Ford Focus clutch problems

lilmldak

I have a 2000 Ford Focus, 3 days ago the clutch fell to the floor. The garage came and got it and fixed it. Today it did the same thing again. I have no pressure on the clutch pedal I can't shift gears I can't do anything. Does anyone know what the problem is? Please any info would be greatly appreciated.

I have no pressure on the clutch pedal I can't shift gears I can't do anything. Does anyone know what the problem is?

I'm guessing it's the clutch.

Seriously though - what did they do to "fix it"? Check the reservoir fluid level - you may just have a fluid leak somewhere. If it has fluid then it sounds like the clutch master cylinder is bad.

That is what they just replaced 3 days ago. The clutch master cylinder. Now it is doing the same thing all over again. I cant afford a new cylinder every days...LOL And their is fluid still in it so I am at a loss.

It is possible that the 2nd master cylinder failed. It's also possible they charged you for a new one but didn't actually replace it. I'd have it checked by another mechanic to make sure it's really the master cylinder.

It is possible that the 2nd master cylinder failed. It's also possible they charged you for a new one but didn't actually replace it. I'd have it checked by another mechanic to make sure it's really the master cylinder.

Well Thank You, knowing the mechanic that fixed it I guess it is possible they just rigged it up to make more money. A friend of mine said they might not have tightened the lines when they replaced the cylinder and the fluid leaked out. Could that be a possibility?

Well Thank You, knowing the mechanic that fixed it I guess it is possible they just rigged it up to make more money. A friend of mine said they might not have tightened the lines when they replaced the cylinder and the fluid leaked out. Could that be a possibility?

Yes, or you could have a leak somewhere that they didn't fix, but I thought you said you checked the fluid level and it was ok?

The clutch pedal is attached directly to the master cylinder and the master cylinder provides the pressure, so if the pedal is on the floor then either the pedal itself isn't connected to the master cylinder or the master cylinder has failed. But definitely check the fluid level to be safe.

Yes, or you could have a leak somewhere that they didn't fix, but I thought you said you checked the fluid level and it was ok?

The clutch pedal is attached directly to the master cylinder and the master cylinder provides the pressure, so if the pedal is on the floor then either the pedal itself isn't connected to the master cylinder or the master cylinder has failed. But definitely check the fluid level to be safe.

We checked the fluids when it came back out of the shop, and the fluid levels were where they were supposed to be. I am a CNA and had a client with me today when it messed up on me. I was only worried about getting my client out of the weather and safely home. I never checked the levels today. I figured since it was good when it left the shop it should be fine now since it has only been 3 days since it come back home from the shop.

We checked the fluids when it came back out of the shop, and the fluid levels were where they were supposed to be. I am a CNA and had a client with me today when it messed up on me. I was only worried about getting my client out of the weather and safely home. I never checked the levels today. I figured since it was good when it left the shop it should be fine now since it has only been 3 days since it come back home from the shop.

You could have a leak in the hose or the transmission that was misdiagnosed as a leaky master cylinder. Easy enough to check.

You could have a leak in the hose or the transmission that was misdiagnosed as a leaky master cylinder. Easy enough to check.

Is everyone sure you do not have a broken clutch return spring? Back when I was with Ford, I saw a few of those...the clutch hydraulics do not provide sufficient force to return the pedal by themselves.. just a suggestion.

Edited by Tiberius1701

We found the problem. When they went to pick it up the clutch went to the floor. So they checked the fluid levels and filled it up. After filling it up the clutch came back after several mins. of pumping the pedal. There was a hole in the line and it didn't leak while sitting but when you hit the clutch all the pressure on the line was blowing out all my fluid. They replaced the line and now my car runs wonderful. Thanks everyone for all the help and ideas.

There was a hole in the line and it didn't leak while sitting but when you hit the clutch all the pressure on the line was blowing out all my fluid. They replaced the line and now my car runs wonderful. Thanks everyone for all the help and ideas.

Glad you got it fixed.