Equity of Sacrifice Grievance

trailfndr

Salaried make varying amounts based on their grade level. For example GSR (General Salary Roll) has grades 1-8. Management has LL6-LL1. Management makes a lot more than any GSR. The GSR pay rates are confidential and cannot be posted. However, I make about $60,000 per year as a GSR 6. That is $60,000 prior to taxes and benefits coming out of my check. I don't get paid overtime even though I average roughly 10 hours per week. If I am on a launch, I work upwards of 80-90 hours without overtime. So, if you break it down that I make $1,150 per week. That should be based on 40 hours or about $26.25 an hour. But, since I work an extra 10 hours a week and don't get overtime, my hourly rate of pay drops to $23.00. Then you need to subtract my taxes and benefits on top of that.

You say the pay rates are confidential and can't be posted, then you go and post your salary in detail. Explains why your at the bottom.

Edited by DTP
  • Like 2

You say the pay rates are confidential and can't be posted, then you go and post your salary in detail. Explains why your at the bottom.

Who says he is at the bottom ?

Actually 60K for a GSR 6 sounds like mid-point.

I'm retired GSR, but when I was was working my job required me to be "on call" as well as working some holidays. Some of it was actually paid OT. Then I figured out that my "hourly rate" for OT was actually lower than my "straight time" rate due to a cap.

I liked my job, including the crazy hours.

The point is, most hourly folks have no idea how much GSR have "sacrificed" and still are (unpaid OT is still typical for most GSR and LL). Sure, the top guys (LL3-1) got huge bonuses and we aren't real happy about that either !

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 4

Who says he is at the bottom ?

Actually 60K for a GSR 6 sounds like mid-point.

I'm retired GSR, but when I was was working my job required me to be "on call" as well as working some holidays. Some of it was actually paid OT. Then I figured out that my "hourly rate" for OT was actually lower than my "straight time" rate due to a cap.

I liked my job, including the crazy hours.

The point is, most hourly folks have no idea how much GSR have "sacrificed" and still are (unpaid OT is still typical for most GSR and LL). Sure, the top guys (LL3-1) got huge bonuses and we aren't real happy about that either !

60K is around mid-point. I agree with what you are saying here. There is a huge disconnect, it seems, with hourly workers who believe that all salaried workers are making Alan Mulally money. Most are lucky to make between $60-75,000 per year. The overtime guidelines were changed under the Bush Administration and for what you may have been paid for in the past, companies do not have to pay salaried employees anymore. If you don't have OT in a contract, you are essentially screwed. I would suspect that an hourly employee who works overtime and you add their benefit package into it, makes more than most General Salaried Roll employees each year. I am not saying hourly employees shouldn't get what they are paid. I am sure they work hard and deserve every dime they get. What I am saying is most of us salaried workers aren't getting more than the hourly workers. In most cases, we are getting less.

• Like 3

I have to wonder why this grievance has taken so very long to get to this stage. I know that Arbitration can take time, but please...this is ridiculous.

I know the IUAW would like to "Negotiate" a settlement as part of the contract, as they say its the better option, and I can see how that would be a lot better for the IUAW....if it is settled as a grievance, YOU and I get paid as a correction, to our normal paychecks, have it taxed at the lower rate, AND...The IUAW doesn't get 1.15% of that money.,..

Add it to a "Signing Bonus" (which is just another way of adding to the coffers of the IUAW) and they receive a very large sum of money from you and I. Not to mention that we lose even more to higher "Bonus" taxes

If the settlement is 2000.00 (just using the number as an example) The IUAW will recieve 23.00 from each of us, multiplied by 40,000 workers = $920,000 No wonder they want the big signing bonuses...

If we were to receive the 10K number that I have heard so many times, the IUAW will receive $115.00 from each worker for a total of $4,600,000 It is little wonder what’s really seems to be happening here...The IUAW is planning on a HUGE windfall.

Edited to fix typos

The Administration Caucus leaders openly pushed the concessions, arguing that workers

at Chrysler had to sacrifice to save “their” company, and then that workers at Ford and GM must

sacrifice also – to keep “their” companies competitive with Chrysler! And, just like 2009, the

federal government extorted those concessions. Democratic President Jimmy Carter threatened

he would let Chrysler, with all its jobs, fall into bankruptcy unless workers agreed to the

concessions.

This period also saw the development of open “whipsawing,” which started at Ford but

took particularly virulent form at GM, loaded down with many old factories made redundant by

the ever-increasing productivity squeezed out of its work force. Workers at one plant were pitted

against another by union officials who advised them that the only way to keep “their” plant open

was to give the company what it wanted – and what it wanted was an end to work rules that

impeded the companies’ push for greater productivity, productivity which led to even more plant

closings.

In 1982, when Chrysler workers voted down a contract pushed by the Administration

Caucus, the Caucus came back and pushed a re-vote on the Chrysler workers, this time

accompanied by threats that workers who voted “no” would find their plants closed. Workers

fought back, mocking the procedure as a demand to “vote, and vote again until you get it right.”

• Like 2

The overtime guidelines were changed under the Bush Administration and for what you may have been paid for in the past, companies do not have to pay salaried employees anymore.

I don't believe that is correct, although there were some changes at that time.

I believe, the rules are (and always were) that salaried employees listed as "non-exempt" (GSR 1-5) must be paid OT.

GSR 5 used to be the starting point for college grad new hires, administrative assistants and junior techs. I retired 4 years ago and can't remember meeting a GSR 1-5 since back in the 1990s.

Edited by theoldwizard
  • Like 1

I believe, the rules are (and always were) that salaried employees listed as "non-exempt" (GSR 1-5) must be paid OT.

GSR 5 used to be the starting point for college grad new hires, administrative assistants and junior techs. I retired 4 years ago and can't remember meeting a GSR 1-5 since back in the 1990s.

I agree with you Wiz.

This guy is nothing but a troll-slug.

he is correct, i could not believe it went thru so easily, ot pay is not manditory for salaried employees

its also when Bush reclassifed fast food workers in the same catagory as assemblers in a factory, that made the news, but not the part about ot

• Like 1