2013 Escape = Kuga

60 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy a Kuga-Escape ?

• Yes - I lke the exterior styling
    • No - I prefer the older, more boxy, Escape styling

The Vertek (nee: Kuga) should be a Lincoln version with the more "boxy" style going to Escape for the masses of Ford faithful that really like the look of the vehicle. My girlfriend is on her 3rd Escape and after I showed her the Vertek concept she was not impressed with the look of it at all.

Well, I hope she enjoys her new Patriot when she trades in her Escape, cuz that's the only "boxy" CUV left.

Well, I hope she enjoys her new Patriot when she trades in her Escape, cuz that's the only "boxy" CUV left.

Fortunately people do not lock themselves into categories when buying vehicles - I'd hoped to replace my Escape with another, but will have to go outside of the Ford family now. With the Wrangler getting the pentastar V6 it looks like it's in the running, even though I'm loath to buy a Fiat product.

Fortunately people do not lock themselves into categories when buying vehicles - I'd hoped to replace my Escape with another, but will have to go outside of the Ford family now. With the Wrangler getting the pentastar V6 it looks like it's in the running, even though I'm loath to buy a Fiat product.

So, without having even seen or driven the new Escape you are already writing it off? Enjoy that Wrangler. Hopefully it is more reliable than the '10 Rubicon a friend of mine bought which has been back to the shop at least a half dozen times for warranty repairs.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 2

So, without having even seen or driven the new Escape you are already writing it off?

Yes, absolutely. If it looks only 50% like the Vertrek it's at least 50% a vehicle I would never own. If I wanted a RAV4 I'd have bought one. Love my Escape, it's what made me a Ford fan, but this thing is no Escape.

Yes, absolutely. If it looks only 50% like the Vertrek it's at least 50% a vehicle I would never own. If I wanted a RAV4 I'd have bought one. Love my Escape, it's what made me a Ford fan, but this thing is no Escape.

If the new design helps woo a few of those current RAV4 owners in to take your place, then I don't think Ford will mind.

• Like 1

If the new design helps woo a few of those current RAV4 owners in to take your place, then I don't think Ford will mind.

If it means throngs of current Escape buyers find other vehicles I think Ford might. The Escape is at the top of the sales charts. The Vertrek could end up being the 96 Taurus all over again.

I know several people who are repeat Escape buyers, and I don't expect any of them will end up in a Verscape.

Edited by sullynd
  • Like 1

If it means throngs of current Escape buyers find other vehicles I think Ford might.

That's highly unlikely. Where are they going to go? They aren't all going to buy Wranglers, that's for sure.

Frankly, I'd be willing to bet the vast majority of previous Escape owners didn't buy another Escape anyway. Most Escape owners I know are either childless or couples with very small children. Once the kids get bigger or they have more kids, the Escape is simply too small for them to buy another one. The new Escape likely will appeal far better to people entering the segment than it will to returning Escape owners. I am willing to concede that. I find that to be acceptable though, since returning Escape owners are likely a far smaller group of potential buyers than those who did not previously own one.

Edited by NickF1011

That's highly unlikely. Where are they going to go? They aren't all going to buy Wranglers, that's for sure.

They could end up anywhere - It's not as if a consumer who would consider an Escape "needs" a CUV, or locks themselves into categories. I buy vehicles because on want them, not because they fit in a certain category. When I bought my Escape the Xterra was the runner up. When I replace it there will be any number of vehicles I'll look at, and the vast majority of them will not be "CUVs".

Where are they going to go? If the Escape looks like a RAV, may as well consider a RAV, CRV, Sorento, etc. Or an Edge. If I wanted a vehicle which looks like everything else on the road why not consider a different one which looks like everything else on the road.

They could end up anywhere - It's not as if a consumer who would consider an Escape "needs" a CUV, or locks themselves into categories. I buy vehicles because on want them, not because they fit in a certain category. When I bought my Escape the Xterra was the runner up. When I replace it there will be any number of vehicles I'll look at, and the vast majority of them will not be "CUVs".

Where are they going to go? If the Escape looks like a RAV, may as well consider a RAV, CRV, Sorento, etc. Or an Edge. If I wanted a vehicle which looks like everything else on the road why not consider a different one which looks like everything else on the road.

Most Escape owners currently probably already considered the RAV4, CRV, Sorento, Edge, etc. I think you are putting far too much weight in the "I like it cuz it looks like a truck" category of Escape owners -- especially considering that there are 80,000 or so small CUV shoppers every month that you could argue didn't buy the Escape "cuz it looks like a truck".

Edited by NickF1011

It has the highest rebates of all Ford current models except trucks. The Vertrek will be more desirable to the folks that want them and will have more options so it will have higher ATPs and less incentives which equals a lot more profit, especially when you add in the fact that the platform costs can be amortized by European Kuga sales. So I don't think Ford cares if it loses a few buyers because it will gain new ones and make more money on fewer sales in the meantime.

If it means throngs of current Escape buyers find other vehicles I think Ford might. The Escape is at the top of the sales charts. The Vertrek could end up being the 96 Taurus all over again.

I know several people who are repeat Escape buyers, and I don't expect any of them will end up in a Verscape.

Correct! The so-called Escape replacement or VerTrek with a small engine, what can onr tow? Your kid's Red Flyer wagon??

• Like 1

Correct! The so-called Escape replacement or VerTrek with a small engine, what can onr tow? Your kid's Red Flyer wagon??

I don't see towing as a big issue with most Escape owners. KI see tons up here in NH and rarely is one pulling anything. Maybe a small trailer with a ATV/ Snowmobile or landscaping equipment. Anything larger and they are driving much larger vehicles. Wouldn't sway my a bit. But the smaller cargo area is a major factor for me and it would be a deal breaker. At that point, maybe the EX might be of interest although the third row seat just bugs me. Takes up room I'd rather use as secure storage.

I don't see towing as a big issue with most Escape owners. KI see tons up here in NH and rarely is one pulling anything. Maybe a small trailer with a ATV/ Snowmobile or landscaping equipment. Anything larger and they are driving much larger vehicles. Wouldn't sway my a bit. But the smaller cargo area is a major factor for me and it would be a deal breaker. At that point, maybe the EX might be of interest although the third row seat just bugs me. Takes up room I'd rather use as secure storage.

Might be a smaller cargo area because is has a smaller GVW. The current Escape's load capacity is >#1000.

The current Kuga already has tow ratings on par with the Escape. The towing concern is a non-issue.

Tow ratings do not necessarily translate across the pond. Kuga's tow rating is meaningless with respect to the Verscapes tow rating. It's possible it will match the Escape's tow rating, but unlikely.

Edited by sullynd

2010-gmc-terrain-live-580-lead.jpg

apologies to anyone who threw up a little bit at viewing the image

To me, the Terrain is boxy in a far different way than the Patriot or Escape. Yes, it uses angled shapes, but it's less a traditional 2-box design than the other two in my eyes, especially when viewed from the side.

2010-GMC-Terrain-SLE2-FWD-Side-View.jpg

The only thing particularly "boxy" about the Terrain is the grille and fenders.

And like I said before, there's no defense for the statement that maybe most of the small CUV market isn't buying the Escape because it looks too trucky. The piece of the market that is larger is the more car-like end of it. Wouldn't it be wiser to chase after the larger slice of the pie?

Edited by NickF1011

To me, the Terrain is boxy in a far different way than the Patriot or Escape. Yes, it uses angled shapes, but it's less a traditional 2-box design than the other two in my eyes, especially when viewed from the side.

2010-GMC-Terrain-SLE2-FWD-Side-View.jpg

Doesn't seem to different to me:

2010-ford-escape-side_6401_001_580x435_ws.png

And like I said before, there's no defense for the statement that maybe most of the small CUV market isn't buying the Escape because it looks too trucky. The piece of the market that is larger is the more car-like end of it. Wouldn't it be wiser to chase after the larger slice of the pie?

If the Escape were in the same boat as the Explorer was I would agree with you. Escape is at the top of the sales chart. Ford doesn't really have room to gain sales, only lose them. If they're lucky they'll stay close on volume and make more on higher ATPs.

Doesn't seem to different to me:

2010-ford-escape-side_6401_001_580x435_ws.png

:headscratch:

The Escape is far more upright. The windshield and rear glass have much less rake. It is far more slab-sided.

If the Escape were in the same boat as the Explorer was I would agree with you. Escape is at the top of the sales chart. Ford doesn't really have room to gain sales, only lose them. If they're lucky they'll stay close on volume and make more on higher ATPs.

There's always room to gain sales. But I think you hit the nail on the head with the ATP issue. If Ford makes more money on it (considering costs will be spread over mutiple continents now that's almost a certainty) then that's really all that matters to them. I very much doubt it is going to lose market share either. I guess we'll have to wait and see.