Ford's Alan Mulally wants Lincoln on par with BMW, Lexus..

I hear Australia is a fairly dangerous place for noobs with lots of poisonous critters...

...maybe some Falcon lovers could offer J a tour of the outback? :stirpot:

I kinda think Jay Mays threw out a red herring, nothing signed off yet, no one saying boo and there he is

feeding the Aussie press their worst possible nightmare so they can run off and print another screaming

headline - they've done the same thing three years running. Bet Mays, Kuzak and Mulally had a big laugh.

I can't say RWd because everyone will jump down my throat but switch it to something else and BINGO!

In other news,

Mays is reviewing progress on a couple of designs in February over on our side of the world

but this is only a group meeting before final submission in September for something way

in the future, so under One Ford it probably has nothing to do with this whatsoever...

Mays has said that FNA, Cologne and Dunton are all working on submissions at the same time

so it will be interesting to see what comes of all of this, whether it's all smoke and mirrors or is

something quite remarkable happening behind the scenes...

JP,

I've been posting the XF hint since last summer. Good to see you finally caught on. Ignore the Aussie press.

I know for a fact there is a mule.....whether we see it or not i dont know, however...it wouldnt surprize me when the next gen Fusion/ Mondeo rears its head.....

Dean,

A MKZ 3.5 N/A FWD will do 14.5's in the 1/4 by just sticking it in "D" and flooring it all day long.

The TT on the other hand is just badass. It embarasses the SHO.

I'm all for power, but problem is the majority of BMWs out there are usually the cheaper mediocre models. Very rarely do I see the 335, its usually the 330 (or whatever other lower number this use this year)...Same with the 5-series. Its just the lease special so someone can say "I have a BMW" and once inside I notice they aren't any options in them.

Maybe its just me, but my experience has been that many BMW drivers develop a false sense of security BECAUSE they own a BMW that causes them to drive like +ssholes. This happens regardless of the engine under the hood.

The TT on the other hand is just badass. It embarasses the SHO.

No doubt. Just reinforces my belief that the next-gen Fusion should have an "SHO" trim as well. Plenty of models are wearing the EcoBoost label, make SHO the trim of choice for AWD Turbo sedans.

Edited by Moosetang

Going back to the possible renames, earlier in the thread, there's currently a little problem with reusing the Continental name, especially if you're trying to sell to the MB/BMW crowd.

The problem is this:

Bentley_Continental_GT_Speed.JPG

I'm willing to bet that Volkswagen pays its lawyers at least as well as Pep Boys does.

Yes, I'm well aware that the two Continentals have been contemporaries, before, but I think it'll be a problem now, with VW ownership.

Going back to the possible renames, earlier in the thread, there's currently a little problem with reusing the Continental name, especially if you're trying to sell to the MB/BMW crowd.

The problem is this:

Bentley_Continental_GT_Speed.JPG

I'm willing to bet that Volkswagen pays its lawyers at least as well as Pep Boys does.

Yes, I'm well aware that the two Continentals have been contemporaries, before, but I think it'll be a problem now, with VW ownership.

I just did a trademark search and Ford owns "Continental".

Edited by TomServo92

Aviator, Premier, Mark series, Capri, Cosmopolitan, Sentinel (concept)

There are enough historical Lincoln names to fill an entire lineup not to mention a couple from Mercury that might adapt well. So yes, I am all for returning Lincolns back to names.

Lincoln Capri - First used by Lincoln as an entry level vehicle from 1952-59 predating the use by Mercury and Ford of Europe. Certainly this could be adapted for a youthful model such as a small Focus based convertible exclusive to Lincoln.

Lincoln Premiere - (was MKT) Used by Lincoln from 1956-60. The name spelled as "Premier" was most recently used as the premium trim on Mercuries. Hopefully no one would remember the Eagle with the same name.

Lincoln Zephyr (was MKZ)- I always liked that name and I would like it to come back.

Lincoln Continental - (was MKS) This is a given. Put the name on the right car and it will redefine itself. It worked for the new Taurus. The name was never really tarnished, just affixed to mediocre underachieving cars.

Lincoln Mark - Unless Lincoln makes a true successor to the Mark Series, this one needs to be put to rest, After all the name Mark was originally just a suffix attached to roman numerals to literally mark the generational updates to the original Continental series.

Lincoln Navigator - (New Explorer based model) If they want to keep making this behemoth then they can keep the name. Otherwise drop the Expedition based model and slip it over to a new Explorer based variant.

Lincoln Aviator- (was MKX) Goes well as smaller companion to the Navigator.

Lincoln Mariner - Why waste the name? Continue to use it as a Lincoln variant of the next Escape.

Lincoln Voga - (Concept C) Might be nice for that proposed C class Lincoln to use.

Edited by StangBang

I find it hard to believe that Lincoln will ever be on a par with BMW. Lexus yes, but BMW? That's not a dig at Ford or Lincoln or American engineering prowess. It's more a realisation that to catch BMW you actually need to overtake them. BMW are currently developing a range of cars under the project banner 'mega city'. Those cars will be 'mass produced carbon fibre vehicles' running on an electric powertrain.

For Lincoln to catch BMW it needs to also be developing a mega city range and it will also need to ditch most of it's Ford sourced components. It also needs to be developing toys like idrive. To do that will require significant investment. Investment of the kind that Ford started to put into brands such as Jaguar but never actually followed all the way through.

Audi, Mercedes and BMW have a huge technological lead on most of the competition. Even Jaguar isn't yet on a par with BMW. It's still spending a lot of money to get there. Even Alfa Romeo, a brand with huge appealis struggling to find the finance to catch the big German 3.

Lincoln has only been able to stay afloat in recent years by badge engineering Ford products. Managers at Ford always seem wary about going after the competition probably because they doubt Lincoln has the ability to self fund model development beyond 1 range of cars.

The real question is should ford even try to turn Lincoln round? Or should it just run the brand down and out? If Ford really wants a premium brand a better starting point would be 'Mustang'. Now that's potentially a brand with Global appeal....

Audi, Mercedes and BMW have a huge technological lead on most of the competition.

'most of the competition' does *not* include Ford.

Ford has a better hybrid system, better diesels, better electronics, better reliability, and will have better EVs that will also hit the market before any of these three brands.

So Lexus is a luxury brand? BMW well duh, but I'd probably name Lincoln a lot sooner than "Lexus" What do they even make that's so famous and prestigious?

Just before Alan Mulally joined Ford, he proclaim his Lexus to be the best car in the world.....

Big Al's very quiet on that subject these days.....

Edited by jpd80

Just before Alan Mulally joined Ford, he proclaim his Lexus to be the best car in the world.....

Big Al's very quiet on that subject these days.....

And from his point of view at that time, he felt he was correct....

As a Lincoln customer, I would prefer if Lincoln was inspired by the likes of Audi; great design, technology, and value.

Audi should definitely be one of the bench marks for the direction Lincoln needs to go...