2014 mustang

Oh no, another sla/irs debate......... :beatdeadhorse:

Not sure what they can do next, a modern 65 fastback? The technology is getting crazy, how about 1000hp/8spd/2700lb's/50mpg ? 0-60 1.9 and the quarter in 9.00 flat on gummy street tires? seriously, where is the limit for a street driven everyday car. This isn't a $200,000 ferrari that's garaged 9/10th's of it's life, it's a car everybody will drive every day.

What ford has done to the mustang to this point is amazing, can't imagine where it will go from here.

Of course I can't wait either! :burnout:

What ford has done to the mustang to this point is amazing, can't imagine where it will go from here.

Of course I can't wait either! :burnout:

Rumors of significant weight reduction, that more than anything will make

a huge difference to the performance and fuel consumption of the Mustang.

I'm excited for you guys, I just hope they engineer it for RHD too...

I also suspect that they will also move to a more modern, more aerodynamic shape. I'd be interested in seeing someone do up a photochop of a mustang with the design language of the new focus, but with a handful of classic mustang elements, like the C scoops, multi segment tail lights and fastback shape thrown in.

"mustang with the design language of the new focus"

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? Please, be joking!

• Like 1

I also suspect that they will also move to a more modern, more aerodynamic shape. I'd be interested in seeing someone do up a photochop of a mustang with the design language of the new focus, but with a handful of classic mustang elements, like the C scoops, multi segment tail lights and fastback shape thrown in.

Only thing I can see working is the lower trapezoidal grill found on the Taurus, Fiesta and Fusion....otherwise nope...

Wish I had more money.....the Focus ST looks like a car I will want, but then I really like my Mustang and the 2014 Mustang moving away from retro to future forward design from the Mustang DNA sounds very interesting - I have to imagine Ford could come up with a killer design. Significant weight reduction would also be great.

Well guess I don't have to worry about it for now

No. Ford has finally learned from it's mistakes. The new design will be more modern, but will retain the classic stance that was lost in the mid 70s. The Mustang will continue to evolve in a similar manner to the Corvette; as opposed to the polarizing stylistic changes that are so commonly associated with most American cars.

just a rumor...

Expect the next Mustang to be smaller, while retaining the same proportions as the current model, albeit wider. The backseat will be nothing more than a novelty (possibly optional) due to the slightly shorter wheelbase. Expect even more voluptuous fender flares with even harder crowns on key character lines. The front fascia will sport a soft point topside with headlights that are almost invisibly blended with the grill kind of like a modern hodge-podge between a '69 gt500 and the current model, but with far better flow. The actual lamps will be flanked with functional brake ducting vents which almost seem as if they were licensed from cervinis... err the 1970 Mustang. No trapezoids, instead non-symmetrical pentagons bottomside. Rear hips are far more defined laterally. Side scoops return, however in completely different configuration than current. Hatch is also back, but don't worry, it's way more 60s than 80s... still though it has it's own modern spin to it. Rear headlights are still angled, but slightly recessed to appease both lovers and critics of the current design. Full under-tray is standard, with a (REAL) rear diffuser on the GT. Base engine is now EB I-4. 5.0 returns with 15% more power, and variable displacement tech. GT500 is nixed... err replaced. Practically all accessories are driven electrically...

Weight savings expected to be as much as 15%, no less than 10%...

Just my 2 cents...

The backseat will be nothing more than a novelty (possibly optional) due to the slightly shorter wheelbase.

I hope they do not reduce the backseat anymore. If anything keep the car's dimensions the same, but make the backseat a little more usable. A 2 seater will not sell as well or be as desirable as a 4 seater imo.

I hope they do not reduce the backseat anymore. If anything keep the car's dimensions the same, but make the backseat a little more usable. A 2 seater will not sell as well or be as desirable as a 4 seater imo.

It's already been decided. The mustang is a 2+2 going forward, akin to a Porsche. Unlike Porsche, Ford doesn't have the headroom to use lightweight materials like carbon fiber to cut weight. The Mustang must be downsized... and with a 3200 lb. target for the GT(as little as 3000 lbs for the EB25), Ford engineering can't afford to leave anything on the table.

I agree. I think the Mustang's historical success has a lot to do with the fact that you can get a cool, fun car that still does what regular not cool, not fun cars can do. If it doesn't have a useable back seat, then the Mustang loses a big portion of its market.

It really depends on what you mean by a usable back seat... If you mean that it should keep up with the incredible fat people in this country, the Mustang will be the size of an F150 in a few years. I actually wish they would reduce the size of it. Not saying it should be the size of a Miata, but it should not get any bigger.

Although I suppose if they want to sell more of it...it probably will need to be bigger. I've seen some pre-teen kids that won't fit into the back of the current Mustang already...and that's the future.

I agree. I think the Mustang's historical success has a lot to do with the fact that you can get a cool, fun car that still does what regular not cool, not fun cars can do. If it doesn't have a useable back seat, then the Mustang loses a big portion of its market.

It really depends on what you mean by a usable back seat... If you mean that it should keep up with the incredible fat people in this country, the Mustang will be the size of an F150 in a few years. I actually wish they would reduce the size of it. Not saying it should be the size of a Miata, but it should not get any bigger.

Although I suppose if they want to sell more of it...it probably will need to be bigger. I've seen some pre-teen kids that won't fit into the back of the current Mustang already...and that's the future.

without a at least semi usable back seat the car becomes a ford corvette. This is not what Mustang is supposed to be. Especially for people who buy the V6. A usable back seat is a must. Ford had a sports car with no back seat. It was called Thurderbird.

Absolutely, and you are right. My point is that because people are getting much fatter with each year, what is a usable backseat today will not be in 5 years. That means the Mustang will have to be bigger and bigger...until you are basically driving a van with a sports car engine.

without a at least semi usable back seat the car becomes a ford corvette. This is not what Mustang is supposed to be. Especially for people who buy the V6. A usable back seat is a must. Ford had a sports car with no back seat. It was called Thurderbird.

The Mustang must be downsized... and with a 3200 lb. target for the GT

People kill me when they say this!

Lets see...I had a 98 GT and now have an 06 GT and I say in no shape or form can the Mustang change interior wise and go back to the Fox sized interior.

The difference between a 2004 GT and an 2011 GT is about 500 lbs more, but has more options like Sync, Nav etc...that all add up

The difference between a 2004 and a 2005 is only 200 lbs..which have similar options to it.

Shrinking down the Mustang isn't going to help the weight issue (look at the difference between the BMW 1 and 3 series...same platform, only about 100-200 weight difference), unless they make it Fiesta sized.

Absolutely, and you are right. My point is that because people are getting much fatter with each year, what is a usable backseat today will not be in 5 years. That means the Mustang will have to be bigger and bigger...until you are basically driving a van with a sports car engine.

When could you stick an Adult in the back of a Mustang for more then short ride? It hasn't been able to fit anyone back there for over 25 years now...its not going to change now.

All they would have to do is bring back the notchback model. The main problem in the backseat of todays Mustang is the lack of headroom. When we bought our first Mustang in 64, it was our family car. I'm 6' even and could sit comfortably in the back.

218975295.jpg

Edited by StevenCaylor

For me a usable back seat equals:

Adult in the back seat, and their knees aren't in my back, and my knees aren't in the dashboard. Right now it's a very close fit. Make some more knee room under the dash and it will be possible to shorten up the passenger area, a bit. A non adult-usable back seat really kills it for me. Take room from the trunk if you need to.

For me a usable back seat equals:

Adult in the back seat, and their knees aren't in my back, and my knees aren't in the dashboard. Right now it's a very close fit. Make some more knee room under the dash and it will be possible to shorten up the passenger area, a bit. A non adult-usable back seat really kills it for me. Take room from the trunk if you need to.

It would not be a Mustang if it has a useable back seat as you define it. I'm OK with the 2+2midgets Mustang. It would be nice to have a proper 4 door saloon car with RWD and a hot V8.

It would not be a Mustang if it has a useable back seat as you define it. I'm OK with the 2+2midgets Mustang. It would be nice to have a proper 4 door saloon car with RWD and a hot V8.

That Should have been Cougar's job; oh well. i dont really care about a backseat though, i dont buy cars for my friends.