Ford do you care?

My sales rep still hasn't called (shocking that I'll have to call him). Is that because Ford doesn't provide him with information? or because Ford contracts our delivery from the train to the dealers? WHO CARES!!! It amounts to TERRIBLE SERVICE PERIOD. If you build them and drop them in your factory lot, call them sold on your books because you lobbied to do it, then you've taken NO responsibility for the actual sale to the customer - ME - US. I don't really care if that is the way other car manufacterers do it, I've never had this problem before. I've ordered cars before that have arrived on time. What happen to being better than everyone else? I'm not asking for access to tracking - just a little service, taking responsibility for the END CUSTOMER. The person who is going to drive the car. The person who actually forks over the money. Just because you book it as sold when it rolls off the line (ordered or not) - THE JOB IS NOT DONE!

Ford does not book sales until the customer takes ownership. The info is available to your dealer - ask your dealer why he's not giving you the info.

My sales rep still hasn't called (shocking that I'll have to call him). Is that because Ford doesn't provide him with information? or because Ford contracts our delivery from the train to the dealers? WHO CARES!!! It amounts to TERRIBLE SERVICE PERIOD. If you build them and drop them in your factory lot, call them sold on your books because you lobbied to do it, then you've taken NO responsibility for the actual sale to the customer - ME - US. I don't really care if that is the way other car manufacterers do it, I've never had this problem before. I've ordered cars before that have arrived on time. What happen to being better than everyone else? I'm not asking for access to tracking - just a little service, taking responsibility for the END CUSTOMER. The person who is going to drive the car. The person who actually forks over the money. Just because you book it as sold when it rolls off the line (ordered or not) - THE JOB IS NOT DONE!

I think that is the root cause of most of these issues. As far as the dealer is concerned, he has your order in hand. He is not going to make another dime on that sale until you need to have the car serviced and there is no guarantee that you will even bring it back to them. Right or wrong the perception is that the dealer has little incentive to do anything once they have your order, other than convince you to rate them as excellent on their buying experience survey. In these days of the mega dealerships it seems the customer is just another number and once the dealer has his money it is time to move on to the next sale.

Carriers control the delivery after the vehicles leave the plant. I find no fault with Ford on this issue. The dealership should have been truthful or researched the scheduling/allocation better before making guesses on delivery timing.

Before you burn the dealership on the survey, I suggest you have a conversation with a sales manager or dealer principal. Perhaps they can work with you to make things right. If they need a process change, this may help them make it happen. I would not want to be the one that killed their CSI score withoout giving them the chance to fix the issue.

Carriers control the delivery after the vehicles leave the plant. I find no fault with Ford on this issue. The dealership should have been truthful or researched the scheduling/allocation better before making guesses on delivery timing.

Before you burn the dealership on the survey, I suggest you have a conversation with a sales manager or dealer principal. Perhaps they can work with you to make things right. If they need a process change, this may help them make it happen. I would not want to be the one that killed their CSI score withoout giving them the chance to fix the issue.

I will be calling the dealership this afternoon and speaking to the Sales Manager. Having a small business myself, don't you think I would be on the phone with my customer working to make things right with them if the carrier I hired to deliver their goods this far behind? If I promised 6/27 - I would have been on the phone or email every day calling my customer. Giving them any bit of information I have. I'm supposed to worried about their CSI score? Seriously, there is plenty of blame to go around - no one wants to step up. Ford's fault for not managing their logistics better. NO they don't own the carrier but THEY DO HIRE THEM! and the dealers fault for terrible service.

I will be calling the dealership this afternoon and speaking to the Sales Manager. Having a small business myself, don't you think I would be on the phone with my customer working to make things right with them if the carrier I hired to deliver their goods this far behind? If I promised 6/27 - I would have been on the phone or email every day calling my customer. Giving them any bit of information I have. I'm supposed to worried about their CSI score? Seriously, there is plenty of blame to go around - no one wants to step up. Ford's fault for not managing their logistics better. NO they don't own the carrier but THEY DO HIRE THEM! and the dealers fault for terrible service.

I'm getting service now. Sales manager just emailed me the status sheet. My car arrived by rail in the Melvindal, Mi lot on June 20th and is still sitting there... near as we can tell.

My sales person's excuse for not calling me "it's hard to call someone to tell them their car isn't in yet"... dude, its part of your job.

A lot of the issues discussed here are out of the control of the Dealers. Ford is doing what it can to address the commodity issues and revised its ordering system to give customer retail orders the highest priority. Ford generates numerous reports on a weekly basis to keep Dealers informed of commodity issues in order to assist them in getting retail orders scheduled. Shipping delays are another matter and involve contracted carriers that are dealing with equipment shortages and mechanical failures along the way including both rail and land carriers.

Order-to-Delivery times for the Mustang are the worst for several years now. Ford's quality standards have a very high priority and no vehicles will be delivered to Dealers if they don't meet the quality specifications. At times, Ford will recall vehicles already in transit and send them back to the plant to be re-inspected if they are even suspect as to quality concerns. The end result is delivering a better quality product to both the Dealer and to the retail customer.

Dealing with the communication issues between a Dealership and the retail customer waiting for an ordered vehicle is a whole different issue. Ford provides multiple resources to Dealerships but its up to the Dealers to use those tools to communicate order status information with its customers. For the Ford enthusiast with a vehicle on order, contact your sales representative whenever you want and then the sales manager or Dealer Principal if necessary to get the information you want or need. Your Dealer has the information but it's beyond Ford's control as to how its Dealers communicate with the end customer.

Ideally, Ford would institute a policy of expediting scheduling of all retail orders, regardless of a Dealer's allocation, but I'm told that Ford will not do this as it would be too disruptive to the scheduling process. At best, Ford would provide a more public tracking system that would allow customers to track their vehicle order progess, status, etc.

Reading this I have hard time finding fault with Ford, perhaps they could create a web app that allows you to follow the car through the manufacturing process; Saturn had that look where they are now. You do understand the the 5.0L engine is hand built right ?- you're not getting that from any other manufacturer for less than $120k. In fact I believe there are only three the ZR-1, Aston Martin and Ferrari that build cars in any number. I understand the anxiousness but, custom ordering a car like a Mustang is very different than custom ordering a Camry. It's a mistake to think of a Mustang as the same as a Toyota except made by Ford, these companies have very different philosophies (now that Alan Mulally is in charge).

It does appear you are pleased with the car when it was delivered and well I think that is what counts, you get Mustang your blood it's hard to get it out.

Edited by meyeste

• 2 weeks later...

Let's ask this though:

Everyone is demanding that Ford create this tracking system for the customer. Do any other automakers offer such a service?

Yes - Chevrolet does: http://www.chevrolet.com/ordertracking/. So does BMW and several other manufacturers. Chrysler doesn't, but no surprise there. What is suprising is that Ford doesn't have one already. For a company that claims to be a technology leader, it's pretty backwards to not have such a system. Very 1980's of them...

Ford already has all this information available - dealers and the good folks at customer service can access it whenever they want. It wouldn't be prohibitively expensive to develop a web-based interface into their ordering system for the customer. It sure would alleviate a lot of the frustration you see here and on other Ford forums.

I've had an F150 on order for over two months now, and a VIN for one month. Speaking for myself, it's not the wait that bothers me as much as not knowing WHY I'm waiting, My dealer can't be bothered to get me updates so I'm will to do it myself - just give me the means to do it.

• Like 1

funny your having probs getting a ford mustang gt. I can go to just about any dealership and buy one off the lot. Maybe people should stop ordering cars and buy the ones that are built sitting in the lots already. Don't you think it's a larger expense on the company to build your car when they have 1 million of them out there just like it sitting on lots! Be serious. People stop ordering your cars and just buy one off the lot. That black stripe or plastic cup holder you want isn't that important.

You do realize that most Mustang owners are passionate about their cars, don't you? Why would you think someone like that would be happy with accepting a car that some dealer's employee decided was cool? Oh, I guess your sig tells me all I need to know....

funny your having probs getting a ford mustang gt. I can go to just about any dealership and buy one off the lot. Maybe people should stop ordering cars and buy the ones that are built sitting in the lots already. Don't you think it's a larger expense on the company to build your car when they have 1 million of them out there just like it sitting on lots! Be serious. People stop ordering your cars and just buy one off the lot. That black stripe or plastic cup holder you want isn't that important.

Every car is ordered, even the ones currently on the lot. If you buy one off the lot they order another one to replace it. It really doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Why on Earth would you pay for something that doesn't fit your needs or isn't what you really want? Maybe you've got lots of extra cash laying around? Or don't really care what you drive? I gather from you statement that options are pretty limited on Chevy's vehicles (cup holders, stripes), but with Ford there are many options to choose from and the chances that the dealer will have the exact vehicle in the exact trim level and color, with the exact option packages that a buyer is looking for is sometimes very slim. And I'm not talking cup holders. I am talking options that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, like engines, differentials, suspension packages, and electronics. Why settle for what don't you want (or what the dealer thought would sell) when you can get exactly what you do want? I was actually encouraged by my dealership to order since they wanted to be sure I bought just what I wanted and nothing more.

I think the point of many of the posts in this thread is that Ford needs to do a better job of keeping their customers informed. At least for me this is true: my wait is now over 10 weeks and counting and I have no idea why it's taking so long (although I have been assured repeatedly that there were no commodity issues).

Follow-up: After much frustration, I went to Ford's web site and emailed every department I could: Public Affairs, Sales and Advertising, etc. I expressed my frustration (politely) at not knowing why my vehicle was delayed and suggested they do a better job of keeping their customers informed. Within two days I got a call from Ford's Customer Service Division with a detailed status update on my truck. Then they called me every three days after that with a status update until the truck was at the dealer (which turned out to be about two weeks from my original email to them). And boy did they have details: they gave me the lot it was sitting in at DTP, the rail car number it was loaded on, the rail yard it was sitting in over a weekend, when it got to the rail head here in New England, what truck it was on and what time it was expected at the dealer's.

So they do seem to care, it just took a bunch of complaining emails to get them to respond. And they proved that they have the information at hand and in their computers, more information than I really needed! They could avoid all the hassle if open some of that up to the public.

Edited by theocoog
  • Like 1

How is it better for Ford to produce a car they hope will find buyer instead of a car which they know will have a buyer?

• 3 weeks later...

Why on Earth would you pay for something that doesn't fit your needs or isn't what you really want? Maybe you've got lots of extra cash laying around? Or don't really care what you drive? I gather from you statement that options are pretty limited on Chevy's vehicles (cup holders, stripes), but with Ford there are many options to choose from and the chances that the dealer will have the exact vehicle in the exact trim level and color, with the exact option packages that a buyer is looking for is sometimes very slim. And I'm not talking cup holders. I am talking options that cost hundreds or thousands of dollars, like engines, differentials, suspension packages, and electronics. Why settle for what don't you want (or what the dealer thought would sell) when you can get exactly what you do want? I was actually encouraged by my dealership to order since they wanted to be sure I bought just what I wanted and nothing more.

I think the point of many of the posts in this thread is that Ford needs to do a better job of keeping their customers informed. At least for me this is true: my wait is now over 10 weeks and counting and I have no idea why it's taking so long (although I have been assured repeatedly that there were no commodity issues).

would someone please provide a Ford e-mail address for Alan Mulally . I don't want to go on the web or facebook just need some help. Thanks

would someone please provide a Ford e-mail address for Alan Mulally . I don't want to go on the web or facebook just need some help. Thanks

Have you talked to the General Manager or owner of the dealership yet? I'd try to have them contact their Zone Manager. Boss 302 allocation was extremely limited. The dealership likely had one allocation for the year, and the build was heavily weighted to the 3rd and 4th quarters. I know they did not schedule any orders this week due to constraints. Getting the dealership management and the ZM involved before shooting an email to Alan probably makes more sense. Best of luck.

Have you talked to the General Manager or owner of the dealership yet? I'd try to have them contact their Zone Manager. Boss 302 allocation was extremely limited. The dealership likely had one allocation for the year, and the build was heavily weighted to the 3rd and 4th quarters. I know they did not schedule any orders this week due to constraints. Getting the dealership management and the ZM involved before shooting an email to Alan probably makes more sense. Best of luck.

Yes I have and I want to shoot a nice e-mail not a blaster. The unit has been on order since 12/22/2010

The customer service gentlemen does not return e-mails or phone calls. I need help.

Yes I have and I want to shoot a nice e-mail not a blaster. The unit has been on order since 12/22/2010

The customer service gentlemen does not return e-mails or phone calls. I need help.

I fully understand all I want is delivery of my Laguna Seca . I have been happy with my dealer and the service people who cruise the internet. I just want to add a little humor to the problems I have had. this picture is my early model laguna Seca. I think 'Duce " would have liked it.( I hope the picture comes thru.)

I also waited about the same period of time for my 2012 Ford Focus, but I understood that the car was not yet in production, had to be built, and shipped. If you order a car instead of buying it off of a dealer lot, you have to wait....their is nothing that anyone can do to speed things up. This is even more the case as of late with Ford, because they are committed to building quality vehicles! The wait also drove me crazy, but it was well worth it as their is no better car on the road!!! You will be very happy with your Mustang GT dream car!!!

Good response.

Good response.

anyone mention theres only 750 Laguna Secas being made PERIOD.....Im not surprized theres delays, if I personally ordered such a vehicle i would be well prepared for delays, a multitude of parts are made by hand SPECIFICALLY for this vehicle over and above the regular Boss, all by outside vendors as well....talk about ingredients for this "recipe".... Jim, you have no option but to be patience, if you have a vin you are set, and screaming and yealling at anyone that will listen will make ZERO, I REPEAT zero DIFFERENCE....EVEN REGULAR bOSS'S ARE EXTREMELY SLOW IN COMING....

anyone mention theres only 750 Laguna Secas being made PERIOD.....Im not surprized theres delays, if I personally ordered such a vehicle i would be well prepared for delays, a multitude of parts are made by hand SPECIFICALLY for this vehicle over and above the regular Boss, all by outside vendors as well....talk about ingredients for this "recipe".... Jim, you have no option but to be patience, if you have a vin you are set, and screaming and yealling at anyone that will listen will make ZERO, I REPEAT zero DIFFERENCE....EVEN REGULAR bOSS'S ARE EXTREMELY SLOW IN COMING....

Thanks, I am not a person that yells and screams all I want is a good delivery date. I was told it would be here the end of this month and made plans that I will now cancel. I know you are all correct and I am getting tired of waiting. I have resigned my self to not make any more plans untill the end of January. You will not hear any more untill my car is delivered and I know it will be a thumbs up. Thanks for the help and it did not cost me $250.00 an hour.Best

Thanks, I am not a person that yells and screams all I want is a good delivery date. I was told it would be here the end of this month and made plans that I will now cancel. I know you are all correct and I am getting tired of waiting. I have resigned my self to not make any more plans untill the end of January. You will not hear any more untill my car is delivered and I know it will be a thumbs up. Thanks for the help and it did not cost me $250.00 an hour.Best

limited production cars are a quandry Jim, the wheels alone are limited production, the graphics another, the rear crossbrace etc etc etc....if ONE, and I mean ONE supplier has an issue with supply, or quality concerns etas become a complete and utter crap shoot, and NO ONE, including Ford or the dealer can nail down an eta. If it were a regular Mustandg its a lot easier, although even then there can be a commodity issue as small as, lets say...a lug nut. If i was you, and had nailed down a car of which there is only 750 being made I too would be chomping at the bit...but I also ( being in the business for 20 plus ) fully understand issues which can rear their heads.

• 2 weeks later...

Ford does not book sales until the customer takes ownership. The info is available to your dealer - ask your dealer why he's not giving you the info.

If Ford would book sales on any DORA with a name attached (these are the ones typically you'll hear about the terrible communication on most of the time...us hyped up, waiting for our dream car types...) and provide tracking to that person, I think most of the gripes would go away.

At the same time though, these named DORA's should NOT/NEVER/EVER be bumped by regional allocation. I had a dealer priority 10 on one of 2 available allocations placed the morning 06 banks opened up, and sat to eagerly watch over 34,000 vins issued- mostly for dealer stock in florida placed up to months after mine. Regional allocation to retail orders needs thrown out- wether the (excellent) turn-and-earn /year round Mustang dealer in Daytona beach sells more than they sell in summer months in Ohio should NOT mean they can cut in line ahead of a guy that plunked down a deposit months prior- but this is how it works and Ford should be able to see why folks like us get so pissed at them for allowing it. I dont care how strong the NADA lobby is, its not right / needs changed... in my opinion of course :)

huge thanks to Ford for getting folks like 'Deysha at Ford' involved on the forums- every time I read a 'thanks' thread on the mustang forums about her extended communication, it reminds me of the 'friend at the factory' type feeling those of us that got Kzinti's help in 05 had... VERY glad to see that Ford has taken this step finallu- and hope Kzinti and his cohorts (if theyre still out there) at least got a pat on the back for seeing the need and trying to fill it so long ago...these are the type of things that can prevent feelings like the original poster had, and please dont jump ship next time- but too, please keep writing folks at Ford. I think they are working on it :)

and anyone here in the salt belt that might ever want to order a mustang someday, WRITE FORD about this regional allocation bs... I got a nice letter back from a vice president a few years back...they do read them/appreciate feedback :)

• 1 year later...

A year later after the first post on this topic, and same problem exists. No communication, bad information or none at all. 8 weeks after my car was built, I still do not know where it is or a status. No help from Ford. Question remains the same -- Ford do you care?

Edited by newjrsy12

• 1 month later...
A year later after the first post on this topic, and same problem exists. No communication, bad information or none at all. 8 weeks after my car was built, I still do not know where it is or a status. No help from Ford. Question remains the same -- Ford do you care?

It is not any better on the Lincoln side of the house when it comes to communications. But unlike many in this thread I do blame the dealership to some extent. I think if the dealership said ok here is the deal" this is a new car, we can't guarentee when this will be built, shipped or delivered we don't have that information to give you. What we can guarentee is that every week we will check on the status of your car and we will email you. We will keep you informed about any news bullitens or posting that could affect your car, we have two web sites that you can go to as you wish to check on the status of your car..... the list goes on and on.

I get to some extent the dealer is blind or uninformed, but that is not enough reason to not set expectations with me as the paying customer. I have been all over these forums, looking and its the same complaint over and over again. Poor or no communications and expectations. So any Ford executive reading this forum, here is my offer. As a Six Sigma process engineer I will be happy "FOR FREE" to work with you and your dealerships to clearly create a repeatable Pre-Order process for your future customers. Alan are you listening?? It wont cost you a dime...

It is not any better on the Lincoln side of the house when it comes to communications. But unlike many in this thread I do blame the dealership to some extent. I think if the dealership said ok here is the deal" this is a new car, we can't guarentee when this will be built, shipped or delivered we don't have that information to give you. What we can guarentee is that every week we will check on the status of your car and we will email you. We will keep you informed about any news bullitens or posting that could affect your car, we have two web sites that you can go to as you wish to check on the status of your car..... the list goes on and on.

I get to some extent the dealer is blind or uninformed, but that is not enough reason to not set expectations with me as the paying customer. I have been all over these forums, looking and its the same complaint over and over again. Poor or no communications and expectations. So any Ford executive reading this forum, here is my offer. As a Six Sigma process engineer I will be happy "FOR FREE" to work with you and your dealerships to clearly create a repeatable Pre-Order process for your future customers. Alan are you listening?? It wont cost you a dime...

I definately agree that it is the responsibilty of the dealer. I have been waiting 9 weeks now for my FFH Ti. The salesman was a little remise in returning my calls on status. But as it turned out the VP of the dealership call my home at night with honest answers and gave me his direct line and told me what day he would give me an update. They were not the awnsers I wanted to hear, but they were direct and honest. I can't ask more of them. Any business is run in a semi-militeristic manner. Meaning there is a chain of command and responsiblity. It should not be taking litely. This is what creates a good and durable business model. When this does not happen, then it is time to jump to a higher level. Ford itself must make sure that there is accountablity to their patrons, when Dealers are suppling their product. There is where the problem exist's. Many Dealers are not held to account after they make that sale.

• 1 month later...