My EcoBoost Mileage

ilmo

Just thought I would share some of my information.

I went on a hunting trip and tracked my miles. My combined driving consisted of lots of country roads (600 miles of rock and dirt/muddy/slick roads) in Kansas. During the trip I averaged 18.3 MPG on the computer and 18.6 MPG by hand calculation. Total trip was 1809 miles.

Here is my mileage report which includes total miles on truck since new:

2011 XLT EcoBoost SuperCrew 4X4, with 6.5' bed and 3.55LS:

All pictures were taken at the same time. I have found that my hand calculations and the computer are close in my comparisons.

My latest mileage is: All highway miles.

Filled my tank up right after this picture. Hand calculated: 338 miles, 16.296 gallons, 20.74 MPG

PICT0068.jpg

PICT0068.jpg

I have not reset the TRIP B since new.

Hand calculated is 252.7 gallons used, which calculates to 18.5 MPG

PICT0066.jpg

PICT0069.jpg

If those numbers are even close to correct, I'll be loving it. I am pleased with my mileage now, I can't wait to get it broke in. I have only ~700 miles on the odo and I'm getting right around 20 mpg in mostly rural driving.

If those numbers are even close to correct, I'll be loving it. I am pleased with my mileage now, I can't wait to get it broke in. I have only ~700 miles on the odo and I'm getting right around 20 mpg in mostly rural driving.

Is it truth or myth that mpg increases after a new vehicle has accumulated 3,000-5,000 miles?

Edited by MKII

Yes Sir,

They are correct. I have given you the numbers and the pictures. Now, if your number is even remotely correct, then you sir have done better than me in the early miles of my vehicle.

• 1 month later...

Just turned over 6000 miles this week. My mileage looks like it is going to hold around 18 MPG for combined driving. I have not reset the "Trip B" thinking this may be a good way to track total miles. IIRC the average combined by FMC is 17 on the window sticker.

2011 XLT EcoBoost SuperCrew 4X4, with 6.5' bed and 3.55LS:

Photo06241013.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Here is my latest checks with just under 7000 miles:

After filling up and getting on the highway I got this on a 61 mile trip.

Interstate @ 67 MPH average and got 21.1 MPG. I was driving south with ENE wind at 5 to 10MPH and light to moderate traffic.

PICT0103.jpg

Here is my last tank full and getting 18.1 MPG hand calculation. Actual gallons was 25.872 from the pump.

This is of course was combined city/hwy driving.

PICT0097.jpg

And the last is my grand total on "TRIP B" and has not been reset since new.

My hand calculation is with 6925 miles and used 379.978 gallons which came to 18.22 MPG.

PICT0091.jpg

So, bottom line is I don't think I will see any improvement with my overall MPG and with my driving habits. And I am satisfied with those numbers and I am getting basically what Ford said I would get. The truck runs fine, but I do have a couple issues that others have talked about on the forums. I am not concerned at this time about them as there seems to be no absolute fix for the flutter and the shudder. So I will continue to drive and enjoy the truck until Ford comes up with the correct solutions.

2011 F150 XLT Super Crew-6.5' w/Eco Boost/4x4/3.55LS

Those are great results! And it appears the computer is VERY accurate being off by < 4 gallons over 380 is very good!

Thanks.

Yes, I was very surprised with the accuracy of the computer. I triple checked my "gallons at the pump numbers" just to make sure I had done my hand calculation correctly.

I really like this truck and it just keeps growing on me.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now had my EB for a little over 3 months and 6000 miles and it is settling in to a nice 20mpg combined driving. I have even had one 22.7 highway trip of 463 miles. I almost never bother doing a hand calc anymore because the computer has been nearly dead on. If anything it has been just a shade under hand calc. Early on I was a bit concerned because 17-18 was about it but I'm happy now. Seemed like things started improving after 4000 or so miles. This past weekend I took the truck for a 320 mile trip in the Colorado mountains. No interstate, just two lane blacktop and back country dirt. The truck performed flawlessly and when I got back home the computer read 21.7mpg.Oh, by the way I drive like an old grampa, but that's because I am one. I'm just not in a hurry anymore. It can be done. I'm very very happy with my choice to go EB.

2011 F150 King Ranch EB Off Road, Max Tow, 6.5' Bed. :happy feet:

Edited by Prairie Mule

I just picked up my truck this week and have only put about 700km or 435 miles so far. It is a Crew cab 4x4 Lariat with the off road package, Max tow, and a set of after market 20" rims. So far the mileage is really variable and ranges wildly from at best 10.5 L/100km (22.4 US MPG) if I drive at like 55-60 MPH. If I speed up to what I am used to driving on divided highway in Alberta, Canada at approx 120 km/hr 75 MPH my fuel economy drops down to a gross17.8L/100km (13.2 US MPG) or even into the mid 18's! in L/100km. Is this common? I have asked my dealer and they say to relax and wait 2000km 1250 miles for the computer to learn but that is gross compared to my 2009 I traded was getting 13 L/100km (18 US MPG) at 75 MPH on the highway and would get 11 L/100km (21.5 US MPG) right from after the first tank of gas on. I also miss my 130L tank on my 2009 crew cab and notice the smaller tank right away on this new truck. I wonder if this little engine does not have the stones to get decent mileage if you change anything out side of it's manufactured specifications IE- Larger rims and tires. I went from a 32.1 inch tall stock LT275/65R/18 Goodyear Wrangler ATS to a 33.5" LT285/60R/20 Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour. I really hope I don't have to drive super slow to get decent mileage out of this motor, if I do my Eco Boost will become someone else's problem!! and I'll order a Super Duty with a 6.2L gas and get poor mileage for good reason!!

Otherwise I love my new truck!!

post-19552-0-99458400-1312467180_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just did a comparison of computer and hand calculation of my MPG.

Since buying the truck back on 4.4.11, I have not reset the numbers on "TRIP B".

Lifetime numbers:

Computer:

518.1 Gal.

9486 miles

18.3 MPG

Hand Calculation from my gas receipts:

513.731 Gallons

9486 miles

18.46 MPG

4.369 gallons difference

(My hand calcs have always been a little higher than the computer).

I am satisfied with this. It includes only some minor towing and hauling, but mostly combined 50/50 driving. I have been able to get as much as 22.4 MPG @ 63 MPH on a 60 mile trip (that is tops for me). If I don't forget, I plan on taking some pics closer to 10,000 miles.

I do have some minor issues that I will have the dealer address @ the 10,000 mile service interval coming real soon: I do have a shudder that happens at 0-5 MPH in 1st gear from a complete stop; some tire wear even after a rotate at 7000 miles; and my tailgate cable straps are not the same length and I'm afraid it is going to put a strain on the tailgate that has the cable with too much slack.

• 3 weeks later...

I have now reached the 10,000 mile mark and filled the tank up to check the lifetime numbers. After checking the numbers at various mileage intervals, my numbers have been pretty consistent.

I am very satisfied with the numbers and I'll probably just use the computer from now on.

Hand calculation:

9999.9 miles

549.232 gal.

18.207 mpg

Computer:

9995.7 miles

546.1 gal.

18.3 mpg

The computer and hand calculation are pretty close.

Photo10071253.jpg

• 6 months later...

1000.0 gallons used.

Here are some numbers as I have been tracking my MPG since my truck was new on 4/4/11. It is a year old now and still getting about the same MPG as shown in earlier posts.

Not too bad on the accuracy comparison, hand vs. computer.

2011 EcoBoost SCrew 6.5' bed, 3.55 LS

Hand calculation:

18124.5 miles

994.348 gallons used

18.227 mpg

Computer Trip "B" picture:

Photo04081227.jpg