87 Ranger SC 2.9 Auto
Past: 99 S-10 Blazer (Death by Dexcool),2000 Taurus SES (fix and sell project),03 Mustang GT Vert, 85 New Yorker, 73 F100, 85 Grand Marquis, 76 LTD, 85 Skyhawk, 76 Franken F250 dually w/ 6.9 Diesel, 81 Chevette

#6 OFFLINE   MrGarabaldi

MrGarabaldi

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 138 posts
  • Joined 12-June 01
  • Region:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:1999 F150 Lariat, Vstar 1300 Deluxe

Posted 25 October 2017 - 10:04 PM

I know that this is an older post but I will add to this.

I bought my wife her 2006 Freestyle limited in Dec 2005 and we had this car until 2013 when she drove it into an Expedition.  The car had 181,000 miles on her with the exception of a "charging light" from the aftermarket alternator.  (Yes use motorcraft parts for electrical, the newer cars are fussy)  Other than that the car was excellent.  She is in a Edge now and loves the Edge but she really liked the Freestyle, I called it "looks like a station wagon on Steroids",    To me the cars are underated and an excellent value.

• twintornados likes this
[font=System] Any problem can be solved by the proper application of high explosives

#7 OFFLINE   twintornados

twintornados

Ford fan for a long, long time.

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,233 posts
  • Joined 16-February 10
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • Current Vehicle:2011 Lincoln MKX Elite

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:39 AM

I know that this is an older post but I will add to this.

I bought my wife her 2006 Freestyle limited in Dec 2005 and we had this car until 2013 when she drove it into an Expedition.  The car had 181,000 miles on her with the exception of a "charging light" from the aftermarket alternator.  (Yes use motorcraft parts for electrical, the newer cars are fussy)  Other than that the car was excellent.  She is in a Edge now and loves the Edge but she really liked the Freestyle, I called it "looks like a station wagon on Steroids",    To me the cars are underated and an excellent value.

Especially after the first restyle and they changed the name to Taurus X, dumped the CVT and installed a 3.5L motor....i agree that it was an underrated vehicle.

Does anyone know where the love of god goes, when the waves turn the minutes to hours....Gordon Lightfoot, "Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have. ~ Gerald Ford - August 12, 1974

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy Terms of Service ·