Your next pickup?

GTwannabe

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Ranger out sold the Tundra last month. Im not buying a full size. Dont need it and cant afford it. I was just looking at some Ranger forums and people are getting crazy life out of the little 2.3 trucks. I am almost at the point to just get a sub compact car or something and rent a truck when I need one. Not exactly the best idea but I feel like I am left with little choice.

It breaks my heart Ford is killing this truck. I can only imagine how good it could be with modern engines.

I'd love to have a upgraded, with the times ranger....instead i have bought several F150's, which are just a tad larger then i like. To big and to high of a bed.

In the end ford got my money.

But if the 150 keeps growing, i might look at other brands for something smaller.

Give me a updated ranger pickup and i will buy it

Edited by Pete

• 2 weeks later...

My 2011 Ranger I just bought suites me perfect - 22/27 with the 2.3L 5-spd manual combo, but still has the extended cab and enough options to make it a good, comfortable, and practical daily driver. Cheap too, with the Feburary incentives I walked out the door for about $16.5K with an XLT supercab with some options. I'm thinking I can get close to 30 with it on the highway if I keep speed at a reasonable level.

Yes I know this truck won't be the greatest in winter, but I have my trusty lifted 4wd 92 Explorer for winter commuting when it's nasty out.

You might be pleasantly surprised in the snow especially since your '11 has AdvanceTrac. My "02 reg cab 2.3L manual with a little weight in back (cap, tools and work related equipment) has been through 8 midwest winters, gotten me where I needed to go, and on all season tires. If AdvanceTrac works as well in the Ranger as it does in the F-150 I tried (2wd and no limited slip) during a raging snowstorm you may not miss 4wd much. It's not 4WD to be sure but I thought it to be a huge improvement.

You mentioned incentives .......... they've gotten better still..... at least on one model, the XLT 4x4 4dr SuperCab w/ manual tranny. I'm not sure if it's nationwide or not but in my neck of the woods the local zone office (Northland Ford) is running ads with a suggested price of $18,254- that's over $7800 off the sticker and at the actual dealer level it's more still- over $8g off the sticker. What's weird is it just seems to be this one model. DW and I are sorely tempted as both her Escape and my Ranger have well over 100,000 miles on each of them. In better economic times it would have been a done deal but given the economic uncertainty.........

Edited by jc21

• 2 weeks later...

Will be getting a Tacoma. Have a F-150 Supercrew and will not have another. We call it the big red bus, takes up to much space in the garage and to hard to park. I don't need to haul much and use it as a daily driver. Had waited for a double cab Ranger but since it's not coming I'll be going to the Tacoma (19-25 mpg auto).

Edited by AgDon

I've been checking out dealerships to plan my next purchase. I looked at a crew cab PRO-4X Frontier. Liked it quite a bit, but the rear seat legroom was pitiful. I'm 6' and my knees were jammed into the back of the driver's seat. Also no real usable space under the rear seat for my tools, air compressor, etc. I'd have to factor in the cost of a Bakflip-type bed cover or cap and further reduce the already limited bed space.

I stopped by the Honda dealer to check out a Ridgeline. They had no new or used Ridgelines; a few trucks on order, but they weren't built yet and they had no estimate when they'd arrive. The salesman even tried contacting another employee who owned one so I'd have something to look at. I think Honda may have poached the "talent" that was running Ford's Ranger program.

On the plus side, my B3000 has been returning excellent fuel economy (23mpg). I think it knows the end is near and it's trying to appease me.

Edited by GTwannabe

• 3 months later...

In 5 years when I go to replace my truck, a Tacoma, I'll probably skip Ford if they aren't offering a small truck like the Ranger. Simple fact of the matter is that I'm a member of the market segment Ford is turning their backs on. I need a small to midsized 4X4 truck that can handle some hauling and towing chores. A F150 is way too big, and expensive, for my needs. :titanic:

Not bringing the redesigned "Global Ranger" to the US market is a mistake. Hopefully Ford will rectify this in the future before I'm ready to go truck shopping again. If not, well Toyota will have the redesigned Tacoma out by then and I'm sure Nissan will have something competitive too.

The new Chevy Colorado looks interesting. With a modern powertrain, it should handily beat the bloated F-150 on MPG's.

Currently, I'm leaning toward the Ridgeline. A 2nd generation version is supposed to be released as an early 2013. If it's a weak effort (ala 2012 Civic), I might try to find a leftover 2012. Not crazy about the slushbox and timing belt motor, but it seems like the best compromise between space, utility, and MPG's.

• 7 months later...