August 2011 Sales Results

Dude, it was a joke!

I know, was being sarcastic.

The problem is that your looking at this way too narrow minded and are looking for an excuse why the Ranger needs to be still around. You talk about 4WD...who needs that besides the very small percentage that may go off-roading? You talk about Tall items...how many times do need to do that over the time you own the truck?

A Transit Connect is a great replacement for a 2WD Ranger that is used by Auto Parts Stores or other small cargo type uses like Cable Guys, Security Installs etc. A Escape (or even an Edge) is a far better choice for families who need extra room to stick kids or people behind the driver or in the situation where a more "off road" truck (think Park Ranger) is needed. Both are far better to drive around (less Taxing to drive and overall more comfortable)

No excuses, we still have plenty of new/newer Rangers running the roads around here. AWD is not the same as 4WD. Experience deep snow, like we get quite often, and you'd understand why slightly better ground clearance and true 4WD is much more beneficial. My '96 Explorer 4.0L OHV 4x4 was much better in the snow and off-road than my '99 Explorer 5.0L AWD was. AWD or 2WD may be decent in rain and light snow, but makes a HUGE difference when the weather gets much worse.

You clearly must not be a truck owner. I haul tall items quite frequently in my F150 Screw, and did so in my '02 F150 Scab, '85 Ranger Rcab and '99 Ranger Scab. There are reasons people purchase pickups and not a TC, CUV or car, but many don't understand that I guess. To me, it sounds more like you're trying to make excuses for the Escape and TC than I am for people who truly need/want a truck. I guess by your logic, no one needs an F150, they will do just fine with an Expy or E150. So Ford might as well cancel the F150 lineup. You see how stupid that sounds?

So you named a few professions where the TC may work better, your point is? There are plenty of professions out there that they won't and and open bed is needed or much more desirable. And yeah, a CUV may be better for families, but not everyone who drives a pickup has a family, or has their work vehicle as their family hauler. And to each your own. You consider a CUV or car more comfortable, totally fine. I find a truck much more comfortable to drive, otherwise instead of all the trucks I've owned, I would have purchase a car at some point.

22 inch wheels. Get it right! And yeah, regardless of tires, neither the Edge nor Escape are ideally suited for driving in a foot of snow. If I lived somewhere that got snow regularly, I would have a set of wheels with snow tires on them for winter.

Actually, the Escape isn't that bad of a snow vehicle. I know my aunts '10 Escape is much more capable than the my cousins '08 Edge (which he traded for a '10 Expy) was.

In 2008, the SDSU soccer team won the Summit tournament and got the autobid for the NCAA tournament. The pod included Notre Dame, Minnesota, SDSU and #16 ranked Colorado.

The pod ended up in Minneapolis because that was cheaper than sending everyone to Boulder, and the Goofs weren't too far back of the Buffaloes.

Anyway....

Like the Tuesday or Wednesday before the match (the College Cup is played in November), I'm reading an interview with the Colorado coach, and when asked about playing in Minneapolis, he says, "We're in Colorado. We're used to winter."

And that's when I knew they were in trouble. Snow isn't the same as cold. You can get a ton of snow on a balmy 28 degree day. The Black Hills gets a LOT of snow, but it's seldom as cold as it is on the east side of the state. Even if it's always like ten degrees colder in Lead (where 2005Explorer lives) than it is on the edge of the Hills.

SDSU, playing in basically the same conditions they'd been practicing in for the past few weeks beat Colorado 1-0, and the Colorado coach found out what winter *really* feels like.

Winter trash talk - count me in the smackdown! Don't make me have to post pictures of Loveland, Rabbit Ears, Red Mountain, and Berthod Pass in winter! A lot of us in Colorado spend a great deal of time in the winter season at > double the altitude of Devnver/Boulder....I was skiing fresh powder at 13k feet on the continental divide on May 5th 2011. No such thing as a snow day here! A snow day is a powder day and all the more reason to get out and play! You can't win this one!

And for you flatlanders and winter wannabee's: when you don't see any trees, that's above the timberline, or much to Toyota's embarrassment, the real alpine "tundra".

post-13728-0-42632900-1315409217_thumb.jpg

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

Actually, the Escape isn't that bad of a snow vehicle. I know my aunts '10 Escape is much more capable than the my cousins '08 Edge (which he traded for a '10 Expy) was.

The only thing I can possibly see making a difference is the weight. The Escape might ride on top of the snow a bit better, but it really has no advantage in terms of ground clearance or AWD configuration.

The only thing I can possibly see making a difference is the weight. The Escape might ride on top of the snow a bit better, but it really has no advantage in terms of ground clearance or AWD configuration.

Minimum ground clearance is only one measurement to the lowest hanging piece under the car. Two vehicles may have the same measurement, but if on one the lowest point is to a shock mount and the other it is the front bumper cover, they won't be equal in deep snow. One becomes a snowplow.

• Like 1

Minimum ground clearance is only one measurement to the lowest hanging piece under the car. Two vehicles may have the same measurement, but if on one the lowest point is to a shock mount and the other it is the front bumper cover, they won't be equal in deep snow. One becomes a snowplow.

True enough, but you're still talking about an Escape and an Edge. Neither of them really sit high in comparison to an F-150, Wrangler, or Expedition. The only particularly low point under the Edge is the exhaust.

Winter trash talk - count me in the smackdown! Don't make me have to post pictures of Loveland, Rabbit Ears, Red Mountain, and Berthod Pass in winter! A lot of us in Colorado spend a great deal of time in the winter season at > double the altitude of Devnver/Boulder....I was skiing fresh powder at 13k feet on the continental divide on May 5th 2011. No such thing as a snow day here! A snow day is a powder day and all the more reason to get out and play! You can't win this one!

And for you flatlanders and winter wannabee's: when you don't see any trees, that's above the timberline, or much to Toyota's embarrassment, the real alpine "tundra".

I was vacationing aroung RMNP the first week of August this year. We drove up to Rollins pass from Winter Park. There were still several drifts on the road we had to drive around and a couple of big mud holes to go through. At the top there was evidence of recent snowboard activity around King Lake. No doubt, in mountain country winter is never far away.

• Like 1

It also has narrower tires then the Edge.

The Edge Sport has 265 width tires and the Escape only has 225 or 235 Width tires...crap the tires on the Edge are even wider then a Mustang!

Well, that depends. From my time living down there, in the winter sure 3M was true. But April to Oct, heck half the population go home for summer (snow birds).

Maybe you should look up some statistics before you try to accuse someone of exaggerating numbers.

BTW, the only thing you were right on, is the fact that my numbers were wrong. However, they were not high, they were way low (as I based my numbers on the last time I lived in the Valley).

Actual 2010 census numbers put the population of the Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa area (the Phx metropolitan area) at 4,192,887. Remember that census counts are taken after the "snowbirds" leave. Snowbirds numbers are counted in the state that they call home.

http://

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/living/a/census01_2.htm

So, based on those numbers, the few Foci on the ground is even more pathetic.

It also has narrower tires then the Edge.

The Edge Sport has 265 width tires and the Escape only has 225 or 235 Width tires...crap the tires on the Edge are even wider then a Mustang!

Would ya quit using the Sport for comparison! :P In true snow belt areas anyone with half a brain wouldn't be using the factory wheel/tire combo in winter.

You're right on there brother. Rabbit Ears is always a fun trek in the winter. You see some parts of the mountains were receiving snow today, mostly above 10.5Kft, which is roughly twice the elevation of Denver.

And for those referencing cold, here in Denver it doesn't get to bad. Snow for a day, then two days later it's gone (due to the amount of sunlight and the intensity of the sun here). Now climb up the mountain to places like Leadville, or down to the valley's like Alamosa, or say Gunnison and you'll notice a considerable difference in climate, especially in winter.

True enough, but you're still talking about an Escape and an Edge. Neither of them really sit high in comparison to an F-150, Wrangler, or Expedition. The only particularly low point under the Edge is the exhaust.

Actually, the Expy has quite a bit of low hanging suspension, especially the IRS arms. Don't be mislead by the front bumper.

Maybe you should look up some statistics before you try to accuse someone of exaggerating numbers.

BTW, the only thing you were right on, is the fact that my numbers were wrong. However, they were not high, they were way low (as I based my numbers on the last time I lived in the Valley).

Actual 2010 census numbers put the population of the Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa area (the Phx metropolitan area) at 4,192,887. Remember that census counts are taken after the "snowbirds" leave. Snowbirds numbers are counted in the state that they call home.

http://

http://phoenix.about.com/cs/living/a/census01_2.htm

So, based on those numbers, the few Foci on the ground is even more pathetic.

Wow, mighty defensive there, I was being sarcastic. And I know the population. I've lived there a few years back (Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert). I visit there about once a year or two. Still have quite a few friends down there too. And I keep up with the city and the changes it has gone threw since I moved.

Actually, the Expy has quite a bit of low hanging suspension, especially the IRS arms. Don't be mislead by the front bumper.

Eh, IRS arms are tricky to really judge, since on most obstacles you'd be traversing, they'll be moving upward along with the tire. Only time you really run into trouble there is when you are driving over an object that travels between both tires.

You're right on there brother. Rabbit Ears is always a fun trek in the winter. You see some parts of the mountains were receiving snow today, mostly above 10.5Kft, which is roughly twice the elevation of Denver.

And for those referencing cold, here in Denver it doesn't get to bad. Snow for a day, then two days later it's gone (due to the amount of sunlight and the intensity of the sun here). Now climb up the mountain to places like Leadville, or down to the valley's like Alamosa, or say Gunnison and you'll notice a considerable difference in climate, especially in winter.

Wow, mighty defensive there, I was being sarcastic. And I know the population. I've lived there a few years back (Tempe, Mesa and Gilbert). I visit there about once a year or two. Still have quite a few friends down there too. And I keep up with the city and the changes it has gone threw since I moved.

Touche' I was not the one who tried to discredit my numbers as being an egaggeration. It is now convenient, since you have been caught, to state you were being sarcastic. In the vein of the post that you questioned, what exactly, does said sarcasm accomplish??

You seem to have a tendency to be negative, for negativities sake. Especially where Ford is concerned. The question then becomes, is your opinion more valid as someone who would not buy the Explorer or Escape anyway.................. or the Mom who has bought this segment in the past, and may again?? Oh yeah, and she just so happens to have more off-road experience than you would ever dream of, so don't play the off-roading card here.

Ice storms are even worse

Oh yeah. Glad we don't get many of those.

Being a Minnesota boy, it was fun to watch.

Yep. You know what I mean about 'wimps' and 'morons'.......

A snow day is a powder day

Like I said. Snow is not the same as cold.

winter wannabee's

Let me know when you consider 15 degrees on a sunny day 'coat optional' weather.

And FWIW, I didn't sleep through 7th grade geography and therefore know what the timberline is, and what makes tundra tundra.

Do you, my jive-talking Coloradoan, know what's significant about this little pond here?

post-15194-0-96542600-1315448685_thumb.jpg

And FWIW, I didn't sleep through 7th grade geography and therefore know what the timberline is, and what makes tundra tundra.

Do you, my jive-talking Coloradoan, know what's significant about this little pond here?

I give up...go ahead and tell me

RJ, I would have bet the ranch that you- of all people would know about the geographical makeup of the rocky mountains, but how much time have you actually spent there? Yes, I have been to Minn in January, and yes it is cold. But the high alpine of the Rockies is another world.

Next time you are in an aircraft that has one of those continuous GPS readouts, and you are flying at or north of 40 degrees latitude in winter- when the altitude reads 13,000 ft, check the outside temperature and wind speed...that is what I am talking about. :cold:

What does all this have to do with Fords? I moved to Colorado 24 years ago in a 1986 Ranger 4x4. Since then I have driven regularly in the mountains with: 1992 F150 4x4, 1997 F150 4x4, 1998 Explorer 4x4, and 2008 Explorer 4x4. While all the vehicles have been stellar winter performers, I would have to say the 2008 Explorer is by far the best, followed by the 1998 Explorer. The SUVs perform in snow and winter driving better than an unloaded pickup truck. Even with much higher clearance on the trucks, the SUVs front to rear weight distribution is much better to handle crazy snow, and winter driving. Looking them over, I would have the utmost confidence in an Escape and Edge - with decent winter tires of course!

And - I am tired of reading comments that all generations of Explorers are not really proficient off-roaders. Both my '98 and '08 Explorers could handle all but the most insane 4x4 and US Forest Service roads here in Colorado. The narrow '98 was especially nimble off-road. The Explorer is as good as any of it's competitors were during the course of its existence - comparing year to year and generation to generation. More specialized vehicles like Wrangler are of course in a different class, but head to head with other BOF SUVs of the '90s and '00s, the Explorer did just fine.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 1

I give up...go ahead and tell me

That is the southernmost reach of the Hudson Bay watershed, also known as the Northern Continental divide. It's a slough at the south end of Lake Traverse.

RJ, I would have bet the ranch that you- of all people would know about the geographical makeup of the rocky mountains, but how much time have you actually spent there?

I spend about two weeks there every three years, on average. I've been there in Feb., April, July, September, October, and probably a couple other months in between. I haven't been to Boulder, Colorado Springs or the southern end of the Front Range, and I haven't driven I-70, but I've been to Ouray, RMNP, Estes Park, through the Rockies on the California Zephyr, Meeker, Grand Junction, the Black Canyon, the Monument, etc. I know that on a clear day you can see Long's Peak from Cheyenne, and my next goals are hiking Mt. Buchanan and going to the top of the Grand Mesa.

Both my '98 and '08 Explorers could handle all but the most insane 4x4 and US Forest Service roads here in Colorado.

I suspect that the current Explorer gives up little capability apart from the loss of the 4-Lo setting.

Touche' I was not the one who tried to discredit my numbers as being an egaggeration. It is now convenient, since you have been caught, to state you were being sarcastic. In the vein of the post that you questioned, what exactly, does said sarcasm accomplish??

You seem to have a tendency to be negative, for negativities sake. Especially where Ford is concerned. The question then becomes, is your opinion more valid as someone who would not buy the Explorer or Escape anyway.................. or the Mom who has bought this segment in the past, and may again?? Oh yeah, and she just so happens to have more off-road experience than you would ever dream of, so don't play the off-roading card here.

Caught? For what being a smart ass and poking fun at your figures and snow birds. It was a joke, get over it.

What exactly did the sarcasm accomplish? Possibly a good laugh for those that know a little about Phoenix (but not you of course) and the snow bird migration. The fact is, anyone who knows the slightest about Phoenix, knows it is the 6th (formerly the 5th) largest populated city in the states. Those that know a thing or two about Phoenix, know about the snow bird migration and how it feels like the population doubles in the winter.

When have I been negative about the F-Series lineup? How about the Ranger or the current Escape or the Flex, or the Mustang? Oh yeah that's right. It must be be because I dislike the Explorer and am willing to admit so on this forum and disagree with you and others, that supposedly makes me "negative". Heck, I've agreed on points with you (and I beleive your husband on a very rare occasion) here, or at FTE a few times in the past. And who exactly stated my opinion was more valid than someone else? As I've always stated, I just attempt to provide my opinion. Take it for what it's worth. Some agree, some don't. If you disagree, I'm cool with it, explain your reasoning. Just don't try to convince me that you're always right and I'm wrong though.

And off-road experience, you may have your fair share, I don't know you from Adam. But please do no act like you are the all mighty off-road queen if you surely do not know my experience either. You know what they call that right, assuming??? I've done the the baja type deals down outside Queen Creek and south of Phoenix, wheeled outside of Flagstaff as well as out by Show Low at my friends property, just for a few AZ spots. CO, I've been all over the state wheeling. Been a passenger wheeling since I was in elementary school, in old school Jeeps, Broncos and Scouts growing up, and has been a steady hobby of mine since I started driving. But it's good know you are supposedly the know it all and best at every item any man (or woman) could do, even when you have no knowledge of who you speak too.

Personally it seems you are an old grouchy lady that is easily offended and can't stand anyone saying anything negative (or sarcastically) about AZ or Ford products, or simply disagreeing with you.

Edited by V8-X

I know about winter complaints. We've got the cold and the snow. I understand WHY cities like Atlanta and Dallas are crippled by minimal amounts of snow...but it doesn't mean it isn't funny. As for cold, well, when a very cold night is -20F here and -40F in International Falls, I don't really see the difference. So I don't call them morons.

That's why I'm happy to live here. I couldn't stand living in a city like Atlanta and have the only day they get snow be the only day the city shuts down. Forget that. I'd rather just deal with it everyday and have the city shut down once a year during a huge storm.

• Like 1

I know about winter complaints. We've got the cold and the snow. I understand WHY cities like Atlanta and Dallas are crippled by minimal amounts of snow...but it doesn't mean it isn't funny. As for cold, well, when a very cold night is -20F here and -40F in International Falls, I don't really see the difference. So I don't call them morons.

That's why I'm happy to live here. I couldn't stand living in a city like Atlanta and have the only day they get snow be the only day the city shuts down. Forget that. I'd rather just deal with it everyday and have the city shut down once a year during a huge storm.

Your Brewers look good! I know you have been waiting a long time...congrats on the great season and good luck in October!

I suspect that the current Explorer gives up little capability apart from the loss of the 4-Lo setting.

Exactly.

When you have a great 6-speed auto with a super low first, there's very few occasions where that won't do in a pinch.

Is the Explorer even less truck like?......Yes.

Is that necessarily a bad thing?......No

I had the...displeasure, of visiting a small "post" (I wont even call that a tone), on the tip of western Alaska, called Point Hope. It was a very educating experience to see how people in those places lived. Everything was Expy, Tahoe, Explorers. Some of the "inuit' said that Fords usually do better in starting up over GMs (this was many years ago, not sure if this still holds true). Houses are usually up on stilts since the ground sort of moves. Houses are painted in very vivid color, and being 2 days there I can see why depression would set in on anyone. The "post/village/township" has no more than 300 inhabitants. No roads in or out, just an airstrip. And when a part in your car breaks down, well...good luck in trying to fix it yourself.

Thanks! It's been kind of a rough go the last week, but I'm hoping they can an easy-ish wrap to the season to get into the playoffs strong. We'll see.

The Brewers certainly have the Pirates' number. Despite our brief flirtation with First Place a couple of months ago, it looks like we are on our way to 19 consecutive losing seasons.