2013 Escape = Kuga

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Kuga-Escape ?

• Yes - I lke the exterior styling
    • No - I prefer the older, more boxy, Escape styling

I have sat in the back of an Escape for up to an hour. I don't think I could sit in a Kuga at all !

Ford published dimensions for the Vertrek Conept, Escape, and Kuga (I believe I linked to the earlier) and at least in concept the Vertrek is bigger than Kuga.

But they'll never sell in Colorado..............

Seriously - this will outsell the current Escape - no question. I love it.

Seriously? The Escape was Fords second best selling vehicle last month.

The Vertrek will not outsell the current Escape, but that should not be a measure of it's success. (I expect it will be lower volume, higher profit)

Still looks like one less Ford I'd consider owning, but I guess I'm not Metro enough for Ford.

Seriously? The Escape was Fords second best selling vehicle last month.

The Vertrek will not outsell the current Escape, but that should not be a measure of it's success. (I expect it will be lower volume, higher profit)

Still looks like one less Ford I'd consider owning, but I guess I'm not Metro enough for Ford.

I think it has plenty of potential to sell just as well. For everyone who is turned off by the new styling there will probably be people who prefer it to the old one.

Has it? The only thing comparable is the Focus. The Focus never sold like the Escape is now, and Ford sold fewer Focus last month than it did a year ago.

Sales are down solely because of inventory. Days supply has decreased dramatically, meaning people are snatching them up as soon as they are available.

I would say the Explorer is a better comparison: A completely reimagined version of the original, with what some would say is less versatility and capability, with higher prices, yet sales are still considerably stronger than the vehicle it replaced.

Edited by NickF1011

I would say the Explorer is a better comparison: A completely reimagined version of the original, with what some would say is less versatility and capability, with higher prices, yet sales are still considerably stronger than the vehicle it replaced.

But the Explorer was not selling well before it was replaced, whereas the Escape was the #2 selling Ford product last month. The new Explorer could not have sold worse than the old one. Has the Explorer really met Ford's targets? It's selling well, but I don't know that I would call it an out of the park home run.

But the Explorer was not selling well before it was replaced, whereas the Escape was the #2 selling Ford product last month. The new Explorer could not have sold worse than the old one. Has the Explorer really met Ford's targets? It's selling well, but I don't know that I would call it an out of the park home run.

:headscratch:

Explorer not meeting targets? You must be joking. And it certainly could have sold worse than the old one. Look how the Flex was received.

See where that muffler is underneath back center of rear bumper in the video? Good bye tow package unless they have some fancy hitch that goes under or around it or this is not a production exhaust.

The muffler is laid out similarly on the Edge. That doesn't preclude it from having an available tow package.

Came across some news on Louisville Assembly

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (WHAS11)- Friday WHAS11 got our first look inside the new Ford Louisville Assembly Plant which is bringing high end manufacturing jobs to town.

“We've got about 80 percent of the plant ready to go now. We're starting pre-production vehicles and will be in production at the end of the year,” said John Savona of Ford.

The plant will initially make gas powered Escapes, but officials say there is room to add new products, like hybrid or electrical, models.

The new body style will be officially unveiled in November at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

WHAS 11 news clip video http://www.whas11.com/home/129556288.html

Also came across another rendering American spec

up39516-Ford_Kuga_II.jpg

European Kuga will Start up 1 year later at Valencia October 2013.

Edited by MKII

That seems like a step backwards to me unless the Hybrid is selling so poorly it is not worth building.

I think it makes perfect sense. It's not that the Kuga won't get a hybrid eventually (As Ford has plans to run hybrids throughout the lineup), but if Ford can only build X hybrids/year (Due to availability of parts, etc) focusing that capacity on something like the CMAX makes a ton of sense.

• 2 weeks later...

Won't be long now, folks!

I can't wait! My wife and I had an 2004 Escape that we traded in on a 2008 Mercury Mariner that was totaled by an idiot that ran a red light back in late May 2011. We thought about getting a brand new Escape (Mariner, if they didn't kill off Mercury), but we loved the Vertrek concept and decided to wait. According to a couple of posters on this forum, there aren't any people like us (previous Escape/Mariner owners that would consider or like the new design), but I think there will be many previous/current Escape owners, and owners of competing brands, that will like the new and updated look. If you look up old posts on other forums, there were many that said they hated the 2008 model refresh, but that obviously didn't hurt sales. The new design might hurt rear cargo space behind the second row seats, but lucky for us, we have something else to take care of that when the need for lots of cargo space arises. From what I can tell, the new design will have plenty of space for groceries, coolers, beer cases, quick trips to the hardware store (with the rear seats folded), etc. Enough space for most people that buy compact SUVs/CUVs, which is what Ford is aiming for. It also looks like the capabilities of a small SUV (light off-roading, snow) will be similar to the current Escape.

Again, I can't wait!

The new design might hurt rear cargo space behind the second row seats, but lucky for us, we have something else to take care of that when the need for lots of cargo space arises. From what I can tell, the new design will have plenty of space for groceries, coolers, beer cases, quick trips to the hardware store (with the rear seats folded), etc. Enough space for most people that buy compact SUVs/CUVs, which is what Ford is aiming for. It also looks like the capabilities of a small SUV (light off-roading, snow) will be similar to the current Escape.

Again, I can't wait!

I hope it doesn't hurt cargo space. It should have at least the same amount if not more. New styling is fine, however styling should never be considered a priority over utility in these sorts of vehicles. I'm also concerned about visibility in the new design. Maybe it will be just fine, however some of the newer design small utilities are hard to see out of compared to the Escape.

As far as plenty of space for groceries, coolers, beer cases, etc. I'd say a Fusion would be fine for that. Now I have been able to haul some pretty decent sized cargo in my Escape and some of it has been pretty tall. For example a 46" LCD TV sitting upright on it's stand, 2 and 3 shelf bookcases, and a few fairly large and tall boxes. The new one might handle this stuff just as good, but at least from pictures the rear opening looks to be smaller and lower. I guess we will soon see...

I hope it doesn't hurt cargo space. It should have at least the same amount if not more. New styling is fine, however styling should never be considered a priority over utility in these sorts of vehicles. I'm also concerned about visibility in the new design. Maybe it will be just fine, however some of the newer design small utilities are hard to see out of compared to the Escape.

As far as plenty of space for groceries, coolers, beer cases, etc. I'd say a Fusion would be fine for that. Now I have been able to haul some pretty decent sized cargo in my Escape and some of it has been pretty tall. For example a 46" LCD TV sitting upright on it's stand, 2 and 3 shelf bookcases, and a few fairly large and tall boxes. The new one might handle this stuff just as good, but at least from pictures the rear opening looks to be smaller and lower. I guess we will soon see...

Unfortunately, many people consider looks first in any kind of vehicle, but you're right, other things need to be factored in before buying something, also. Visibility is definitely a big plus in the current Escape and I hope it stays the same somewhat. I think it will. But people are still buying Chrysler 300C and Camaros, and we all know how bad the outward visibility is in those things.

The Fusion has a pretty large trunk for a midsize car! I was impressed when I checked them out a while back. But, I like the slightly higher loading/unloading in the Escapes, so I wouldn't have to bend over as much trying to grab things in the back of the trunk. My back is terrible...

I'm also worried about carrying the occasional tall items in the new Escapes, although the rear glass on the concepts doesn't look as steeply raked as an Edge, for instance. We'll soon see, like you said, but I can't wait.

Edited by Stryford

• 3 weeks later...