3.5L EcoBoost

Toby2005

• 2 weeks later...

How does the 2.0 EB compare to the 3.5. I would think the explorer would benefit more from the 3.5 due to its weight.

Well, the 2.0 EB is being offered more as a fuel-saving option instead of a performance option. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see the 3.5 EB show up in the Explorer perhaps in the 2013 model year, but probably not any sooner.

Well, the 2.0 EB is being offered more as a fuel-saving option instead of a performance option. I wouldn't be completely surprised to see the 3.5 EB show up in the Explorer perhaps in the 2013 model year, but probably not any sooner.

I hope you're wrong, a 2012 Explorer SHO sure would be a sweet...

Well, there haven't been too many rumors in that respect, and it appears that even the 2.0 EB has been pushed back to what will likely end up being the 2012 MY.

I know, I'm starting to lose hope. I will probably sell my truck this year and an Explorer SHO would make a great daily driver. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to settle for a Raptor...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI... The 2.0L EcoBoost will be available only for FWD Explorers and availability has been pushed back to the 2012MY.

Here's a bag of salt........

The latest rumor is that the 3.5-3.7 liter will eventually be replaced by a EB 2.7 liter NEW V6. Evidently scheduled for late 2014-2016. They are shooting for the 280-320HP range depending on the tune.

I'm thinking we should get a 32-33MPG mustang from that motor.

They also tinkered around with a 2.5 liter 4 cyl EB engine but decided against going forward with it.

The EB 3.5 will continue on at that point as the V8 replacement.

Mackintire,

I've been trying to follow this new v6 for a long time

&

have been thinking its 'killer app' will be the Lincoln KuGa/MKG

but

that'd mean it'd have to be ready for next year

confused.gif

if it's 3.5v6-based, coulldn't that timeframe be possible?

or is it just based on the same engine architecture? (or not even?)

((also I was hoping the 2.7EB could go upto 350hp))

&

you're now only the second person I've seen post about the 2.5EB 4cyl in a way that wasn't framed as pure-speculation

Guess I'm just asking for anything else you can say

Mackintire,

I've been trying to follow this new v6 for a long time

&

have been thinking its 'killer app' will be the Lincoln KuGa/MKG

but

that'd mean it'd have to be ready for next year

confused.gif

if it's 3.5v6-based, coulldn't that timeframe be possible?

or is it just based on the same engine architecture? (or not even?)

((also I was hoping the 2.7EB could go upto 350hp))

&

you're now only the second person I've seen post about the 2.5EB 4cyl in a way that wasn't framed as pure-speculation

Guess I'm just asking for anything else you can say

As I understand it the injection and computer control system that was use in the development period showed that the Eco-boost system has plenty of capability.

Unfortunately Ford is still learning how to optimize the system. It seems the development model used a superior engine management control system ( ala CPU) and the original parts spec'ed to make Eco-boost work as envisioned by engineering cost more than originally estimated.

Between cost savings engineering changes and the less expensive engine management system, Ford's Eco-boost engines are not running at full potential just yet.

All in all, the tech is coming, its just not coming as fast or as inexpensive as some of us hoped.

In regards to speculation on future engines, everything is still subject to change, as none of the of the development work has been green lighted for production.

Lastly I do not know which block the 2.7 liter EB engine will come from. I know that that engine has similarities to the 3.5 engine, but do not know if any of the components will be interchangeable.

Edited by Mackintire