What's on the Horizon: Future Ford/Lincoln products

This is what I've been able to put together from good sources around the web... What else do you know? Any suspicions as to the "whitespace" (just for you, 2b2!) vehicles that are coming?

MY2012-

Focus

C-Max

(MKS was supposed to be here, but it will likely be an early MY2013 as Mr. Wolf finesses the new Lincolns)

MY2013-

Flex, MCE

Fusion, all new

Escape, all new

Expedition, MCE

MKS, MCE (moving to MKT's stretched D4 platform)

MKZ, all new

Lincoln Escape, (potentially early launch) all new

Navigator, MCE

MY2014-

Taurus, all new

Mustang, all new

F-150, all new

Fiesta, MCE

Edge (?) all new

MKX (?) all new

Unknown:

MKT, MCE (reportedly going further upmarket, due to higher than expected ATPs)

Lincoln Explorer (greenlit)

Explorer SHO

Explorer SportTrac (supposed to be within the next few years)

Transit Connect MCE

Transit

Edited by PREMiERdrum

This is what I've been able to put together from good sources around the web... What else do you know? Any suspicions as to the "whitespace" (just for you, 2b2!) vehicles that are coming?

MY2012-

Focus

C-Max

(MKS was supposed to be here, but it will likely be an early MY2013 as Mr. Wolf finesses the new Lincolns)

MY2013-

Flex, MCE

Fusion, all new

Escape, all new

Expedition, MCE

MKS, MCE (moving to MKT's stretched D4 platform)

MKZ, all new

Lincoln Escape, (potentially early launch) all new

Navigator, MCE

MY2014-

Taurus, all new

Mustang, all new

F-150, all new

Fiesta, MCE

Unknown:

MKT, MCE (reportedly going further upmarket, due to higher than expected ATPs)

Explorer SHO

Transit Connect MCE

Transit

I have seen Mondeo in Dearborn for at least twice. I guess the new generation of Fusion should come soon.

Don't forget the Super Duty.

MY2014:

Super Duty, rumored all new

Lincoln "Super Duty" (possible)

"A Lincoln-badged Super Duty would likely be the most luxurious and expensive pickup in Ford’s truck lineup. The idea is said to be based on the three-quarter-ton F-250 with exterior sheet metal that would be significantly different from the current Super Duty. The interior would also be unique, highlighted by a stretched cab similar to the Ram 3500 Mega Cab configuration. Only a single-rear-wheel version of the truck would be available."

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/10/sources-say-lincoln-considering-new-luxury-pickup-truck.html

F150, all new

"@mark: Now that these powertrains have arrived -- I think our sources did a great job getting us info on them! -- I'm turning my attention to the next-gen F-150. Latest speculation is 2013/2014 calendar year. Probably 2014. *Early* news from our sources is that it will definitely have an all-new platform. I've got some details that the next frame will be a big leap forward and gamble in architecture and composition. I'm not prepared to say what those changes could be just yet. For a hint, look at some of the cutting-edge frame stuff that a few high-end European makers are doing. It's not identical but it's along those same lines." - Mike Levine

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/ford-introduces-three-new-lightduty-engines-for-2011-f150-pickup-trucks/comments/page/2/

Your list looks pretty good...but the Taurus should come out as a 2015 model year....most products are redesigned every 5 model years. The current gen debuts as a 2010 and should be replaced for the 2015 model year.

Ford has stated several times that most car and crossover lines will move to a 3 year MCE 6 year new model life cycle. This obviously isn't set in stone, but a generally safe rule to follow when speculating.

Edited list to include Edge / MKX replacements for MY2014.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Nice to see an MCE for Fiesta but we may not see it on NA shores for at least another year after release in Europe/China. Unless, it goes the world car release like the 2012 Focus.

I've heard the 3 year MCE, 6 year cycle as well. I think that make complete sense considering the competition has generally been doing that. You need to keep your lineup updated and fresh. Exceptions seem to be Mustang and Trucks. In this case it seems to be supplemented by 'Special Editions'

Edited by Hugh

Your list looks pretty good...but the Taurus should come out as a 2015 model year....most products are redesigned every 5 model years. The current gen debuts as a 2010 and should be replaced for the 2015 model year.

I'd venture to guess there may be a Taurus MCE in there somewhere as well, unless the whole D3/4 > CD4 platform "issue" has the timing of such vehicles mixed up for now.

Nice to see an MCE for Fiesta but we may not see it on NA shores for at least another year after release in Europe/China. Unless, it goes the world car release like the 2012 Focus.

I've heard the 3 year MCE, 6 year cycle as well. I think that make complete sense considering the competition has generally been doing that. You need to keep your lineup updated and fresh. Exceptions seem to be Mustang and Trucks. In this case it seems to be supplemented by 'Special Editions'

I would honestly think they'll try to switch to a global intro of future Fiesta-related updates/intros - the only reason we were delayed with Fiesta's launch vs. the rest of the world is because the US was a late addition to the current model's destination/market list (I"m not wording it right, but can't for the life of me think of how to properly word it right now) and had to be updated to meet US safety regulations. Any future models I would presume will be developed together worldwide.......though now that I think about it, perhaps you're right for the refresh in saying we could be a year behind on that, but I dunno. Either way, we will at some point see a ~1 year shorter lifecycle for our Fiesta (be it for the MCE or complete redesign) compared to the ROW model, due to the fact of them globalizing production/launches.

...MY2013-

MKS, MCE (moving to MKT's stretched D4 platform)...

...MY2014-

Taurus, all new...

TY :D

&

has anyone (other than me) said anything about the MKS being stretched???

th_mkS_b.jpg

+

th_mkSS-c.jpg

I'd hope they also ^ keep the current wheelbase as a "4-door-coupe" sporty model

(at least until a GRwdP program gets going)

and

Can anyone make a good guess what will happen with the Police versions when the Taurus (& maybe the Explorer) move to the Mondeo-merger platform??

&

since I posted chop-Links^

here's another for an Explorer SportTrak

th_ExST-1.jpg

edit

Don't forget the C-based Lincoln compact.

I really hope they do one - cuz there's a good chance I'll buy one!!!

so

been thinking about it a lot:

think they might use the G.C-Max's longer wlb;

hope they make it very sporty (4 seat TT) & call it the MKE ('rhymes' with XKE)

((wescoent DID say something about Lincoln being-or-getting-or-sharing the nextgen RS driveline))

then

people who want more room can get the very car-like MKG(KuGa)

happy.gif

Edited by 2b2

Don't forget the Super Duty.

MY2014:

Super Duty, rumored all new

Lincoln "Super Duty" (possible)

"A Lincoln-badged Super Duty would likely be the most luxurious and expensive pickup in Ford’s truck lineup. The idea is said to be based on the three-quarter-ton F-250 with exterior sheet metal that would be significantly different from the current Super Duty. The interior would also be unique, highlighted by a stretched cab similar to the Ram 3500 Mega Cab configuration. Only a single-rear-wheel version of the truck would be available."

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/10/sources-say-lincoln-considering-new-luxury-pickup-truck.html

F150, all new

"@mark: Now that these powertrains have arrived -- I think our sources did a great job getting us info on them! -- I'm turning my attention to the next-gen F-150. Latest speculation is 2013/2014 calendar year. Probably 2014. *Early* news from our sources is that it will definitely have an all-new platform. I've got some details that the next frame will be a big leap forward and gamble in architecture and composition. I'm not prepared to say what those changes could be just yet. For a hint, look at some of the cutting-edge frame stuff that a few high-end European makers are doing. It's not identical but it's along those same lines." - Mike Levine

http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2010/08/ford-introduces-three-new-lightduty-engines-for-2011-f150-pickup-trucks/comments/page/2/

The Super Duty's basic chassis dates back to 1999, it really needs an update. GM and Ram are approaching its towing and payload capacities while weighing as much as 800lb less.

since I posted chop-Links^

here's another for an Explorer SportTrak

th_ExST-1.jpg

I think that your Explorer SportTrak as a Lincoln would be decent competition against the Cadillac Escalade EXT, even though the Explorer is a Uni-body and the Escalade is a body on frame. It would also me a more luxurious looking "truck" then the SD platform would.

has anyone (other than me) said anything about the MKS being stretched???

I can't remember from whom, but it was pretty well confirmed a few months back. The MKS and MKT will share the longer wheelbase, which will also help differentiate the MKS from the Taurus.

I think that your Explorer SportTrak as a Lincoln would be decent competition against the Cadillac Escalade EXT, even though the Explorer is a Uni-body and the Escalade is a body on frame. It would also me a more luxurious looking "truck" then the SD platform would.

The Lincoln SD was supposedly a non-starter (concept thrown out and quickly stopped). The Escalade EXT (along with the Avalanche) are dead with the next GMT platform, due in 2013. As much as I liked the Blackwood, I just don't see a pickup fitting into this new lineup. Down the road, once the rest of the lineup is updated and complete, maybe it would work. But they've got bigger proverbial fish to fry right now.

Let's not forget, they haven't gotten it right yet, and they've had 3 tries..

frontshot.jpg

lincoln_mark_lt_2006.jpg

(current Mexico market Mark LT)

lincoln-mark-lt.jpg

...the only reason we were delayed with Fiesta's launch vs. the rest of the world is because the US was a late addition to the current model's destination/market list (I"m not wording it right, but can't for the life of me think of how to properly word it right now) and had to be updated to meet US safety regulations. Any future models I would presume will be developed together worldwide...
I could easily be wrong but

didn't readying the Cuautitlán Assembly Plant account for some of the delay?

TY

& more mere speculation:

Ford won't bring the T6 Ranger here to avoid competition with the F-150 (& possibly other reasons)

but

what about a superLux T6 for Lincoln?

- it wouldn't have to under-$ell the F-150 that way

- negates direct comparisons

- import costs wouldn't be noticeable under all that Luxury ;)

- be an interesting experiment/proof of how badly people want a small(er) truck!!

- & would help (or not hurt) CAFE.

Maybe even a couple/several forms?

th_SportTrk.jpgth_SportMax.jpg

thBronco1.5.jpgth_Expedition.jpg

^old quickie Ford T6 chops^ (that last one ^ has 6 doors - for those who remember those discovered Ford patents)

I can't remember from whom, but it was pretty well confirmed a few months back. The MKS and MKT will share the longer wheelbase, which will also help differentiate the MKS from the Taurus...

If you come across it, I'd greatly appreciate the Link

I've been ranting about this since the MKT Concept was shown, Jan'08

& never saw any supporting info

Edited by 2b2

I could easily be wrong but

didn't readying the Cuautitlán Assembly Plant account for some of the delay?

That was probably part of it too, but I'm pretty sure the switchover to US specs was at least part of it - the assembly plant conversion was probably the rest of it.

Unknown

@SportTrac... Didn't they kill the SportTrac because they couldn't find a market for it... It fails as an SUV and fails as a truck... It was a hybrid of the wrong kind.

@Lincoln Explorer... I thought Lincoln was supposed to get its own identity with less Ford spin-offs. Did the Aviator sell well enough to justify another one?

@Lincoln SuperDuty... Why would they do this? An optioned-out SD is already $60k+; Lincoln is a luxury brand.

@Lincoln Mark... They tried this three times already and failed, in my opinion, all three times. Besides, wasn't the philosophy behind the F-150 Platinum trim-line was that it would provide Lincoln luxury w/Ford's nameplate.

I'm starting to loose faith in Ford's ability to revitalize Lincoln. I just don't find their products appealing with awkward styling and average performance. It seems their only saving grace is good technology that still doesn't make it a must have.

Being a 23 year old, there is no way I would consider a Lincoln product after I finish college. I don't want to be seen in the same hearse that Grandpa Rivers down the street drives :stirpot:

@SportTrac... Didn't they kill the SportTrac because they couldn't find a market for it... It fails as an SUV and fails as a truck... It was a hybrid of the wrong kind.

Ford never broke out Sport Trac sales from the Explorer and at its hayday it seemed to sell pretty well. I can see a niche market for it...for someone who needs 4 doors with rear passenger room more so then cargo. Plus changing the current explorer wouldn't be that hard to do...then again it is a unibody so cutting off the back end might cause issues with crash performance.

@Lincoln Explorer... I thought Lincoln was supposed to get its own identity with less Ford spin-offs. Did the Aviator sell well enough to justify another one?

Even though the Flex and Explorer are on the same platform, they look completely different from one another. One is a people mover low to the ground and the other one is a SUV looking CUV. The MKT is to be slotted as a Limo and Town Car replacement and a MK Explorer would have different sheet metal and be even more luxurious then the Explorer. There is a market out there still for a Luxury SUV.

@Lincoln SuperDuty... Why would they do this? An optioned-out SD is already $60k+; Lincoln is a luxury brand.

@Lincoln Mark... They tried this three times already and failed, in my opinion, all three times. Besides, wasn't the philosophy behind the F-150 Platinum trim-line was that it would provide Lincoln luxury w/Ford's nameplate.

A Lincon SD would be interesting, but I think the biggest problem is that it would be more or less a badge job to make it senseble. I don't think Ford is going to go down the Lincoln MK F-150 route in the States again.

I'm starting to loose faith in Ford's ability to revitalize Lincoln. I just don't find their products appealing with awkward styling and average performance. It seems their only saving grace is good technology that still doesn't make it a must have.

Being a 23 year old, there is no way I would consider a Lincoln product after I finish college. I don't want to be seen in the same hearse that Grandpa Rivers down the street drives :stirpot:

Personally I think you would be down right stupid to buy a Lincoln out of college...your not going to be making 100K+ a year, plus there is many other things you need to worry about like rent or a mortgage payment.

...I'm starting to loose faith in Ford's ability to revitalize Lincoln. I just don't find their products appealing with awkward styling and average performance. It seems their only saving grace is good technology that still doesn't make it a must have.

tho I have practically no doubt that FoMoCo is quite CAPABLE of transforming Lincoln,

I seriously question their WILL to do it.

And since I stopped believing anything they SAY last June when they finished murdering Mercury,

I'll have to wait for them to SHOW me toetap05.gif

but

If they make the effort,

within 2 years I'm sure that Lincoln could be truly desirable (for those with the $$,$$$) and aspirational (for those without).

Ford needs to do with Lincoln what Toyota does with Lexus. Nobody wants to buy an Escaladed-F250. Try adding real luxury features to your premium vehicles, not cheap imitation crap you can get on an upper-trim Ford. Real wood trim, real leather seats (not thin bonded leather crap), 7 and 8 speed dual clutch auto trannies, etc.

Ford needs to do with Lincoln what Toyota does with Lexus. Nobody wants to buy an Escaladed-F250. Try adding real luxury features to your premium vehicles, not cheap imitation crap you can get on an upper-trim Ford. Real wood trim, real leather seats (not thin bonded leather crap), 7 and 8 speed dual clutch auto trannies, etc.

Well, they're not as far off as you think. MKS, MKZ, MKX, and MKT already feature real wood and ultra-premium Bridge of Weir leather.