Your next pickup?

GTwannabe

Now that Ford has killed any hope of a redesigned Ranger, what will be your next truck? The F-150 is just too big, heavy, and expensive for me and has no manual transmission option. Currently leaning toward a quad cab Nissan Frontier with the PRO-4X package. Any 4WD truck in my price range will get lower MPG's than my B3000, so I'm trying to hold off as long as possible.

Come on, Ford... Nissan and Toyota can make money in the mid-size truck arena, why can't you? A 2.0 Ecoboost mid-size would spank the competition in fuel economy. Even a Honda Ridgeline style unibody truck would be better than nothing.

Now that Ford has killed any hope of a redesigned Ranger, what will be your next truck? The F-150 is just too big, heavy, and expensive for me and has no manual transmission option. Currently leaning toward a quad cab Nissan Frontier with the PRO-4X package. Any 4WD truck in my price range will get lower MPG's than my B3000, so I'm trying to hold off as long as possible.

Come on, Ford... Nissan and Toyota can make money in the mid-size truck arena, why can't you? A 2.0 Ecoboost mid-size would spank the competition in fuel economy. Even a Honda Ridgeline style unibody truck would be better than nothing.

I currently drive a '06 Frontier and can say it has been a pretty good truck. It likes gas, but I have only put 37,000 on it in over 4 years, so I can afford it. It performs really well, has great acceleration, etc. We were an all Nissan family for a while, but earlier this year traded the Altima for an Edge Limited AWD. The Edge is really a great car and I just found out the last couple days that it is great on snow!

I was looking forward to the rumored F-100 as the current Ranger is just a little too small and cramped. But, now I will probably get another Frontier or a Tacoma when the time comes. Any Chrysler or GM product is not on my shopping list.

I currently drive a '06 Frontier and can say it has been a pretty good truck. It likes gas, but I have only put 37,000 on it in over 4 years, so I can afford it. It performs really well, has great acceleration, etc. We were an all Nissan family for a while, but earlier this year traded the Altima for an Edge Limited AWD. The Edge is really a great car and I just found out the last couple days that it is great on snow!

I was looking forward to the rumored F-100 as the current Ranger is just a little too small and cramped. But, now I will probably get another Frontier or a Tacoma when the time comes. Any Chrysler or GM product is not on my shopping list.

I haven't sat in a Frontier in a couple of years. It seemed like the back seat (crew cab) was a bit too upright compared to the Toyota, but you CAN get a 6 foot bed with the crew cab. Maybe the rear in the Frontier is better now? I don't know. The last Toyota I sat in seemed to have a decent back seat, but I don't think you can get a Double Cab without it being one of those jacked-up Prerunners.

I too find the F-150 is just too big (especially for loading purposes) compared to my '93 Ranger. I haven't decided what I'm going to do. I'm down on Toyotas right now (my wife's Highlander has been a disappointment, not mechanically but little things like rattles, broken trim, faulty switchgear) I've considered the Titan, but am still holding out for something better (for me).

Edited by RangerM

...am still holding out for something better (for me).

That's pretty much my situation as well. I've looked at them all:

1) The GM offerings are real POS's and I'd never consider one.

2) The Frontier looks to be a real gas hog (worse than my current driver - a 92 Explorer) and I just need better mileage out of a daily driver.

3) The Tacoma does a little better on mileage, but I find them ugly enough that I doubt I could live with one (the interior especially). Plus I refuse to pay Toyota's premium for a merely average product.

4) A 2011 2wd Ranger supercab with the 2.3L is currently the most tempting, but I'd really like a full back seat and the depreciation on a new Ranger is fast and furious - it just seems like an exceptionally bad idea financially speaking (every new car purchase is financially stupid due to depreciation, but this seems worse than other new vehicles).

5) I'm eager to see what the rumored Dodge/Jeep small truck comes to. This could potentially be the best option.

6) All full size trucks are out without consideration. I want better gas mileage in a daily driver and already have a full-size and have no use for another. Plus at $30K plus for a crew cab (about $4K more if you want 4x4), the full-size option doesn't fly.

If the Explorer ever really quits on me (I define this as greater than $500 in parts or 2 full days of work since I repair every issue my self) I'll probably just end up with another used Ranger of the < $4,000 variety. I find these old trucks to be as reliable as any brand new car. I bought my Explorer for $3200 in 2003 with 76,000 miles on it. For the last 7.5 years, it's started everyday and gotten me where I needed to go. Heck, last summer I drove it from northern Illinois all the way to western Alberta, Canada and back without a hitch. It's just about ready to cross the 200,000 mile mark and still reliable as anything sitting on the dealers lot.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

• 5 weeks later...

I dont have a Ranger but have a Sonoma. This has put me in a conundrum also. I want a 4 cyl small truck. I thought about a 150 with a v6 but honestly just dont need that much. I cant bring myself to by a Toyota anything so thats out. I may look to see what Nissan has. Gmc is for sure out. Those trucks are problematic from what I have read. I didnt know Dodge was looking at something smaller. I would at least take a look at them. If I could afford one I would snatch up a Ranger right now but its not to be. Might be able to find a good used one later on and just drive what I have into the ground literally.

It sucks to hi heaven Ford has killed the Ranger off. I saw some pics of the new T6 Ranger at pickup trucks dot com and its actually bigger than what I want or need. I guess we are in such of a minority that we dont matter anymore.

Just like so many others, I too am holding out hope that Ford will do something, I am looking at the others, Nissan, Suzuki, Toyota, etc. Right now GM is out, full size is out, too big and the Canyon is't any bigger than the Ranger. I really want and need a crew cab and I was looking at the new Suzuki Equator, not crazy about the name at all, but it is a pretty nice looking truck that is offered in the crew cab with a 6ft bed. It is assembled along side of the Nissan on the same assembly line but has some different looks. It does have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty for the powertrain which is really good. Has a 4.0v6 with 261hp and like 280lb ft of torque, gas mileage isn't that good for the 4 wheel drive truck which is what I am want for my next truck but since I only drive about 6000 miles a year it's ok. I don't like the look of the Dodge Dakota and I am waiting to see what updates they are going to do with it. My brother has the full size F-150 and says it's just too big for his liking. I've really liked my Ranger but it is getting close to time to get a replacement, it's coming up on 14 years old and I need more room.

Looked at the Nissan trucks and they are out. Too expensive and the 4 cylinder sucks gas like a v6. I searched around and Im not sure if Dodge is going to come out with anything or not. I found a few sketches and its supposed to be built on a mini van frame so thats not too hot. Looks like a mini El Camino and was pretty pathetic.

I am looking forward to the new jeep(possibly with a diesel). I think it is based on the Wrangler. Problem is

it is all rumor at this point.

Supposed to come out in 2012, but no diesel. Might get a Pentastar V6... or it might just be the Wrangler's crappy 3.8. Either way, it doesn't seat 4 adults and I doubt it will average more than 18mpg.

For my purposes (daily driver, ability to haul firewood several times a year) the Ridgeline is ~90% what I need:

Pros:

- seats 4 adults

- standard 4WD

- 1500lb payload

- fits a mountain bike with the rear seats folded

- large lockable trunk under the bed to carry tools/guns/etc.

- can get over 20mpg on the highway

Cons:

- overpriced (it's a Honda)

- no manual transmission

- "4WD" is actually AWD and lacks low range

- weak interference engine that needs timing belt changed every 60k miles

- lousy city MPG

- something hangs very low in the middle of the undercarriage and kills ground clearance

Why is Ford so stupid? They need to do like the old 80's and 90's series trucks/broncos where most everything bronco/f150-350 was the same

F-100 to replace ranger

nice fuel-sipping engine

smaller,lighter, MUCH better than 20mpg (25-30?)

Add a bronco off-road (jeep killer) version.

Same frame, body, interior, components= big savings $$$$$

Boo ya, now everybody who wants a small capable truck is happy

Everybody who wants a new bronco/off-roader (non-jeep) is happy

Cafe is happy

And Ford's vehicle lineup is thus complete

Edited by probowler

If there isn't any more indication why the small truck market has collapsed and why Ford is in the situation they are in:

"There isn't much room in this debate. American automakers have largely ceded this category to the Japanese, with the Chevy Colorado, Dodge Dakota and Ford Ranger being old and woefully neglected in lieu of their full-size siblings. As a result, Nissan and Toyota now are the best choices in this segment." Edmunds Truck buying guide

On could have said the same thing only a few years ago for compact cars, and yet we've seen Ford and GM reenter the market by utilizing "turn-key" options from overseas. What upsets us compact truck owners is that the same can be done with the Ranger. Think about how revolutionary the Ranger would be if it achieved the expected ~25 mpg with a 4x4 3.7L V6? This is 25+% mpg greater than the Frontier and the Tacoma and comparible to V6 AWD Crossovers and Sedans.

I'll be getting an F-150 SuperCab - it was the closest thing I could find to the Ranger, but with an actual back seat. Also, 4 MPG better fuel economy is nothing to sneeze at :D

I should add I only considered Ford vehicles, which kind of narrowed the choices down a bit

Edited by p38fln

A F150 is just too big and a V6 version is way too underpowered... Looking for something to replace both my old buddy, Ranger which I got back in college (wheep), and my daily-driver, Volvo S60 hand-me-down. It needs to have good power-to-weight, be able to fit 4 adults, and get 25mpg with highway driving. Also I'd prefer under $30k. The F150 V6 can't quite get there. This has me looking at crossovers... But nothing has attracted me yet and as such am sitting on my money.

Underpowered V-6? Where have you been?

The new Ecoboost V-6 (which is what I ordered) gets 21 MPG as a 4x4, which is 4 MPG than the Ranger FX4 I have now, or 23% better - 22 MPG as a 4x2

It also puts out 365 HP and 420 lb-ft of torque, and does zero to sixty in 6.8 seconds

And, I have to point out, with the current rebates you can easily get a F-150 with the Ecoboost engine under $30,000. These are XLT's that I priced out, not the bare bones XL. F-150 SuperCabs are actually big enough for an adult to get in the backseat, unlike that pathetic excuse for a back seat in the Ranger.

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCab, 4x2, 6.5 foot bed, 3.15, 3.5 liter ecoboost engine - MSRP (After rebates) $26,205

Even as a 4x4 it comes under $30,000 -

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCab, 4x2, 6.5 foot bed, 3.31, 3.5 liter ecoboost engine - MSRP (After rebates) $29,285

Even the base 3.7 liter V-6 is a fairly powerful engine - 302 HP with 278 lb-ft of torque - 23 MPG on the highway

2011 F-150 XLT SuperCab, 4x2, 6.5 foot bed, 3.73, 3.7 liter V-6, MSRP (after rebates) $24,455

First off comparing anything to that fuel sucking boat anchor called an engine in the current Ranger is just pure BS... What would the Ranger do if it had been blessed with the 3.7L V6? I'll admit the EcoBoost sounds like it could move the F150 well enough... But I'm not too impressed by the V6... I know what a 300hp engine does with a truck over 6000lb... It's called my wife's V8 Mountaineer. And that wouldn't do. But you got to realize I'm combining both my daily driver and my truck into one vehicle. Admittedly the only way this works is if I ride the Triumph to work more often. I don't think of a car/bike as I way to get from point A to point B, but that driving is an experience by itself. Additionally I want something that can get 25mph, not 23mpg, not 21 mpg... 25 mpg. I'm sticking hard and fast with this as I want something I can take on road trips that can get significantly better fuel economy than my wife Mountaineer. I know this is demanding... And finally I have no wish to drive around the snow around here in a 2WD pickup... Been there done that and won't do it again. AWD/4WD or nothing. I've been out a handful of times where I've gone skiing or snowshoeing and came back with the snow piled up to the wife's wheel wells. Have gotten out only because I had a shovel in the back and 4WD. And anyway I have neither use nor a wish to drive around a 19ft monster... Why is it so hard for people to understand that bigger is not better? I want something that isn't a pain in butt to drive/park downtown, or to drive onto a tight trailhead with limited turnaround room. In those two cases something oversized is actually a hindrance. I’m not saying a small pickup fits the needs of everyone, but why is the assumption that a large pickup fit mine?

Edited by Kris Kolman

Yes, the Ranger would be a kick butt truck with the new 3.7 liter V-6 in it instead of that fuel gulping 4.0 - probably more MPG and definitely 92 more horsepower :) Probably have to cram the 6R80 transmission into it somehow...

makes you wonder how long it will be til someone tries it

My 2011 Ranger I just bought suites me perfect - 22/27 with the 2.3L 5-spd manual combo, but still has the extended cab and enough options to make it a good, comfortable, and practical daily driver. Cheap too, with the Feburary incentives I walked out the door for about $16.5K with an XLT supercab with some options. I'm thinking I can get close to 30 with it on the highway if I keep speed at a reasonable level.

Yes I know this truck won't be the greatest in winter, but I have my trusty lifted 4wd 92 Explorer for winter commuting when it's nasty out.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

• 2 months later...

Whats even more disturbing is that the ranger hasnt changed in atleast a decade. AKA the R&D is well paid for. So where is all the money going?

Edited by jasonsadler10

Whats even more disturbing is that the ranger hasnt changed in atleast a decade. AKA the R&D is well paid for. So where is all the money going?

Frittered away on failed projects no doubt (Excursion, Freestyle, Taurus X, Thunderbird, etc)

My B3000 is up to 170k; decision time is coming...

Edited by GTwannabe

After waiting for 2 years for Ford to come out with a Ranger with rear doors and decent economy with nothing happening, I bought a new 2008 F-150 STX 4.6L regular cab with the 6.5 ft bed and absolutely love it. Fits in the garage easily, spacious and very comfortable with 20 mpg on long trips and my luggage fits behind the seat. Much better than the Ranger for me.

Since I wanted a new off road vehicle to replace my Early Bronco, I bought a new Rubicon Unlimited in 2006 that I also love.

For me, if Jeep comes out with a new pickup with the Pentastar in it, it will probably replace both the Rubicon Unlimited and F-150. At least it looks like Jeep has something exciting coming up in the right size off road capable category.

No new off road Bronco and no new 4wd Ranger coming up! :shrug: