6.2 fuel milage

z06

Good to see some folks have sense about towing. Too often I see truck owners driving way too fast with trailers. Just because the truck can pull it that fast, doesn't mean you can stop it as fast or control it. I've seen everything from small trailers to big 5th wheels busting down the interstate at 75-80.

It's really scary to see some of these people towing. Much of the population can't drive a small car safely, it's a wonder what they do with a trailer in tow.

It's really scary to see some of these people towing. Much of the population can't drive a small car safely, it's a wonder what they do with a trailer in tow.

My wife and I took a long weekend across the state for the 4th. On our way back we passed countless people pulling trailers who had no business pulling anything. Too small of a vehicle, a lot of them were up at around 75-80, trailers with no sway bars that should have had them, etc.

My wife and I took a long weekend across the state for the 4th. On our way back we passed countless people pulling trailers who had no business pulling anything. Too small of a vehicle, a lot of them were up at around 75-80, trailers with no sway bars that should have had them, etc.

Part of that lies with the trailer dealerships as well. When we were looking at our first travel trailer, I had my '99 F150 regular cab with a short bed to tow with. The salesman said "oh, you got a V8? You can tow anything on the lot." Anyone that has towed with a short wheelbase truck knows that's a lie. Well, it will tow it, but not safely. All they care about is the sale. The 27' ultra-lite with WD bars and a sway bar was the max length I would have gone with that truck.

Part of that lies with the trailer dealerships as well. When we were looking at our first travel trailer, I had my '99 F150 regular cab with a short bed to tow with. The salesman said "oh, you got a V8? You can tow anything on the lot." Anyone that has towed with a short wheelbase truck knows that's a lie. Well, it will tow it, but not safely. All they care about is the sale. The 27' ultra-lite with WD bars and a sway bar was the max length I would have gone with that truck.

Saw one guy pulling a camper that was at least 25' with a mid 2000s Honda Pilot. No sway bars doing about 70. I passed him doing almost 100 just to get away from him as fast as possible. That trailer was not staying in his lane and his rear suspension was damn near dragging. Totally overloaded it for sure.

Saw one guy pulling a camper that was at least 25' with a mid 2000s Honda Pilot. No sway bars doing about 70. I passed him doing almost 100 just to get away from him as fast as possible. That trailer was not staying in his lane and his rear suspension was damn near dragging. Totally overloaded it for sure.

But but but...it was under the max tow rating...unloaded.

Oh, you mean I have to take the 300 lbs of water and 750 lbs of other things I add into account? Oh, that listed weight doesn't include the options like A/C and microwave? Ohhhhh.

• 5 weeks later...

My 2015 6.2 3.73 gear after 19.000 miles just started pulling 13 - 13.6 MPG up until 19,000 miles I was lucky to get 12MPG. Not sure if it is the mileage or just that it is warmer outside. Pulling 5th wheel with tractor and all implements gets 9 - 10 MPG

Edited by dclynch

It's interesting that Ford is promoting the new Super Duty with "Best in class fuel economy"

but gives no actual substance or data to those claims, almost like it's an unwritten rule for

HD truck makers not to advertise actual mileage because they're not required to...

Would quoting actual mileages achieved open a can of worms, how would they standardize

the results for vehicles laden and unladen?

Last tank of fuel I managed 14.5 mpg all in town driving and on our last camping trip with the 5ver I averaged 9.2mpg. Going on a long trip(900km/562m)with the 5ver next week and I am going to try premium fuel to see if their is a difference.

Edited by thefatcobra

Part of that lies with the trailer dealerships as well. When we were looking at our first travel trailer, I had my '99 F150 regular cab with a short bed to tow with. The salesman said "oh, you got a V8? You can tow anything on the lot."

Daughter and son-in-law bought a 25' travel trailer with plans to tow with a 5.4L Expedition. Same response from the salesman, except they did NOT have the HD Trailer Tow Package. Before their first big trip they added the HD radiator and auxiliary transmission cooler.

Daughter and son-in-law bought a 25' travel trailer with plans to tow with a 5.4L Expedition. Same response from the salesman, except they did NOT have the HD Trailer Tow Package. Before their first big trip they added the HD radiator and auxiliary transmission cooler.

That should be a more than adequate tow vehicle for that trailer. The 5.4L makes a great towing engine, especially if it has the 6 speed tranny behind it.

• 2 months later...

All this last tank of fuel was in town: 742km/464m, filled truck up with 123.7L/32.7gal and truck was reading 16L/100km or 14mpg. Calculated myself to 16.58L/100km or 14.18mpg. Truck now has 71,000km/44,375m. I had been looking at trading up for a 2016 F350 diesel but we didn't come to an agreeable price for my truck so I will keep the old girl for a few more years.

• 3 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I have 12,000 miles on my 2017 Super Duty. 6.2 gasser, 3:55 gears, 8' bed, super crew, 4wd, ARE cap, heavy duty everything. I get 14.3 average, have had over 16 on highway (empty, no wind, no hills) and 9.1 pulling a 3,500 pound travel trailer. I get 11.1 city only. I did the math once rather than depend on the built in and found the results to be pretty much the same. Better than my old 2005 Expedition, but wish it were better!

Harry

Edited by HarryTitus