Disabling "Global Open" feature

geost1

My new Fusion will have the "Global Open" controls on it, which open the front windows and moonroof when the unlock button is held down on the key/fob. There is already a thread on the Ford Fusion Forum discussing someone who has accidentally activated this feature while the keys were in his pocket. I'm concerned about the same thing happening with my car, as a strong believer in "Murphy's Law"! The owner's manual, downloaded off of the Ford site, says that the dealer can disable this feature.

Does anyone know if this is something that the dealer must do or can it be done by the owner? :idea:

My new Fusion will have the "Global Open" controls on it, which open the front windows and moonroof when the unlock button is held down on the key/fob. There is already a thread on the Ford Fusion Forum discussing someone who has accidentally activated this feature while the keys were in his pocket. I'm concerned about the same thing happening with my car, as a strong believer in "Murphy's Law"! The owner's manual, downloaded off of the Ford site, says that the dealer can disable this feature.

Does anyone know if this is something that the dealer must do or can it be done by the owner? :idea:

If it was user-selectable the instructions would be in the owner's manual. Since the OM says the dealer can do it then that tells me the dealer must do it.

• 2 weeks later...

If this is something that can be disabled via IDS/VCM...what about on the flipside, can this be activated as well?

On a vehicle that had it disabled or one that never had it?

I'm no mechanic but if it was just disabled then you should be able to reactivate it. Now if it was never programmed into the system, well that's the real question.... :headscratch:

If this is something that can be disabled via IDS/VCM...what about on the flipside, can this be activated as well?

Hi Duratec.:D If I understand what you are getting at, unfortunately the answer is no. It can not be "activated" on those Fusion models which were not originally equipped with "Global Open" (S, SE etc.) from the factory. "Global Open" can only be disabled/enabled on those vehicles which came equipped with the feature from the factory (and the factory default is enabled).

As far as can it be enabled/reactivated on a vehicle which had it disabled/deactivated, as geost1 stated, the answer is yes.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...

Who ever the engineer is that came up with this idea Ford should fire them as soon as possible. Thieves are going to love this feature. I came out of a store yesterday and my front windows were down. If this happened to someone that had left something in the car and a thief walked by they would laugh all the way home.

I love the global open feature on my TL and glad the Fusion has it. I have never had issues with it opening accidently, especially since I don't think I would ever be so close to the car for the remote to work unless I am walking to the car.

I wish there was a global close feature that worked when you locked the doors. I can close the windows on my TL outside the car, but have to put the key in the driver's door lock and turn left and hold it until it closes. It's better than nothing for sure though.

I was reading the owner's manual on the Motorcraft site, and I found out there IS a global close feature too by using the Lock button on the remote! An unexpected surprise.

Global Opening and Closing

Closing the Windows

Press and hold the lock button on the

remote control to begin closing the

windows and moonroof (if equipped).

Press the lock or unlock button on the

remote control to stop motion.

• Like 1

I have had this on my 2001 Audi for the last ~3 years (I've had the car for 7 years, but only found out how to enable it a few years ago) and I've never accidentally opened the windows. Personally I think it's a great feature to have, as I can easily crack the windows open while I'm walking to the car on a hot day. I can also easily close all the windows/sunroof when walking away if I forget to before I get out of the car. I don't know about the Ford keyfobs, but as much pressure as you have to put on the button (and how long you have to hold it) I would see it being very difficult to accidentally open the windows, unless you keep a lot of stuff in your jeans (and have tight jeans).

Sounds like this is a Titanium only feature, which is kind of disappointing.

I have had this on my 2001 Audi for the last ~3 years (I've had the car for 7 years, but only found out how to enable it a few years ago) and I've never accidentally opened the windows. Personally I think it's a great feature to have, as I can easily crack the windows open while I'm walking to the car on a hot day. I can also easily close all the windows/sunroof when walking away if I forget to before I get out of the car. I don't know about the Ford keyfobs, but as much pressure as you have to put on the button (and how long you have to hold it) I would see it being very difficult to accidentally open the windows, unless you keep a lot of stuff in your jeans (and have tight jeans).

Sounds like this is a Titanium only feature, which is kind of disappointing.

Its only a titanium feature? On Fords website and i think on the window stickers too for the SE it shows a global open feature. Maybe you meant the global close feature is a titanium feature. If i can remember tomorrow when i place my order for my Hybrid, i will try to see if the windows open and close with the remote on the SE .

Hi Duratec.biggrin.gif If I understand what you are getting at, unfortunately the answer is no. It can not be "activated" on those Fusion models which were not originally equipped with "Global Open" (S, SE etc.) from the factory. "Global Open" can only be disabled/enabled on those vehicles which came equipped with the feature from the factory (and the factory default is enabled).

As far as can it be enabled/reactivated on a vehicle which had it disabled/deactivated, as geost1 stated, the answer is yes.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Its only a titanium feature? On Fords website and i think on the window stickers too for the SE it shows a global open feature. Maybe you meant the global close feature is a titanium feature. If i can remember tomorrow when i place my order for my Hybrid, i will try to see if the windows open and close with the remote on the SE .

The post quoted above yours made it sound like it was not available on the S and SE. I'd be happy if he was wrong. :)

The post quoted above yours made it sound like it was not available on the S and SE. I'd be happy if he was wrong. :)

If you look at the date of that post, it was from 2011, so I am thinking they are referencing the previous generation Fusion. I read the owners manual online, and I copied the text from it onto a previous post above. The global close feature is a pleasant surprise :)

If you look at the date of that post, it was from 2011, so I am thinking they are referencing the previous generation Fusion. I read the owners manual online, and I copied the text from it onto a previous post above. The global close feature is a pleasant surprise :)

So global close/open is available on SE too?

Haha, whops, didn't even notice the date! I'm glad to see I'll have that on my Fusion, it's a great feature.

• 2 weeks later...

I hate to disagree with the people that say this can't happen by accident. But I must.

The only reason I am here reading this today is my wife said I had to find out how to disable it before there is snow on the sunroof. I activate this feature at least once a month with the car in the garage and me sitting watching TV in the house.

We have never used it intentionally so I guess I will have the dealer disable it the next time I can get the car there. I wish it were something that you could do yourself like reprogramming the key fob with a long series of on/off lock/unlock events. I'll check with the dealer before I take it in.

Yeah, in the manual it says you'll have to see your dealer for activating/deactivating it. Do you guys keep your keys in your pockets at all times or something? I'd be more concerned about setting off the panic alarm, unlocking the car or popping the truck and going to sleep for the night and find stuff stolen in the morning if it's outside. I guess it's no different than rolling all the windows down by accident either. But, I don't normally have my keys in my pockets when I'm chilling in the house for the day.

• Like 2

Yes. My keys are always in my pocket. I have set off the alarm when fishing for something else in the pocket but never just by sitting there.

The alarm and trunk buttons are more recessed. the lock and unlock are on the top of a bump. (also you have to hit/release/hit to open the trunk)

For me it really only ever happens when the car is safely in the garage.

I called the dealer and the guy I talked to at the service desk had no idea what I was talking about. I'll try again later when I can talk to one of the better ones. I've bought 5 cars and had all the service done for the last 20 years at the same shop. I know everyone.

Yeah, they should be able to look it up for you anyways. It can be turned on and off by the dealer somehow. I, personally think it would be neat to have this feature. But, I can see how it could get annoying in situations like yours. Good luck with the dealer, and let us know what they say, or how they've done it. Would be interesting to know.