Child seats in the back of a Mustang

atvman

How do child seats fit in the back of a current Mustang? I'd only be looking to put one back there.

The thing is, my wife dropped an ultimatum on me, she wants to be pregnant in three years. OK, that throws a wrench in my grand plan to buy a third car. I've been doing some thinking though, I could replace both her Charger and my truck with some kind of CUV/SUV that has decent towing capacity and AWD/4X4 (Explorer/Grand Cherokee/Durango) and then get my performance car and just drive it daily instead of weekends only. Of all sporty cars in my price range that have a back seat, the Mustang GT and Boss 302 are the closest to being true sports cars.

I'm quite tall, so putting a child seat behind me is clearly out of the question. However, my wife is a small woman, so she can move the seat up and still be comfortable. Will this work?

Rear facing car seats take up quite a bit of room. Put it on the passenger side (rear seat obviously) and move the passenger seat up. I'll be in s similar situation (2012 mustaong gt on order), except I have 2 kids. One is in a forward facing car seat and the other is in a booster seat. Booster seat won't be a problem. The car seat might be a tight fit, so my son may have to ride in the trunk. ;):stop: The mustangs do have quite a bit of trunk space.

How do child seats fit in the back of a current Mustang? I'd only be looking to put one back there.

The thing is, my wife dropped an ultimatum on me, she wants to be pregnant in three years. OK, that throws a wrench in my grand plan to buy a third car. I've been doing some thinking though, I could replace both her Charger and my truck with some kind of CUV/SUV that has decent towing capacity and AWD/4X4 (Explorer/Grand Cherokee/Durango) and then get my performance car and just drive it daily instead of weekends only. Of all sporty cars in my price range that have a back seat, the Mustang GT and Boss 302 are the closest to being true sports cars.

I'm quite tall, so putting a child seat behind me is clearly out of the question. However, my wife is a small woman, so she can move the seat up and still be comfortable. Will this work?

Doubtful it will work. My crew cab F150 would barely fit a rear-facing seat in the back seat. You are supposed to have a certain amount of clearance between the safety seat and the front seat. A rear-facing seat takes up so much space, it doesn't leave much. Your wife would be sitting dangerously close to the airbag if you went that route, IMO.

Have the kid now, then in 3 years he/she will be in a forward facing seat, and it will fit. Just don't get upset when your wife makes you put he/she in the back seat since it will be a bitc% to get him/her back there! :hysterical:

How bad is it when there's nobody in the front seat? I can't think of a reason to drive the Mustang when the SUV is available.

Probably OK if you move the seat ALL the way forward. Still, getting the little one in a rear facing seat in the back of a Mustang will be the job of a contortionist.

I agree - it's real tight for a rear-facing seat. Popping the seat on the base isn't hard, it's getting the seat out when you're at the destination. I test drove one for a day and the passenger seat did need to be all the way forward (or 1 click back if the seat-back is bolt upright!).

The solution for the whole getting the seat in/out - buy the convertible. :)

In the case of my '97 (and prior to standardized LATCH bases for seats) there was a way that I could get a rear-facing seat mounted in the center of the rear. But, I would assume that's only really possible with SN95's since the S197's have such sculpted rear seats compared to the relatively flat 94-04 rear.

How bad are the forward facing seats? I'd be willing to put up with the inconvenience of a rearward seat for two years if the forward seat isn't that bad.

If you don't have to take the seat itself in and out often, I imagine it wouldn't be bad at all. Now, if you do have to, then it might be a bit of a chore. Not sure how far the seats fold forward in the new ones, but it was a very tight squeeze in my '97.

How bad are the forward facing seats? I'd be willing to put up with the inconvenience of a rearward seat for two years if the forward seat isn't that bad.

Getting the kid in and out without bashing their head will be very difficult, and hard on your back.

Not saying it can't be done, just not worth it in my opionion. Just buy a SHO instead. :)

I had a rear facing in my 06 that was quite large as it was one of the ones with a detachable base so you could pull the seat right out. My wife 5'3" could fit ok in the front though I had to have her make sure to sit back to see out my side passenger mirror. My 6'+ friends did not ride in the car much :-D. That said the car seat that detached from the base made it easy putting the boy in the car as all I had to do is reach in far enough to slide the seat in place. The most difficulty I realy had was the long coupe door being open far enough with out hitting anything else.

Getting my new car some time soon hopefuly and the boy is forward sitting now! Going to spend a bit of coin to get a nice looking Recaro! Combination Harness To Booster Car Seat

Good Luck!