F-150 is a Ranger Replacement

That guy apparently has been brain washed by Ford. As reported here on BON, nobody will want a new F150 to replace their old Ranger, NOBODY!

We never said that. All we said was that the F-150 doesn't make a very suitable replacement for the Ranger.

For me, it basically comes down to this:

1) Ranger fits through my 8' wide single garage doors without folding the mirrors in. F-150 does not (I've tried it with my brother's 2006).

2) Ranger is available with a manual transmission, F-150 isn't.

3) Ranger supercab 4x4 goes for $25K. F-150 supercab 4x4 goes for $30K+. F-150 crewcab 4x4 goes for $35K+.

Given the fact that I already have a 5/8 ton (HD modifications by me) 1995 F-150 to do my heavy truck work, I see no need to spend $$$$$ to drive a 2011 F-150 around every day that won't even fit in my garage. Right now I'm looking at getting an approximately 6-year old Dakota crew cab to replace my current Explorer and Ranger. I just need to find the elusive 4.7L V8 5-speed manual 2wd.

And no one was ever rejoicing about Ranger 4.0L SOHC gas mileage. What we were hoping for was a 3.5L, small diesel, or 2.0EB. All of those would undoubtedly do 25+ in even the current brick-shaped Ranger.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv
  • Like 1

We never said that. All we said was that the F-150 doesn't make a very suitable replacement for the Ranger.

1) Ranger fits through my 8' wide single garage doors without folding the mirrors in. F-150 does not (I've tried it with my brother's 2006).

3) Ranger supercab 4x4 goes for $25K. F-150 supercab 4x4 goes for $30K+. F-150 crewcab 4x4 goes for $35K+.

Given the fact that I already have a 5/8 ton (HD modifications by me) 1995 F-150 to do my heavy truck work, I see no need to spend $$$$$ to drive a 2011 F-150 around every day that won't even fit in my garage. Right now I'm looking at getting an approximately 6-year old Dakota crew cab to replace my current Explorer and Ranger. I just need to find the elusive 4.7L V8 5-speed manual 2wd.

And no one was ever rejoicing about Ranger 4.0L SOHC gas mileage. What we were hoping for was a 3.5L, small diesel, or 2.0EB. All of those would undoubtedly do 25+ in even the current brick-shaped Ranger.

Sounds like you buy used vehicles. Ford doesn't produce used vehicles, so you wouldn't be in their target market anyway.

Oh, and if Ford does make a Ranger, $100 says it won't have a manual any way.

Sounds like you buy used vehicles. Ford doesn't produce used vehicles, so you wouldn't be in their target market anyway.

Only because I'm forced to - I can't help it that the manufacturers don't make something I want to buy nowadays. I buy vehicles based on which one offers exactly what I want and none of what I don't. Being a very mechanically competant individual with several major vehicle builds under my belt, age and mileage don't really mean much of anything to me. I'd just as likely drive a 1963 whatever if it more exactly matched what I wanted than any of the 2011s do. I've found that vehicles produced from about 1985 to 2005 are usually closer to what I'm looking for than those made prior to the mid-eighties or within the last 5 years. I'm still holding out hope though that someone (preferentially Ford) will build a new vehicle I could be happy with.

Oh, and if Ford does make a Ranger, $100 says it won't have a manual any way.

Probably true, as Ford is giving up on manuals lately, with the mustang being the only bright spot. Looks like Ford is just trying to relagate me to used vehicles and other manufacturers. Then again the T6 does have a six speed manual as the primary transmission. Granted that truck is for the rest of the world where automatic transmissions never really caught on - but still...

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Sorry man, wasn't trying to get you riled up again. Just making a joke... :)

I hear Mahindra may have what you're looking for and I also hear it should be available sometime in 2008!

I hear Mahindra may have what you're looking for and I also hear it should be available sometime in 2008!

Ha! That's pretty good...

Seriously though, the Mihindra looks good on paper. Judging by the recent developements though, I don't think I'd want to touch any of that companies products with a 10 foot pole. I was hoping that they'd make Ford and others pay attention to the portion of the market (albeit small) that thinks like I do.

Only because I'm forced to - I can't help it that the manufacturers don't make something I want to buy nowadays. I buy vehicles based on which one offers exactly what I want and none of what I don't. Being a very mechanically competant individual with several major vehicle builds under my belt, age and mileage don't really mean much of anything to me. I'd just as likely drive a 1963 whatever if it more exactly matched what I wanted than any of the 2011s do. I've found that vehicles produced from about 1985 to 2005 are usually closer to what I'm looking for than those made prior to the mid-eighties or within the last 5 years. I'm still holding out hope though that someone (preferentially Ford) will build a new vehicle I could be happy with.

Probably true, as Ford is giving up on manuals lately, with the mustang being the only bright spot. Looks like Ford is just trying to relagate me to used vehicles and other manufacturers. Then again the T6 does have a six speed manual as the primary transmission. Granted that truck is for the rest of the world where automatic transmissions never really caught on - but still...

Of course, Ford does currently sell a new Ranger. It's better than a used Dakota.

Of course, Ford does currently sell a new Ranger. It's better than a used Dakota.

No crew cab option on the Ranger, and a new Ranger depreciates BIG TIME when you drive it off the lot (as in about half it's original price, due it being a 10 year old model). Before you point out the sport trac, remember that there is no manual transmission and some trim levels out price a crew cab XLT F-150.

That's not to say the new Ranger option isn't tempting me though...

But the used Dakota = real crew cab, someone else already took the depreciation hit, and you can get that sweet V8/manual transmission combo. Then again that sweet V8 comes at a price with not-so-great fuel efficiency, but then again the 4.0L SOHC Ranger's fuel efficiency is nothing to write home about either, even in 2wd form.

Why can't Ford just build me a crew cab Ranger with the 5.0L V8 (heck, I'd be happy with a 2v 4.6L V8) and a 6-speed manual? :happy feet:

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Yeah, because most people here don't care about having a manual transmission, and today's automatic transmissions are more efficient than manual transmissions, eliminating that benefit for them.

• Like 1

No crew cab option on the Ranger, and a new Ranger depreciates BIG TIME when you drive it off the lot (as in about half it's original price, due it being a 10 year old model). Before you point out the sport trac, remember that there is no manual transmission and some trim levels out price a crew cab XLT F-150.

That's not to say the new Ranger option isn't tempting me though...

But the used Dakota = real crew cab, someone else already took the depreciation hit, and you can get that sweet V8/manual transmission combo. Then again that sweet V8 comes at a price with not-so-great fuel efficiency, but then again the 4.0L SOHC Ranger's fuel efficiency is nothing to write home about either, even in 2wd form.

Why can't Ford just build me a crew cab Ranger with the 5.0L V8 (heck, I'd be happy with a 2v 4.6L V8) and a 6-speed manual? :happy feet:

Ford isn't going to make a vehicle just to appease to one person. Ford spends millions on market research each year to calculate market needs yet you sit here acting as if Ford has no clue as to what it is doing. I am sorry that you are a fringe consumer but Ford cannot afford to cater to niches.

• Like 1

Ford isn't going to make a vehicle just to appease to one person. Ford spends millions on market research each year to calculate market needs yet you sit here acting as if Ford has no clue as to what it is doing. I am sorry that you are a fringe consumer but Ford cannot afford to cater to niches.

Apparently you didn't catch the sarcasm in that last sentence of my post.

Yeah, because most people here don't care about having a manual transmission, and today's automatic transmissions are more efficient than manual transmissions score better in the EPA ratings, eliminating that benefit for them.

Fixed it for you. Seriously - I dare to you to compare real world results from actual drivers and then tell me the manual transmission models are doing worse, given the same model and engine. Todays automatic transmissions are much easier to control than an actual driver shifting the gears. Therefore, emissions and EPA ratings are much easier to optimize with an automatic transmission. Out in the real world, the laws of physics still apply and a manual transmission, with it's direct drive design, has a higher unit efficiency than an automatic transmission using a fluid-filled torque converter.

Now dry-clutch, torque-converter-less automatics are a different story, and should, theoretically, equal a regular manual transmission in unit efficiency. Of course these are controlled by computer(s) as well, and are therefore more easily optimized for EPA mileage ratings and emissions.

But even with all that put aside, a couple facts remain:

1) A clutch puts the fun back into driving

2) A clutch is a very handy tool to have in a truck used for moving big loads. I don't expect many here to understand this, but those of you who've used an F-250 with a 5 or 6 speed stick to pull large trailers will know exactly what I'm speaking of.

Edited by Sevensecondsuv

Uh, make that two. I have the exact same requirements as Sevensecondsuv as do many more potential customers. Unlike he and I, they are just too smart to post here and be brow beaten by people who would never buy a truck in the first place.

• Like 1

Uh, make that two. I have the exact same requirements as Sevensecondsuv as do many more potential customers. Unlike he and I, they are just too smart to post here and be brow beaten by people who would never buy a truck in the first place.

Again, you are going to claim to know better than a company that has invested millions on market research in the pursuit of producing the most efficient offering of vehicles possible? I am sorry there maybe two of you, or there maybe 10,000 of you but that unfortunately doesn't justify a market that Ford should pursue. If you have market research that shows Ford is making a mistake please present it, but the reality of the matter is that small truck sales have been going down year after year. I just don't understand why it is so hard for some to understand that Ford is a company that does in fact research the market and probably has a better understanding of said market than anyone here. Heck I want Ford to make an AWD four door luxury sports coupe with 500hp+ and I am certain that there is other people out there that might want a similar machine but I most certainly don't expect Ford to make one because as a company they don't have the means to pander to every single last person's wants. I feel Ford is making no real mistake in getting rid of the Ranger, and Ford obviously feels the same way...

Again, you are going to claim to know better than a company that has invested millions on market research in the pursuit of producing the most efficient offering of vehicles possible? I am sorry there maybe two of you, or there maybe 10,000 of you but that unfortunately doesn't justify a market that Ford should pursue. If you have market research that shows Ford is making a mistake please present it, but the reality of the matter is that small truck sales have been going down year after year. I just don't understand why it is so hard for some to understand that Ford is a company that does in fact research the market and probably has a better understanding of said market than anyone here. Heck I want Ford to make an AWD four door luxury sports coupe with 500hp+ and I am certain that there is other people out there that might want a similar machine but I most certainly don't expect Ford to make one because as a company they don't have the means to pander to every single last person's wants. I feel Ford is making no real mistake in getting rid of the Ranger, and Ford obviously feels the same way...

But don't they have a right to voice their opinion as well as you do on here? Why the needless sarcasm when no one has directed any or anything personal at you? It IS OK for people to personally believe Ford is making a mistake or feel like their needs aren't being met. As long as they state honest reasons as to why they believe the way they do without personally directing negativity towards anyone else, why chastise them or ridicule their opinion?

Edited by OHV 16V
  • Like 1

But don't they have a right to voice their opinion as well as you do on here? Why the needless sarcasm when no one has directed any or anything personal at you? It IS OK for people to personally believe Ford is making a mistake or feel like their needs aren't being met. As long as they state honest reasons as to why they believe the way they do without personally directing negativity towards anyone else, why chastise them or ridicule their opinion?

Because there is a big difference between saying "I WISH Ford would build what I want" and "Ford is making a mistake by not building what I want" especially when the latter implies that there is a big market opportunity when the sales numbers (facts) say otherwise.

• Like 1

Again, you are going to claim to know better than a company that has invested millions on market research in the pursuit of producing the most efficient offering of vehicles possible?

Is this the same Ford that designed the original Windstar with two sliding doors, pulled it back because "market research" said it wasn't needed, then Chrysler came out with dual sliders, then Ford played catchup for the next 8 years until it just gave up? Is this the same "market research" that renamed it the "Freestar"?

Is this the same "market research" that made Ford that replace a decent seller in the pre-'05 Taurus, kill the nameplate, put out the "Five Hundred" then rename it the Taurus, then finally throw out the exterior design to get to the currrent one?

Don't say "Mulally", he's only one cog in the machine -- a lot of these "market researchers" still work for Ford. My faith in them only goes so far. Let's hope this isn't their first major fuckup under the new regime.

Personally, I feel (my opinion that we're all entitled to) that the increase in sales of the F150 from Ranger shoppers will be offset by the loss in foot traffic in the dealerships from people who won't bother and go straight to the Toyota dealership for a Tacome and then get upsold a Tundra. Any salesman will tell you that getting your customer in the door is half the battle. All these ads for $15,000 Rangers get people into dealerships even though you and I both know they sure don't have one in stock. So F150 sales will be marginally affected but we'll still be down 50,000 Ranger sales per year.

The dealers on the FMCDealer board are already crying about it....

Edited by OAC_Sparky
  • Like 1

Because there is a big difference between saying "I WISH Ford would build what I want" and "Ford is making a mistake by not building what I want" especially when the latter implies that there is a big market opportunity when the sales numbers (facts) say otherwise.

No disrespect akirby, but there never will be a way to tell if a revised Ranger would spark the market segment back to life or not, we're not getting one to find out. Ford is using the best data it can which is still a presumption, and also the smart thing for Ford to do as opposed to taking a chance. But saying those are the facts? Hardly.... The segment is dwindling, but my personal opinion is that it would take both a dramatically revised Ranger and Tacoma to spark any kind of serious numbers again. (Possibly Frontier as well...) Combine that with the thought that a well-revised Ranger will hurt 3.7-liter F-150 sales, and I understand Ford's reasoning.

And I've seen people get ridiculed on here for simply stating "I WISH...." I'm not denying that some folks do as you imply, but there are also some that will put up a defense for anything remotely negative about or different from Ford's way of doing things, and that's just ridiculous.

• Like 1

Do you think Ford is willing or able to make a multi-billion dollar bet on a failing segment with high risk and tiny returns?

No disrespect akirby, but there never will be a way to tell if a revised Ranger would spark the market segment back to life or not, we're not getting one to find out. Ford is using the best data it can which is still a presumption, and also the smart thing for Ford to do as opposed to taking a chance. But saying those are the facts? Hardly.... The segment is dwindling, but my personal opinion is that it would take both a dramatically revised Ranger and Tacoma to spark any kind of serious numbers again. (Possibly Frontier as well...) Combine that with the thought that a well-revised Ranger will hurt 3.7-liter F-150 sales, and I understand Ford's reasoning.

And I've seen people get ridiculed on here for simply stating "I WISH...." I'm not denying that some folks do as you imply, but there are also some that will put up a defense for anything remotely negative about or different from Ford's way of doing things, and that's just ridiculous.

This is exactly what I am getting at. I am not trying to cause anyone offense. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. However people can only beat a dead horse so long before they just need to move on.