Old Ford Symbol Question

I saw a pic of this symbol the other day, and have tried researching it and have found nothing. What was it used for and when?

post-30601-0-83166700-1311530888_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

It is the Ford family coat of arms. It was used on Ford cars in the 1950s and 1960s, there were also other variants of it such as the cog and lightning bolt in the middle or a horizontally stretched version with FORD or LTD in the middle written with block lettering. I think the horizontally stretched version evolved into the hood emblem of the 1980s early 90s LTD Crown Vics. The C Series wore the cog and lightning bolt badge and most cars had the version you have pictured.

Not sure about that completely. There was a Ford coat of arms with three lions or whatever they are arranged the same way on a badge style placard. It was all blue though except for the lions which were gold. This was for the Fords from Sussex, and Im not sure where the Henry Ford family is from exactly, but it could have been an adaptation of the Sussex Fords coat of arms.

I think this may be the coat of arms you're talking about:

Ford01.gif

That's basically, 'three lions rampant, or (gold) on a field azure (blue).'

The problem with the Ford shield in the OP is the use of the color white. White isn't a color used in British heraldry and its rough equivalent (argent) is almost never used with gold. In fact it's one of the chief rules of heraldry that you don't emblazon a metal (gold/silver) on a metal.

Interestingly, early LTD models used a heraldic element that mimicked the form of the English royal coat of arms (three lions passant guardant):

Coat_of_arms_of_England.PNG

5236040023_large.jpg

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 2

I saw a pic of this symbol the other day, and have tried researching it and have found nothing. What was it used for and when?

post-30601-0-83166700-1311530888_thumb.jpg

Thanks!

Okay, this may be a thread to ask this question I've been wanting to for the last few weeks but didn't want to start an allocated thread.

Can anybody direct me to where I can find a double-sided Ford Blue Oval flag for my home flag pole? I've scoured the net but to no avail. I can find one that says "Ford Racing" but I really just want the old Blue Oval on White in a 3X5.

Thanks for any pointers.

Gregg

Can anybody direct me to where I can find a double-sided Ford Blue Oval flag for my home flag pole? I've scoured the net but to no avail. I can find one that says "Ford Racing" but I really just want the old Blue Oval on White in a 3X5.

If you cannot find a ready-made flag, you can get a Ford logo from

http://www.brandsoftheworld.com/logo/ford

in .ai or .eps format, that you can get silkscreened locally, as cut vinyl is too heavy and stiff for a flag. :)

I think this may be the coat of arms you're talking about:

Ford01.gif

That's basically, 'three lions rampant, or (gold) on a field azure (blue).'

The problem with the Ford shield in the OP is the use of the color white. White isn't a color used in British heraldry and its rough equivalent (argent) is almost never used with gold. In fact it's one of the chief rules of heraldry that you don't emblazon a metal (gold/silver) on a metal.

Interestingly, early LTD models used a heraldic element that mimicked the form of the English royal coat of arms (three lions passant guardant):

You clearly have more than a passing interest in the topic...

Okay, this may be a thread to ask this question I've been wanting to for the last few weeks but didn't want to start an allocated thread.

Thanks for any pointers.

Gregg

The following company makes vertical single and double-sided Ford flags for dealerships and also makes custom horizontal flags. Since they have the Ford blue oval perhaps they can custom make a double-sided horizontal flag for your home use.

http://www.htcustomflags.com/?gclid=CKLPn4rrnKoCFcrDKgod7EeRyA

BTW: That's not *really* the Ford family coat of arms--it was invented to suit the purpose... Ford had a Lincoln-Mercury shield designed as well, and you can see that on Twin Tornados' avatar. Before that, they had separate Lincoln and Mercury shields.

Thanks for the hat tip Richard.... :camera:

Edited by twintornados

nerd status confirmed.

However, I have never attended a RenFest, and I cannot imagine a set of circumstances that would induce me to go to one.

In the early 1900s, Arthur Charles Fox-Davies published a fine book on the subject, "The Art of Heraldry", which I happen to own. Amazing stuff, I use it for making wine bottle labels. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Charles_Fox-Davies

• Like 1

I have to say those are quite nice examples of Renfest women. I will also submit that I don't believe that is the "standard" when it comes to Renfest women. These are the exceptions I believe not the typical.

You're right if the images on Google are any guide. I had to go through quite a lot of pics of Ren Fest Girls to find three that didn't require Eye-Bleach.

A dealer here in Chicago area, Zimmerman Ford in St. Charles IL. still has a big sign in front with that logo. Very late 50's neon sign. Also, the crest is still part of their dealer stickers. K

:nerd alert:

I'm a total sucker for '30s-'50s auto dealer neon, so I had to look this one up...

5087147583_d25d09cab6.jpg

4594435784_9f6938c802.jpg

And check out this beauty, reported to be at the rear of Zimmerman's lot...

3718130647_689023c872.jpg:drool:

Edit: And, while not Zimmerman, check out this Lincoln/Mercury sign, featuring a crest:

bL7dU0WZw2xgcrP8IXOGBw.jpg

Edited by PREMiERdrum
  • Like 1

One of my favorite Neon signs was the Westinghouse sign that stood atop the WESCO Building that was demolished to make way for PNC Park on the Allegheny River.

The sign had 9 Westinghouse Circle-W logos that were lit one section at a time. When I was a kid I was told the sign pattern had enough different combinations so it would never repeat. Someone on Wikipedia lists the number as 26,336,386,137,600. If a complete illumination of the sign were completed exactly once every minute it would take over fifty million years to display all possible combinations.

Animation of the sign:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/00/VirtualWestinghouseSign.gif

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Westinghouse_Sign

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

You're right if the images on Google are any guide. I had to go through quite a lot of pics of Ren Fest Girls to find three that didn't require Eye-Bleach.

Interesting, I've only ever heard the term RenFair... is that an east/west thing?

Anyhow, I'd say most renfaire girls are the kind you'd actually want to talk to (or more importantly, listen to). Perky minds last longer than perky boobs.

• 2 years later...