Tow vs Max Tow Package

PitCritter

I'm looking for some clarification of the Max Tow package. It seems to me that it's not all that much different from the "Tow Package". I'll quote from the CDN brochure, but I'd have to assume the US version is the same.

I've ordered a 2011 FX2 that's scheduled to build next week. The FX2 is "equipped with all XLT features plus:" a long list including "Trailer Tow Package"

The list of XLT options includes "Trailer Tow Package (required for towing over 2,268kg [5,000 lbs])-Includes Class IV trailer hitch receiver; 7-pin wiring harness; upgraded radiator; auxiliary transmission oil cooler; and 6-speed Select Shift Automatic Transmission"

The list of FX2 options includes "Max Trailer Tow Package-Includes Class IV trailer receiver hitch; 7-pin wiring harness; upgraded radiator; auxiliary transmission oil cooler; trailer brake controller; upgraded rear bumper; 6-speed Select Shift Automatic Transmission; and manual trailer tow mirrors with power/heated glass, integrated turn signal indicators and security approach lamps"

Almost everything here is already included as standard on the FX2.

I've ordered the brake controller, too.

Does this mean that the only difference between Tow and Max Tow on my truck is the upgraded bumper and the mirrors (and of course the EB)? I don't see anything that would give greater load capacity on "Max Tow" over "Tow". It's even more confusing when you consider that the towing numbers are down from last year's 5.4 which had lower HP and TQ numbers.

There seems to be a lot of discussion that the Max Tow is only available with the EB. If what I'm seeing is correct, then why the uproar? Are there other upgrades (e.g. upgraded springs…) included in the max tow that aren't mentioned in the brochure?

Also in the chart listing maximum trailer weight ratings, there is a footnote for some of the numbers that says "Requires Max Trailer Tow package".

Is there a separate list showing towing capacity with "Tow" vs. "Max Tow"?

Without max payload, GVWR and actual payload reating are really too low, unless your empty most of the time.

Could be diff between 7,200 lb gvwr to 7,700 in a most extreme example. Payload will get higher.

09 and Job 1 '10 you got an extra 4th leaf with max tow (or 20's). Ford said they dropped the extra leaf and made the 3 you got thereafter with equal load (but dropped 7lbs a side). Now they don't mention any additional leaf capability. So the jurys out. But given extra GVWR and payload, perhaps they still are "heavier" leafs?

Edited by PWR Kid

I have asked this exact same question to about 5 dealers and called Ford (they told me to contact my dealer!), there answer is "mmm, I don't know". So I want to know also how can a bumper and mirror cause the GVW to go from 7350 to 7700?

Edited by Tatunka

I've asked the same questions to dealers and all I get are blank stares. I've heard that the suspension is stiffer for the heavier payload, springs, shocks, etc. heavier bumper, but I agree the descriptions don't explain it. Realy just seems like mirrors and trailer brake are the only difference. Dunno..

• 3 weeks later...

Someone has got to know the answer to this. Also I was looking at the payload specs for the 4x4 157" screw with the 3.5 eco and it stated 7350* gvw or 7700* gvw. Reading below it says *needs max tow package. So does that mean that even though I have a 7350 gvw truck, I have the same equipment as the 7700 gvw truck?

On the bottom

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

Edited by Tatunka

Someone has got to know the answer to this. Also I was looking at the payload specs for the 4x4 157" screw with the 3.5 eco and it stated 7350* gvw or 7700* gvw. Reading below it says *needs max tow package. So does that mean that even though I have a 7350 gvw truck, I have the same equipment as the 7700 gvw truck?

On the bottom

http://www.ford.com/...ations/payload/

One other difference I never understood. the MAX TOW package includes an "upgraded bumper." Does anyonew know what the "upgraded bumper" is?? Thank you.

IIRC, the biggest difference in the Max Tow package is the 3.73 gears. The regular tow package is available with any gearset, even the 3.15 on 2WD EcoBoost F-150s (max 8600 pound tow rating)

So then by going with the FX4 (which comes standard with the 3.73 gears), you are essentially getting the Max Tow package included?

On the bottom

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

Adding the max tow changes from GVWR 7300 to 7700. I asked this question also couldn't get a straight answer. Something in the upgraded bumper comments. One dealer tried to tell me it was gears, but the spec sheets differ.

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTFW1ET6BFB15817

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTFW1ET9BFA59307

I suppose it doesn't matter b/c if you are trying to tow the maximum you need to the rating to be legal, so pony up and pay the extra $500.

I suppose it doesn't matter b/c if you are trying to tow the maximum you need to the rating to be legal, so pony up and pay the extra $500.

There's got to be an employee that knows if there are any mechanical differences between the two. Maybe Ford is blowing smoke and the only difference is the mirrors, bumper, and TBC and just puts a different GVWR to get you to pay more.

• 3 weeks later...

There's got to be an employee that knows if there are any mechanical differences between the two. Maybe Ford is blowing smoke and the only difference is the mirrors, bumper, and TBC and just puts a different GVWR to get you to pay more.

... and the thread goes silent after this. :-) I posted similar questions in different forums and no one can give an engineer's answer. The most logical conclusion I could come to is that trailer tow + 3.73 gears and EB should indeed get you the same ratings as the max trailer tow option, but perhaps Ford was playing with the ratings. I wanted the big honking mirrors and the TBC, so max tow for us.

"Upgraded bumper" is not a really great marketing term. Is it more solid? Is it carbon fiber to reduce weight? Will it automatically hook up my trailer for me?

-Bill.

When the 09s came out I was curious about the "upgraded rear bumper" as well. Reg tow has a stamp on it somewhere says max limit is 10,500 lbs.

Max tow/upgraded version had stamp said 11,500 lbs.

Hitch and bumper are kind of incorporated so ugraded bumper, also means upgraded hitch.

So if were talking about that part of the pkg, there is an actually mechanical diff, but would it really apply to that many? Thats a different debate.

Check the specs on the wheels and tires between Tow and Max Tow.package.

How do I do that?

Found a dealer with a couple supercrews. One with max tow one with regular tow. Seems like that would make the list of upgrades under the max tow package, no?

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTFW1ET6BKD48751&refid=FV

http://www.inventory.ford.com/services/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin=1FTFW1ET1BKD34904&refid=FV

2011 F150 Order Guide

Note that the Max Trailer Tow Package include the Heavy-Duty Payload Package. The Heavy-Duty Payload Package includes

• XL: High capacity 17" 7-lug steel wheels (64K)
  • XLT/Lariat: High capacity 17" 7-lug aluminum wheels (64W)

Ever hear of 7 lug wheels ?

Heavy Duty Payload is only included with Max Tow for trucks with an 8' bed.

2011 F150 Order Guide

Note that the Max Trailer Tow Package include the Heavy-Duty Payload Package. The Heavy-Duty Payload Package includes

• XL: High capacity 17" 7-lug steel wheels (64K)
  • XLT/Lariat: High capacity 17" 7-lug aluminum wheels (64W)

Ever hear of 7 lug wheels ?

Well... I have indeed heard of 7 lug wheels. What I didn't get was that Max Tow includes the HD payload package ... and I don't really see where that's spelled out in the order guide.

So, my supercrew XLT w/6.5' bed that I ordered with the convenience, chrome, and Max Tow.. Since max tow implies the HD package and 7 lug wheels and the chrome package implies 18", 6 lug chrome wheels ... which one wins?

I only got the chrome package because the discount basically made it a cheap way to get running boards.

Well... I have indeed heard of 7 lug wheels. What I didn't get was that Max Tow includes the HD payload package ... and I don't really see where that's spelled out in the order guide.

So, my supercrew XLT w/6.5' bed that I ordered with the convenience, chrome, and Max Tow.. Since max tow implies the HD package and 7 lug wheels and the chrome package implies 18", 6 lug chrome wheels ... which one wins?

I only got the chrome package because the discount basically made it a cheap way to get running boards.

You`ll get the 18`` chrome wheels, the 7 lugs wheel will go on a 8` longbed truck with max tow wich requires heavy duty package

You`ll get the 18`` chrome wheels, the 7 lugs wheel will go on a 8` longbed truck with max tow wich requires heavy duty package

Fair enough and after monkeying around with the ford site, It seems as though the HD Payload package is not an option on super crews. Do I have that right?

Folks don't be surprised that no one has the real answer to this question..........it has been asked on several forums and the answers ranging from 7 lug wheels to extra springs.........in Canada you get the "max payload package" with the max tow..............I called Ford Canada directly to see what "max payload package" really was............was told this included upgraded springs and heavy duty shocks...........when I went to order my truck I asked the dealer and he laughed...........appears that upgraded springs and shocks are a myth..............I went out on the lot and looked at a "regular" tow package and a "max" tow package in terms of suspension.............no difference observed between the two..........how do they get an extra 500lbs payload capacity then?..............good question.............max tow is really: 3.73 gears, with a trailer brake controller.............by the way.............when you call Ford you will get someone reading off a spec sheet...........if you asked a specific question be prepared for a " I am not an automotive technician sir.........you would be best off speaking to your local dealer"..........appears we are all searching for an answer that does not exist...................

Fair enough and after monkeying around with the ford site, It seems as though the HD Payload package is not an option on super crews. Do I have that right?

Yes, you`re right. Don`t worry for 7 lugs wheel on a supercrew, you`d have to go with a reg cab or supercab with heavy duty payload AND a 8 `box to have a wheel swap.

After spending so much time looking under F-150's at a Ford dealer that one of the sales staff asked if I worked there, the only difference I could find in Max-Tow vs. Non-max-Tow trucks with the 3.73 rear end - the trailer hitch is rated 500 pounds higher on the max tow trucks. Couldn't figure out any other difference.

After spending so much time looking under F-150's at a Ford dealer that one of the sales staff asked if I worked there, the only difference I could find in Max-Tow vs. Non-max-Tow trucks with the 3.73 rear end - the trailer hitch is rated 500 pounds higher on the max tow trucks. Couldn't figure out any other difference.

Trailer Tow mirrors are another difference.

And brake controller standard.