secret ecoboost recall

What is the deal? Quite a few ecoboost trucks were taken back into factory after being sent to loading dock and now have been released? Also rumors of carriers bringing them back to the factory. Ford will not say what the recall or production change was. Mine was built on Feb 19 and was sitting on the dock. Now it says sitting at plant waiting shipment dated Feb 22.. Last week Ford told me delivery date of March 3 to the 5th. Obvious lie if it's still at plant. This cost me $750 as my coupon expired on the 6th.

Lots of frustrated future ecoboost owners out there including me

This is not the mexican pcm recall as that was early production trucks and it's not the fuel lines. any one know?

I don't know, but that sure is not good news. I ordered on 3/2/11. I'm beginning to think that my decision is a big mistake and should go get a Tundra. I hate to do that.

Will you be able to get another coupon? I have not gotten one and not sure how or even if I could get one. And IF I were able to get the coupon, the timing of getting one is totally a guess on your truck delivery and expiration date on coupon.

I hope it works out for you.

Edited by ilmo
  • Like 1

Factory holdups happen all the time, wouldn't be anything I'd base a vehicle purchase on.

Maybe they're holding it so that it doesn't get stuck by the winter storm predicted for this Wednesday, I hear its gonna be absolutely disusting.

The coupons are in the brochures - call Ford at 800-392-FORD, select option 1, then 4, then 1 and they'll be very happy to send you a brochure :)

Factory holdups happen all the time, wouldn't be anything I'd base a vehicle purchase on.

Maybe they're holding it so that it doesn't get stuck by the winter storm predicted for this Wednesday, I hear its gonna be absolutely disusting.

The coupons are in the brochures - call Ford at 800-392-FORD, select option 1, then 4, then 1 and they'll be very happy to send you a brochure :)

I already have the brochure and the coupon expired, that's my point. Yeah, I can keep requesting them but you don't get a coupon every time and once they send you one they probably will not send another.

If they are going back to the factory and then being re-released the weather has nothing to do with it.

I already have the brochure and the coupon expired, that's my point. Yeah, I can keep requesting them but you don't get a coupon every time and once they send you one they probably will not send another.

If they are going back to the factory and then being re-released the weather has nothing to do with it.

OK, Please keep us all posted. this is VERY interesting and pertinent news. Thank you.

I don't know, but that sure is not good news. I ordered on 3/2/11. I'm beginning to think that my decision is a big mistake and should go get a Tundra.

I hope it works out for you.

Please tell me you're kidding... a turdra???? wow, I'm lost for words, have you even sat inside one?

• Like 1

Interesting. I took delivery of mine mid-Feb....I was told the recall that's all over the news doesn't apply to mine since my build date was beyond the dates affected. But this is something new, huh ???

Keep us posted on your findings please !

Also, I know all about the anger with these $750 coupons..... I got my brochure 1 week after taking delivery....and was told I can't use it even though it took over 5 weeks to get the brochure......almost like Ford planned it that way.

If you have a brochure the dealer will honor it if you already have it and you ordered the truck within that time frame, at least that's what my dealer told me. I didn't believe him so I got a new one a week after I filled out the request on the website.

Rule of thumb never buy the first yr. of new product model will bite u every time..... Been there done that got bit :ohsnap:

I agree with your statement but the 2011 F-150 is not and new product model. Yes, Ford changed the motors being offered in the truck but these motors have already been proven elsewhere in their product offerings.

Here is a little history lesson in 04 the 5.4 had as much testing as the eco boost and was supposed to be the greatest engine ever until people started having cam phaser issues and could't change the spark plugs and what did good ole ford do nothing until late 07 when they did a re-design on the heads but it wasn't a design flaw, I suspect ford sold approx. 1.5M or more trucks with that engine, so we will see how the eco does in real world in about 2 yrs along with the EPAS??? As u may have guessed I had to be the first one on the block to get a 04 5.4 was my bad but I paid for it!!

Edited by kenp77
  • Like 1

ken77--You might be correct and the ecoboost turns out to be a turd. I think Ford learned something from the 5.4 fiasco. Undoubtedly the F-150 (F series in general really) is the flagship of Ford. It is their highest selling vehicle and Ford is known for their trucks. This time they released the ecoboost in the Taurus SHO, which simply due to the nature of the vehicle was a limited production. This allowed them to see how the engine would function in the real world and determine any design issues with it. The next year they put it in other vehicles that receive a bit more widespread use. Still no major issues developed. Now it has been put into the F-150. Besides some tuning it is the same design that has shown to not have similar unforeseen design flaws of the 5.4l. It might turn out that the tuning was more than the engine can handle and it blows up quickly. Only time will tell. For Ford's sake I hope it turns out well. They have plans to put this same design in several other vehicles and build it in different cylinder configurations. They are betting heavily on this design. If it works great Ford will prosper. If it doesn't work I think Ford will go the way of GM and Chrysler and declare bankruptcy.

Here is a little history lesson in 04 the 5.4 had as much testing as the eco boost and was supposed to be the greatest engine ever until people started having cam phaser issues and could't change the spark plugs and what did good ole ford do nothing until late 07 when they did a re-design on the heads but it wasn't a design flaw, I suspect ford sold approx. 1.5M or more trucks with that engine, so we will see how the eco does in real world in about 2 yrs along with the EPAS??? As u may have guessed I had to be the first one on the block to get a 04 5.4 was my bad but I paid for it!!

What proof do you have that the 5.4 had the same testing as the ecoboost? I am sure that all of Ford's engines undergo a certain amount of standard testing but the ecoboost also endured the additional "public" torture testing- Baja, NASCAR, etc. Did the 5.4 do these things? NO.

Ford already had ecoboost F150 test mules in 2009 as well.

Thanks for the information. I ordered my 2011 FX4 SCREW on 2/28 and got an email from my dealer the other day with my VIN # and a scheduled build for the week of 3/14. I'm hoping that this factory holdup doesn't delay things.

Also, with regards to the coupons in the brochures, I had requested one via Ford's website quite awhile ago and haven't received anything. Maybe I'll give that phone number a try. So if I receive the coupon before I get my truck, I should be able to use it, right?

What proof do you have that the 5.4 had the same testing as the ecoboost? I am sure that all of Ford's engines undergo a certain amount of standard testing but the ecoboost also endured the additional "public" torture testing- Baja, NASCAR, etc. Did the 5.4 do these things? NO.

Ford already had ecoboost F150 test mules in 2009 as well.

Ford put out the same propaganda on the 5.4 that it had been tested and run for a million miles was bullet proof all the same BS as they have put out for the eco, and in the envirement u will use it in I will predict in a year or less u will have issues with either the engine or the EPAS????

Ford put out the same propaganda on the 5.4 that it had been tested and run for a million miles was bullet proof all the same BS as they have put out for the eco, and in the envirement u will use it in I will predict in a year or less u will have issues with either the engine or the EPAS????

The ecoboost has been tested sufficiently (at least for me) that I felt comfortable ordering one, and unlike most who use them as daily drivers mine will be towing cattle, hay, and other farm stuff. However I do have my reservations about the EPA, mainly because I asked here and was told that it was not serviceable. Which means when it fails- big bucks.

This time they released the ecoboost in the Taurus SHO, which simply due to the nature of the vehicle was a limited production. This allowed them to see how the engine would function in the real world and determine any design issues with it. The next year they put it in other vehicles that receive a bit more widespread use. Still no major issues developed.

The EcoBoost 3.5 liter V-6 has been used in the 2010 Taurus SHO, 2010 Flex, 2010 Lincoln MKS, and 2010 Lincoln MKT. None of those are high-production models and none of them are pick-up trucks. I tend to agree with the other posters that the EcoBoost is an un-proven engine in the F-150.

Furthermore, the 2011 model year leaves cautious truck buyers in a real quandary when it comes to the F-150. None of the available engines has been used in an F-150 before. Every one of them has an unknown long-term reliability record. Ford has really gone out on a limb and only time will tell if that limb was stout enough.

The ecoboost has been tested sufficiently (at least for me) that I felt comfortable ordering one, and unlike most who use them as daily drivers mine will be towing cattle, hay, and other farm stuff. However I do have my reservations about the EPA, mainly because I asked here and was told that it was not serviceable. Which means when it fails- big bucks.

I would say the way u r going to use your truck would be the best test in the world for ford, it will be a true test of how tough the new f-150 really is.. Best of luck and please keep us posted here how it does??