secret ecoboost recall

The EcoBoost 3.5 liter V-6 has been used in the 2010 Taurus SHO, 2010 Flex, 2010 Lincoln MKS, and 2010 Lincoln MKT. None of those are high-production models and none of them are pick-up trucks. I tend to agree with the other posters that the EcoBoost is an un-proven engine in the F-150.

Furthermore, the 2011 model year leaves cautious truck buyers in a real quandary when it comes to the F-150. None of the available engines has been used in an F-150 before. Every one of them has an unknown long-term reliability record. Ford has really gone out on a limb and only time will tell if that limb was stout enough.

I could have swore the engine came out in the Taurus before it came out in the other vehicles. But either way, none of those vehicles in themselves are high volume, although the Flex is decent. Taken together there are a decent number of eco's on the road and they have been on the road since 2009. This goes to prove the soundness of the design. As I stated in my initial post the tune for the F-150's might be more than the engine can handle, but I doubt it. The problem would be with the application not the engine.

If people are going to shy away from "unproven" technology then they might need to buy a truck other than Ford. Mullaly has stated he wants new vehicles every three or four years. About the time a platform has proven itself it is scrapped and a new one comes out. If you think about the lead time for design and testing, when new vehicle comes out it is already obsolete.

Edited by 1depd

But either way, none of those vehicles in themselves are high volume, although the Flex is decent.

I don't think the EB was the standard engine in the Flex, so I don't think you can count all 2010 Flex sales as being EB sales.

Mullaly has stated he wants new vehicles every three or four years. About the time a platform has proven itself it is scrapped and a new one comes out.

Vehicle designs come and go. Platforms and engines are long-term propositions.

Take the new Explorer, for example. To the general car-buying public, it's a totally new vehicle. But it's built on the D4 platform which has been in production as the 2009-2011 Flex and 2010-2011 MKT. And the D4 is based on the D3 which goes all the way back to the 2005 Five Hundred. The V-6 in the new Explorer is the same Duratec 35 that's been around since the 2007 Edge. To me, even though the 2011 Explorer is "new", it's built on a proven platform with a proven engine.

The 2011 F-150 has half the battle won, in my mind, because the platform is pretty well proven. The engines, though, concern me. I really like the concept of the EB, but I'm just not 100% convinced that it's a safe bet.

I don't think the EB was the standard engine in the Flex, so I don't think you can count all 2010 Flex sales as being EB sales.

Vehicle designs come and go. Platforms and engines are long-term propositions.

Take the new Explorer, for example. To the general car-buying public, it's a totally new vehicle. But it's built on the D4 platform which has been in production as the 2009-2011 Flex and 2010-2011 MKT. And the D4 is based on the D3 which goes all the way back to the 2005 Five Hundred. The V-6 in the new Explorer is the same Duratec 35 that's been around since the 2007 Edge. To me, even though the 2011 Explorer is "new", it's built on a proven platform with a proven engine.

The 2011 F-150 has half the battle won, in my mind, because the platform is pretty well proven. The engines, though, concern me. I really like the concept of the EB, but I'm just not 100% convinced that it's a safe bet.

WOW thought I was the only one that thinks like u, in theroy I like the eco concept but I will be waiting for at least a year, also not sold yet on the EPAS in a truck that will be used in off road applications, guess only time will telll??

The EPAS would have me scared if I was going to off road.

My understanding is that it doesn't break if it overheats, it just shuts down the electric assist til it cools down -

but that wouldn't be fun at all off road.

I would love to know how much abuse it takes to overheat the EPAS

You completely missed my point. I know the ecoboost was not in every Flex sold, but it was an option on most of the trim levels. If you actually read the entirety of my comments, rather than only reading a sentence, you might get an understanding of what I was saying. In case you wish to not go back and try to actually engage in communication, I'll try to make it a bit easier. When you consider how many vehicles the ecoboost was an option in and how many were actually sold, the design has more than proved itself. The tune used for the F-150 might cause problems, but since it has been in mules for several years, I seriously doubt any problems will arise. You have your doubts and you are entitled to them, but my doubts have been minimized.

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone tell me if the coupon works with "D" plan?

Number "10"

If you are inquiring about the $750 private coupon, then it can not be used with the A/Z/D plans. That is stated in the fine print that I have to use a magnifying glass to read.