'12 Focus low fuel warning

mrgdr57

Anyone discover the low fuel warning trigger point for the 2012 Focus? The OM doesn't appear to specify. I've been as low as two gallons remaining and have yet to get a warning indicator/message.

Did you check the DTE display? I'd be surprised if it was different than previous Fords which would mean it triggers at 50 miles to empty.

Did you check the DTE display? I'd be surprised if it was different than previous Fords which would mean it triggers at 50 miles to empty.

Yes. I fully expected to see a warning at 50 miles to empty but no go. IIRC, I've been down as low as about 42 MTE without getting a warning. Oddly (at least in my opinion), DTE on the Focus calculates extremely closely to zero based on current average MPG. If you're getting 25 MPG and you hit 50 MTE and refuel, it will take approximately 10 gallons to fill up to 12.4 gallons. I'm used to having a two gallon buffer where hitting zero DTE means you've still got about two left in the tank. The LS and MKX both do that (as did the last non-FMC vehicle I had) but they also have 50% larger tanks than the Focus and I suspect that might give the engineers some room to play with DTE, warnings and gauge indications.

Edited by mrgdr57

Yes. I fully expected to see a warning at 50 miles to empty but no go. IIRC, I've been down as low as about 42 MTE without getting a warning. Oddly (at least in my opinion), DTE on the Focus calculates extremely closely to zero based on current average MPG. If you're getting 25 MPG and you hit 50 MTE and refuel, it will take approximately 10 gallons to fill up to 12.4 gallons. I'm used to having a two gallon buffer where hitting zero DTE means you've still got about two left in the tank. The LS and MKX both do that (as did the last non-FMC vehicle I had) but they also have 50% larger tanks than the Focus and I suspect that might give the engineers some room to play with DTE, warnings and gauge indications.

I'll be sure to tell my daughter not to push it. Thanks for pointing that out Gary.

I have to concur as to no idiot light or warning for low fuel. We've gone down as to 25 miles left on the display and no warning light. 08 Focus had it, why not the 2012?

But it does have a warning.

From page 15 of the 2nd edition OM:

Low fuel: Illuminates when the fuel

level in the fuel tank is at or near

empty.

The question is: When does it illuminate? It's beginning to sound like it comes on when you're SOL empty. Not exactly a helpful warning. WTH?

Edited by mrgdr57

empty.

The question is: When does it illuminate? It's beginning to sound like it comes on when you're SOL empty. Not exactly a helpful warning. WTH?

I guess Ford wants us to just use the SOL light that goes off in our heads then. 25 miles to empty is way too close for me. We were trying to get the low fuel light on and was in town with gas stations on every corner so that's how we found out.

empty.

The first Focus did the same. It wasn't clear when the light would be on. I think it was assumed that you had a bare minimum amount in the gas tank when it reached the red line (for some reason, I have it in my head that it was only a gallon). I had friends whose light would come on, and it'd be totally empty. Others had it where they had a few gallons left. What made matters worse is that earlier Focus models in early 2000s had fuel sending unit issues, so people would have erratic readings on their gauges and different cases of the light coming on.

I just tossed the question on Facebook to see what they say. I'll probably stump them more than anything :)

All this discussion about when the DTE light comes on is puzzling. I guess it would be of some interest as a reference point to know how much fuel is in the tank, but who wants to get that close to empty and risk running out. I ran out of gas once in 39 years of driving. I was 17, drunk and had to walk home 12 miles because it was 3am and no one was on the road. It was a long time ago, but I do clearly remember it sucked. I drive from Minneapolis to Phoenix and back and always fill up when the gauge is still above 1/4 tank and when at home between 1/4 and 1/2 tank. If it's as inconsistent as what I'm reading here, why push it. I don't know, I guess I don't care when it lights up and I may never find out, I like riding more than walking, especially when the sign reads 15 miles to next exit, No Services.

• Like 1

Agreed. Depending upon one's driving and vehicle maintenance habits, for some, it probably doesn't really matter. For those who rely upon such things, it might mean the difference between driving and walking, depending on the circumstances. If indeed it does work as described in the OM, I'm curious as to why the Focus is designed to provide (IMHO) such a thoroughly insufficient warning. It just seems logical that in the case of an impending critical situation, more advance notice is preferable to less.

Someone on the Explorer forum here at BO ask me this question when I ran out of gas in front of a gas station in my '11 Explorer. The question was, how far past 0 MTE was I when I ran out of gas. I think it was 19 miles past 0 MTE and I determined I had .8 gallons at 0 MTE. This is exactly what my '09 FEH has at 0 MTE. My '05 FEH had 1.3 gallons left at 0 MTE so Ford may have decreased the amount of fuel at 0 MTE. The only way to know how much gas is in the tank is calculate your average MPG after 0 MTE until you run out of gas. I reset trip 2 when I hit the 50 MTE warning for a number of reasons as a hypermiler and reset trip 2 again at 0 MTE to determine how far I go past 0 MTE. E10 is mandated in Florida and starts going bad after 30 days. This is one reason why I prefer to fill with the freshest gas from a busy gas station and take the tank as low as possible just before filling. For the Explorer, about 10 miles past 0 MTE is my limit before a fill-up now. I also only get a gallon of gas (E10) at a time for my lawn equipment so it does not go bad before I use it. Same thing for my boat gas tank which is 63 gallons. I can't burn that much E10 in 30 days, so I never add more than I need before a trip fishing or diving.

My son is the sole driver in my '12 Focus and I can't comment on that car other than he will take it near 0 MTE, but not passed it before a refill. He has now reached hypermiling status with a 33.456 Lifetime MPG average from the first mile on the OD from the factory:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=3738

I think originally mine was 50. However, after the 2.11 update it went off at 38. I am wondering if the MFT (and how busy it happens to be) is affecting it.

Thank you. I'm satisfied to see that at least one driver has experienced the warning. Did you get a lamp and/or a message?

This is silly.

Here is a warning for anyone worrying about Ford's insufficient one:

Monitor the fuel level. Think.

This warning is fail proof.

ranchero

Snarky, much? Well of course monitoring fuel level is a driver's responsibility; that's not the issue. This is about a convenience feature that (arguably) doesn't provide much convenience. A warning issued when the fuel tank is "at or near empty" is not a warning - it's an simply idiot light and appropriately named.

For the record, my 'low fuel warning' comes on at about 40 miles to empty. It is signaled by a chime and warning light. At this point I can put about 11 gallons in the tank. Seems to be pretty consistent.

Vinnie

I just ask my son and he confirmed the same thing in his '12 Focus SEL. There is no warning at 50, 25, 10 and 0 miles like my other Fords. In my '11 Explorer, I have to clear the warning and light by pushing the OK button on the steering wheel. There is a new warning to be cleared each time you restart the Explorer if you are at or below 50 MTE.

For the record, my 'low fuel warning' comes on at about 40 miles to empty. It is signaled by a chime and warning light. At this point I can put about 11 gallons in the tank. Seems to be pretty consistent.

Vinnie

Thank you all for sharing. I appreciate the feedback. It would appear from a couple of posts that there should be a warning at somewhere between 35 and 40 miles DTE. I was expecting what I thought was probably a FMC standard of a warning at an indicated 50 miles DTE, which for my average Focus driving would indicate about two gallons remaining. I probably won't be seeing the warning anytime soon since I'm not comfortable stretching a tank much below two gallons.

Edited by mrgdr57

Someone on the Explorer forum here at BO ask me this question when I ran out of gas in front of a gas station in my '11 Explorer. The question was, how far past 0 MTE was I when I ran out of gas. I think it was 19 miles past 0 MTE and I determined I had .8 gallons at 0 MTE. This is exactly what my '09 FEH has at 0 MTE. My '05 FEH had 1.3 gallons left at 0 MTE so Ford may have decreased the amount of fuel at 0 MTE. The only way to know how much gas is in the tank is calculate your average MPG after 0 MTE until you run out of gas. I reset trip 2 when I hit the 50 MTE warning for a number of reasons as a hypermiler and reset trip 2 again at 0 MTE to determine how far I go past 0 MTE. E10 is mandated in Florida and starts going bad after 30 days. This is one reason why I prefer to fill with the freshest gas from a busy gas station and take the tank as low as possible just before filling. For the Explorer, about 10 miles past 0 MTE is my limit before a fill-up now. I also only get a gallon of gas (E10) at a time for my lawn equipment so it does not go bad before I use it. Same thing for my boat gas tank which is 63 gallons. I can't burn that much E10 in 30 days, so I never add more than I need before a trip fishing or diving.

My son is the sole driver in my '12 Focus and I can't comment on that car other than he will take it near 0 MTE, but not passed it before a refill. He has now reached hypermiling status with a 33.456 Lifetime MPG average from the first mile on the OD from the factory:

http://www.cleanmpg.com/index.php?page=garage&displayunits=MPG%28US%29&viewcar=3738

You sound like an idiot, IMHO. And my 2012 Focus SE has a low fuel light and chime at roughly 40-50 miles to empty.

Interesting point. I have the factory release version. Detroit Mustang has the 2.11 update. Anyone else?

The MFT update has nothing to do with the instrument cluster....2 different modules.

That said, I have the 2.11 update and it hasn't changed how mine operates----comes on at 2 gallons of fuel left regardless of the "miles to empty display". Depending on your average MPG this will vary what the MTE display will say when the fuel light comes on.

And yes, it's different than every other Ford I have driven. No alerts at MTE intervals, and no alert right at 50 MTE. Must be the european influence. I noticed when mine gets to about 30 MTE, it drops like a rock but at 0 MTE I still have about 1 gallon left. I get about 38 MPG per tank so other people will have different experiences. People on the other Focus board have reported running out of fuel at an indicated 7 MTE.

Edited by svtenthusiast

This thread is quite interesting and confusing. We all have the same instrument readout display on all models of the 2012 Focus. BUT, we all have different out comes and most so far including myself have NO readout or warning indicator to say "low fuel". So what's the problem, how does this Euro thing come into play? It sounds to me as if Ford isn't installing the correct sensor or sensors..If the manual says there's one, then we all should have "low fuel" indicator that works.