August 2011 Sales Results

To underscore the Focus inventory issues, I checked inventory at all of the major Ford dealerships in the Phx metro area.

Just FYI, the Phx Metro area encompasses more than 3 million people.

5 of the largest Ford dealers have 1 each. 1

3 others showed a total of 31, although we do not know how many of those are on the ground, due to how they show inventory.

So, for 8 HUGE dealerships. There is 36

Most of these dealerships try to have that many............................ each.

Fusion is also in almost non existant supply, but I understand some of that is due to 2012 model changeover. Explorer is also in pitiful supply. Fiesta is not much better. Mustang isn't great either. About the only thing there seems to be quite a few of, is Escape.

Ford is being very tight on inventory. Good for them, from a restrain perspective, but not so good for those who view numbers as everything.

NLP, come on up to Payson, AZ. We have a Ecoboost Flex at our local dealership. It is the only one they have.

Edited by Extreme4x4

Here's my rule of thumb: if cloth seats are standard on *any* vehicle in the lineup, it's not a luxury brand.

And there are no 'entry level' luxury brands.

Oh no!!! I HATE leather seats!! Hate them!! They are a pain in the butt. They require too much upkeep and no matter how much of that leather conditioner you apply sooner or later the leather just looks old and weathered and wrinkled. I will never own another car with leather seats!! NEVER!!!! So, . . . . no luxury cars for me I guess.

Seriously though, . . . . I hate leather seats. They suck.

To underscore the Focus inventory issues, I checked inventory at all of the major Ford dealerships in the Phx metro area.

Just FYI, the Phx Metro area encompasses more than 3 million people.

5 of the largest Ford dealers have 1 each. 1

3 others showed a total of 31, although we do not know how many of those are on the ground, due to how they show inventory.

So, for 8 HUGE dealerships. There is 36

Most of these dealerships try to have that many............................ each.

Fusion is also in almost non existant supply, but I understand some of that is due to 2012 model changeover. Explorer is also in pitiful supply. Fiesta is not much better. Mustang isn't great either. About the only thing there seems to be quite a few of, is Escape.

Ford is being very tight on inventory. Good for them, from a restrain perspective, but not so good for those who view numbers as everything.

NLP, come on up to Payson, AZ. We have a Ecoboost Flex at our local dealership. It is the only one they have.

So I understand inventory from a cash flow perspective. But could sales have been up even more if the inventory levels were higher? Are people looking at the Focus - not seeing what they want and cross shopping the Cruze? I for one, will not deal with dealer trades, I don't want to buy a car without going over every inch of before I sign. Some people don't want to put up with the dealer trade thing, or want to have any significant miles driven on it to reach their local dealership.

Oh no!!! I HATE leather seats!! Hate them!! They are a pain in the butt. They require too much upkeep and no matter how much of that leather conditioner you apply sooner or later the leather just looks old and weathered and wrinkled. I will never own another car with leather seats!! NEVER!!!! So, . . . . no luxury cars for me I guess.

To each their own, I guess. I don't plan on getting another vehicle without leather unless the cloth REALLY impresses me and covers heated seats.

Kind of ironic that Ford is killing off a vehicle that saw a 50% (Ranger) increase for the same month a year ago on a vehicle that has not had an update in over a decade. With high gas prices Ford is going to Lose a lot of business to competitors over this one.....

Yeah as much as I love the ranger, it's most likely because people want em before they're gone for good.

F-series was essentially flat YOY. When did the new engines start hitting lots last year for the F-series?

Also, this month GM (Silv/Sierra) outsold F-series. Ford has been outselling them combined most months recently.

GM sales up 18%

gm sales

You will also notice that GM are dropping a shift because Silverado inventories are really climbing,

better start stoking up those big incentives again....

J

My F150 is over 5 years old, and the leather is still damn near perfect. Just wish I had heated seats.

My Focus has cloth, and I like that too.

Perhaps someone can shed some light on this. The Ford report lists "Heavy Trucks" at 3948 YTD August.

I assume this is class 6 and 7 (650/750). Assuming that is in fact what Ford lists under "heavy", the MAYytd number for 6 and 7 as reported by Heavy Duty Trucking is 4279-over 300 units more for five months vs. eight.

Anyone have an explanation? The HDT numbers are reported as "US Retail Sales".

I notice you include Fiat 500 in B segment. Isn't the 500 A segment vehicle?

I did begin including the 500 in the B-segment listing (just last month, IIRC) as I was asked to include it on another site. Going forward, I may retitle the lists "Compact" and "Sub-Compact", as I would rather not have to group just the 500 and Smart in their own category. Perhaps once the Spark goes on sale here I'll do a full breakdown of an independent A-segment.

i want a 6.2L boss in a stripper f150..no carpet, no power windows or locks, marine vinyl bench seat or simulated buckets with center dillio console, premium leather wrapped steering wheel, slider rear window, 20inch sneakers for about $27K (4 by 4)...with that i might consider an F150 as the truck is too damn expensive....now mustang sales while up 3% still gives me concern...i did not know ford made a car outside the stang...news to me that they did...ranger we will have in the garage in 8 to 10 weeks...i really do not understand all this bitching about inventory...nobody else has anything on the lot either..learn some patience and just order what you want..ford WILL BUILD IT....if you like, after it arrives, i bet the dealership will even add on those truck nuts for your fiesta so you can be unique in your neighborhood..snoots out-god speed

• Like 1

We MUST get that production rate up on the Focus. The Chevy Cruze is running 3 shifts...Ford Focus is on only 2 limited production shifts. We will never catch the Cruze (Redone Aveo) at this rate. I am glad to see the Flex is doing better. Why are we not changing that 3 year old grill..other than offering a new one on ONLY Titanium Version for 2012? The Flex is sweet but has looked the same for over 3 years or since its launch. I also hope we get the jump on the new Malibu when they launch it in the Spring...we need to get the new 2013 Taurus on dealer lots before they do. Thats what happened with the Cruze...it beat the Focus by a number of months. People are NOT buying the 2012 Taurus ($1000 rebates) because they are waiting for the new 2013....myself included.

Listening to the call right now...sounds like Focus production was way up in August, so that should address inventory issues in the coming months.

We MUST get that production rate up on the Focus. The Chevy Cruze is running 3 shifts...Ford Focus is on only 2 limited production shifts. We will never catch the Cruze (Redone Aveo) at this rate. I am glad to see the Flex is doing better. Why are we not changing that 3 year old grill..other than offering a new one on ONLY Titanium Version for 2012? The Flex is sweet but has looked the same for over 3 years or since its launch. I also hope we get the jump on the new Malibu when they launch it in the Spring...we need to get the new 2013 Taurus on dealer lots before they do. Thats what happened with the Cruze...it beat the Focus by a number of months. People are NOT buying the 2012 Taurus ($1000 rebates) because they are waiting for the new 2013....myself included.

A few points...

-Focus production has been snagged by a supply issue of the dash. IIRC, they are using a new manufacturing process for the dash and only 2 such machines exist. I believe that the supplier is getting production back up to normal levels now.

-The Flex is set to receive an MCE for the 2013 model year, launching in Q1 of 2012.

-The all new, 2013 Fusion should be closely behind Malibu's launch. Oddly enough, the 2013 Malibu SFE (with eAssist, mild hybrid technology) launches much earlier than the rest of the range, to be sold along side the outgoing model for several months.

:rolleyes: Progress. Would you rather the Escape become the Ranger?

I have never said they shouldn't update it. I just don't agree with the direction they are taking it. I bet it upsets you to see the Escape at the top of the compact SUV sales every month outselling all those rounded off urbanized wagons that you think look so much better.

• Like 1

I notice you include Fiat 500 in B segment. Isn't the 500 A segment vehicle?

Until Chevy Spark and Scion iQ starts selling next year, 500 is the only A-segment car in the US. It's kind of pointless to have it in its own category unless you have something to compare to.

I bet it upsets you to see the Escape at the top of the compact SUV sales every month outselling all those rounded off urbanized wagons that you think look so much better.

On the contrary - it makes us think WOW - sales of the new escape will be that much better than the current one and will really kick ass.

Actually sales may be flat but ATPs and profits will be higher.

On the contrary - it makes us think WOW - sales of the new escape will be that much better than the current one and will really kick ass.

Actually sales may be flat but ATPs and profits will be higher.

It remains to be seen if sales of the new Escape are going to be "that much better" then the current one. As far as making thousands of dollars more per unit as you claim they will we will see about that. They would be running right into the Edge price range if they try and jack up the new Escape a few thousand dollars. If anything they might be looking at a few hundred more per vehicle, but if the sales go down it will take a lot to make up the difference. A $40K Escape even at the higher end of the line is going to be a tough sell.

• Like 1

It remains to be seen if sales of the new Escape are going to be "that much better" then the current one. As far as making thousands of dollars more per unit as you claim they will we will see about that. They would be running right into the Edge price range if they try and jack up the new Escape a few thousand dollars. If anything they might be looking at a few hundred more per vehicle, but if the sales go down it will take a lot to make up the difference. A $40K Escape even at the higher end of the line is going to be a tough sell.

A fully optioned Escape with all the goodies should be more than a base Edge. The money is in the options and the new styling makes it more appealing to a broader customer base who would be willing to pay a little more.

You just don't get it, and never will.

A fully optioned Escape with all the goodies should be more than a base Edge. The money is in the options and the new styling makes it more appealing to a broader customer base who would be willing to pay a little more.

You just don't get it, and never will.

A fully optioned Escape is more then a base Edge right now. That is not what I am talking about. I am talking about your dreams of Ford getting thousands more for every Escape and selling as many or more then they do today. Your not a small SUV customer so you don't get it. You don't care about value for the money, but small SUV buyers do. Your a luxury buyer and money is no object. You want Ford to raise prices as high as possible and you are ready to pay them no matter what. I want good value for my money. I'd pay a little more if more value and features are offered, but I am not going to pay a bigger price just for the Ford oval.

Edited by 2005Explorer
  • Like 1

I'd pay a little more if more value and features are offered, but I am not going to pay a bigger price just for the Ford oval.

That is the balance Ford is striving for. As long as you don't opt for the Titanium type editions they are very comparable to their competition....better I'd say. Nothing wrong with the Titanium Editions, they have unique features.......and price tags.