2012 Focus fuel filler lock available?

iso3200

I noticed that anyone can walk up to a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback and pop the fuel filler door open and mess around. Is there a locking gas cap available? Or even a locking door? I can't believe they didn't add an interior fuel filler door release switch for the driver.

The sedan is the same way, as are many many other cars, because its not really that big of a problem in most areas.

There is a locking cap that goes in the capless fuel tube for the mustang. I would guess, but can't be sure, that it is compateble

the filler neck has an anti-syphon feature built in, so i don't worry about that. yes some could put something in your tank that doesnt belong, personally i havent heard of anyone having that issue. although im sure someones had it happen.

the filler neck has an anti-syphon feature built in, so i don't worry about that. yes some could put something in your tank that doesnt belong, personally i havent heard of anyone having that issue. although im sure someones had it happen.

Not without a funnel. If someone is trying to put something in your tank and they think ahead to bring a funnel you're screwed one way or the other - they'll probably just key it or slash the tires.

• Like 1

I've always been under the impression that if someone is malicious enough to mess with your fuel tank, they will also be malicious enough to pry open a lockable fuel door.

At least to an onlooker, taking a pry bar to vehicle is an obvious sign of foul play. If they just have to pop the door open, there's no signal to differentiate them from the owner.

At least to an onlooker, taking a pry bar to vehicle is an obvious sign of foul play. If they just have to pop the door open, there's no signal to differentiate them from the owner.

Unless you're talking about the old-school fuel doors that have a lock that requires a key to open, many of the current "locking" fuel doors can be opened with a butter knife.

I haven't heard of any news or police reports of gas being sipihoned out of cars. More likely, these days, a theif uses a stolen credit card to get gas. Pay at the pumps usully dont ask for verifications.

In some places and times, if they don't require people to pay before pumping then it's Pump/Gas and Dash.

Even with that, thieves are going to the extent of stealing licence plates off other vehicles, and committing the offence. At my one parking lot, I flagged a police officer for my friend whose front end of the car looked like it was vandalized. We later found out that two people in that lot had their plates stolen, and my friend's vandalized car was the result of the thief trying to get that plate off the bumper.

In that grand scheme of things, gas siphoning probably isn't a big issue unless it is happening to you every day. By then, maybe it's time to convert to electric :)

Not without a funnel. If someone is trying to put something in your tank and they think ahead to bring a funnel you're screwed one way or the other - they'll probably just key it or slash the tires.

Don't know if you are aware or not but Ford gives you a funnel with the car just in case you have to add fuel from a can. It's next to the spare tire.

Don't know if you are aware or not but Ford gives you a funnel with the car just in case you have to add fuel from a can. It's next to the spare tire.

Of course. That's what I meant when I said they would need a funnel to open the filler neck to get the sugar or whatever into the tank.

And with the vehicle locked they would not be able to use the one in the trunk.

Guest liquidleaf

Living in a cold climate, I've had ice prevent an internal-released fuel door from opening... so the lack of that annoyance is a plus for me.

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed that anyone can walk up to a 2012 Ford Focus hatchback and pop the fuel filler door open and mess around. Is there a locking gas cap available? Or even a locking door? I can't believe they didn't add an interior fuel filler door release switch for the driver.

The Mustang accessories catalog offers a locking cap that should work. I went to fordparts.com and it looks like the Focus and Mustang have the same fuel assembly.

Edited by razzerx