New Flagship LIncoln in the Works

did not see this based on what I saw last night. Continental name was discussed as being recognizable to the public but no car was associated with it.

From Reuters:

"Ford Motor Co(F.N) is developing a flagship, large sedan that harkens back to the Continental as part of its effort to overhaul the lagging Lincoln brand, two dealers briefed on the plans said on Monday.

Much more here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0414850120101005

Please don't call it Continental or Town Car! I won't buy a Lincoln with that name!

I guess you will never buy a Bentley Continental. I like the name Continental. I really liked the Continental Concept several years ago. The mid 60's Continental is probably my favorite Lincoln. However, I agree that Town Car name is done.

I hope they don't mess it up with some retro instrument cluster like the current Navigatior's gagues.

Please don't call it Continental or Town Car! I won't buy a Lincoln with that name!

Well you can barely afford your MKX...so I really don't think your option counts...

timeline of re-dos and refreshes.

Well No duh...

New smaller cuv. No small car and no rwd flagship. Kinda disappointing really. Focus on mkz and Mkx. Gunning for Lexus.

Well its good they are working on a smaller CUV/SUV based off the Escape...I don't know how successful a Focus based Lincoln would do

As for gunning for Lexus..the ES350 and RX are their best sellers...so its only natural

timeline of re-dos and refreshes. New smaller cuv. No small car and no rwd flagship. Kinda disappointing really. Focus on mkz and Mkx. Gunning for Lexus.

ATTENTION SHOPPERS: PAGING BORG BACK TO THE "RWD LINCOLN FLAGSHIP" THREAD... WE HAVE A SPECIAL ON CROW FOR YOU TO EAT. :shades:

C-segment Lincoln is a crossover, not a Focus.

:beerchug: edit to add smilies... all in good fun Borg.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

ATTENTION SHOPPERS: PAGING BORG BACK TO THE "RWD LINCOLN FLAGSHIP" THREAD... WE HAVE A SPECIAL ON CROW FOR YOU TO EAT.

Not that i am 100% lincoln fan but i dont think a car below the MKZ would have been a bad idea, like the world really needs another CUV; but anyway i digress.

What is the timeline for this model? Mariner based? or Kuga Based?

From Reuters:

"Ford Motor Co(F.N) is developing a flagship, large sedan that harkens back to the Continental as part of its effort to overhaul the lagging Lincoln brand, two dealers briefed on the plans said on Monday.

Much more here:

http://www.reuters.com/article/idUSN0414850120101005

Oh, no. Not again. Another t-shirt I have in the closet. Ford should just pull the f'ing black notebooks off the shelf (but they probably threw them away), and they would have their answer.

I seriously hope that Ford isn't asking the dealers to make significant personal investment to improve their dealerships while promising them product that doesn't have a chance of being delivered. That's exactly what happened 8-10 years ago with a lot of Ford bravado and an unrealistic Lincoln cycle plan that had zero probability of happening. Hopefully there are lessons learned, but unfortunately those that learned the lessons are no longer with the company.....

Just looked closely at the article, they never said RWD (which i assumed when i posted the news first). Hope Ford isn't try to fool anyone by build a super-duper-Taurus (the MKS is just a super Taurus :shades: ) and pass it off as a Benz-S competior. Knowing Ford if they go the AWD/FWD route it would be based on a D3 replacement rather it's own dedicated platform, ill be shocked if Ford make it's own AWD platform for it like Audi A8. Otherwise RWD in this class is a must.

timeline of re-dos and refreshes. New smaller cuv. No small car and no rwd flagship. Kinda disappointing really. Focus on mkz and Mkx. Gunning for Lexus.

So what's the timeline? You said 2 years, but for what?

Why not a small car? We've been led to believe one is in the works.

What's the new Flagship? An MKS

Any Concept C news?

Here is a related yet unrelated question...Ford supposedly had readied a Mercury version of the new Focus and that it was going to debut at either the New York or Chicago auto show but it was pulled at the last minute due to Fords decision to end Mercury. Does anyone have any idea what it was going to look like?? Are there any pictures of it out there floating around??

Not that i am 100% lincoln fan but i dont think a car below the MKZ would have been a bad idea, like the world really needs another CUV; but anyway i digress.

What is the timeline for this model? Mariner based? or Kuga Based?

There is no more Mariner - deal with it LOL

It will therefore be Kuga/Escape based.

Here is a related yet unrelated question...Ford supposedly had readied a Mercury version of the new Focus and that it was going to debut at either the New York or Chicago auto show but it was pulled at the last minute due to Fords decision to end Mercury. Does anyone have any idea what it was going to look like?? Are there any pictures of it out there floating around??

It was never shown to my knowledge. From what I gather, it really wasn't much more than a nose and tail job like the Milan though anyway. Certainly not something that would find its way into the Lincoln lineup at this point without drastic changes.

I seriously hope that Ford isn't asking the dealers to make significant personal investment to improve their dealerships while promising them product that doesn't have a chance of being delivered.

I expect that the conflation of Campbell53's notes and the overheated prose in that article (we're talking rooters here--a terrible news agency) is that Ford's committed to making a more than incremental improvement to the MKS.

I for one hope they make it worthy of the Continental name and then call it Continental. I am sick if the meaningless and confusing "MK__" Bullshit.

If Mulally is serious about fixing what's wrong with Lincoln, and I have no doubt he is based on his past performance, Ford has to differentiate Lincoln by giving it products that don't exist at the Ford store. They also need to take aim right at Lexus and Benz, not Buick and Acura. The dealership experience must be impecable and that has to extend to dual dealers.

The Lincolns of the 1960s should be the benchmark uniquely built and engineered premium cars that demand a premium price, not just a loaded up Ford or a better appointed Mercury.

I for one hope they make it worthy of the Continental name and then call it Continental. I am sick if the meaningless and confusing "MK__" Bullshit.

If Mulally is serious about fixing what's wrong with Lincoln, and I have no doubt he is based on his past performance, Ford has to differentiate Lincoln by giving it products that don't exist at the Ford store. They also need to take aim right at Lexus and Benz, not Buick and Acura. The dealership experience must be impecable and that has to extend to dual dealers.

The Lincolns of the 1960s should be the benchmark uniquely built and engineered premium cars that demand a premium price, not just a loaded up Ford or a better appointed Mercury.

Mark, That entire post made sense. What a breath of fresh air. Now will you advocate the government let people keep enough of their money to buy one? Just kidding, LOL! There may be hope for you yet...

people there is no car continental or otherwise to talk about. Unless Lincoln lied to us, the vehicles we have now plus a small cuv is all there is.

Edited by RichardJensen
housekeeping

people there is no car continental or otherwise to talk about. Unless Lincoln lied to us, the vehicles we have now plus a small cuv is all there is.

IF such a program exists (who really knows), then it's likely still at least several years out, unlike the product that was briefed to the dealers that will be arriving in the next 12-24 months.

There are other insiders discussing an MKT based Flagship sedan, though the name is what's being debated right now.

Edit: From JALOPNIK

Automotive News claims this morning that Ford may revive the Continental brand name as part of that overhaul. They're right — there will be a Lincoln MKT (Ford Taurus platform)-derived large sedan to take over for the outgoing Lincoln Town Car, but our sources tell us the name won't be Continental. We're also hearing Ford's again looking at suicide doors for this new luxo-barge — think something similar to the 2002 Lincoln Continental concept — but that's not yet set in stone. In fact, it may just be a design element we'll see on a concept version of the new sedan.
Edited by PREMiERdrum