Petition Ford to bring the T6 Ranger

Mackintire

I am a Ford fan and I do agree Ford needs to keep a competitive small pick up truck. I agree that the F-150 is just way too big for my needs. If Ford were truly interested in moving Ranger customers to the F-150, they would offer the regular cab/short box version of it with the new V-6 for 2011. At this time, it is not clear to me if that configuration is even an option for the 2011 F-150.

However, I actually like the current Ranger. IMO all Ford needs to do is refresh the interior and add more efficient engines and transmission choices while keeping it conforming to safety laws. That alone could give it a few more years until a better choice is ready.

I am not at all interested in buying an imported Ford truck. Manufacture it here or I'll be putting down my money on the new Jeep pick up truck allegedly given the green light. IF Jeep builds that truck and Ford doesn't answer, there will be a loud sucking sound created by loyal Ranger customers and businesses alike going to the new Jeep pick up truck.

• 1 month later...

That sounds mighty brave, but the fact is Jeep has yet to produce an inexpensive anything worth having. Patriot? Compass? Merely relabled Dodge/Plymouth platforms. Plymouth is dead, Dodge isn't far behind. Jeeps are traditionally expensive to buy, and maintain. I doubt that they will have an inexpensive "small" pickup without a less expensive version over at the (Dodge) Ram store. And refresh my memory. Just where is that small Dodge pickup that they used to produce and sell? Out of production, that's where.

Edited by jonas1022

• 3 months later...

Is Mexico still getting/building the T6 Ranger? Seems like a no-brainer to slap an F-100 badge on the new Ranger, limit the engines to 4 and 5 cylinders, and sell it on Ford lots. So what if it's 90% the size of an F-150? Who cares? You're just utilizing excess Mexican plant production capacity when it's available. Price them similar to the Tacoma/Frontier (loaded 4WD quad cab under 30k) and they will fly off the lots!

Is Mexico still getting/building the T6 Ranger? Seems like a no-brainer to slap an F-100 badge on the new Ranger, limit the engines to 4 and 5 cylinders, and sell it on Ford lots. So what if it's 90% the size of an F-150? Who cares? You're just utilizing excess Mexican plant production capacity when it's available. Price them similar to the Tacoma/Frontier (loaded 4WD quad cab under 30k) and they will fly off the lots!

Mexico....no.

Brazil....Yes.

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a Ford fan and I do agree Ford needs to keep a competitive small pick up truck. I agree that the F-150 is just way too big for my needs. If Ford were truly interested in moving Ranger customers to the F-150, they would offer the regular cab/short box version of it with the new V-6 for 2011. At this time, it is not clear to me if that configuration is even an option for the 2011 F-150.

However, I actually like the current Ranger. IMO all Ford needs to do is refresh the interior and add more efficient engines and transmission choices while keeping it conforming to safety laws. That alone could give it a few more years until a better choice is ready.

I am not at all interested in buying an imported Ford truck. Manufacture it here or I'll be putting down my money on the new Jeep pick up truck allegedly given the green light. IF Jeep builds that truck and Ford doesn't answer, there will be a loud sucking sound created by loyal Ranger customers and businesses alike going to the new Jeep pick up truck.

My thought was take the Ranger, give it a freshen up styling outside and in, then put an Eco-Boost motor in it...

Increased mileage = better sales for small trucks IMHO, if the F150 ecoboost gets as good if not better it takes away one fairly large benifit of having a smaller truck...

Besides, Ranger with EcoBoost 2.0l in a short box regular cab with a 6 speed and real posi rear end would be a freakin HOOT to drive!

• 1 month later...

My thought was take the Ranger, give it a freshen up styling outside and in, then put an Eco-Boost motor in it...

Increased mileage = better sales for small trucks IMHO, if the F150 ecoboost gets as good if not better it takes away one fairly large benifit of having a smaller truck...

Besides, Ranger with EcoBoost 2.0l in a short box regular cab with a 6 speed and real posi rear end would be a freakin HOOT to drive!

I have a pic I took yesterday of a Mazda /ranger near Romeo, mi. Mazda rear and three bar blueoval front. I can't get it to post though...arrgh

• 3 weeks later...

My wife & I saw a T-6 global Ranger yesterday, here in Livonia, MI, with manufacturers plates on it. It's huge. Way bigger than the Ranger that just went out of production here. Looked to be the size of the a Dodge Dakota. I wonder who would buy that over an F-150, except for the garagability issue. If the next gen F-150 goes back to being a bit more garagable, the T-6 Ranger might be viewed as redundant here.

My wife & I saw a T-6 global Ranger yesterday, here in Livonia, MI, with manufacturers plates on it. It's huge. Way bigger than the Ranger that just went out of production here. Looked to be the size of the a Dodge Dakota. I wonder who would buy that over an F-150, except for the garagability issue. If the next gen F-150 goes back to being a bit more garagable, the T-6 Ranger might be viewed as redundant here.

Yes, it's bigger than the US Ranger, but I wouldn't call it "huge." T6 is exactly the same width as a Nissan Frontier (72.8"). It's 5.5" longer than the short wheelbase Frontier. It's 8" shorter than the long wheelbase Frontier/Dodge Dakota.

I would have figured the +4-5 MPG better fuel economy or the fact that it has a higher weight bedload capability than the F150 might be something US buyers may be interested in.

Although the pricing is the biggest sticking point. That T6 is not cheap.

Shrinking to the size of the 97 model would be a good start. I stopped by the Ford dealership today after looking at Frontiers (T6-width, -5.5" length). Walked up to a 4x4 F-150 and tried reaching into the bed. I'm 6' tall and the top of the bedrail was wedged into my armpit. I'd expect that from a Super Duty, but very inconvenient for a daily driver.

Edited by GTwannabe

Shrinking to the size of the 97 model would be a good start. I stopped by the Ford dealership today after looking at Frontiers (T6-width, +5.5" length). Walked up to a 4x4 F-150 and tried reaching into the bed. I'm 6' tall and the top of the bedrail was wedged into my armpit. I'd expect that from a Super Duty, but very inconvenient for a daily driver.

Sure do hope Ford comes up with something and sooner than later. The F-150 is just too big and could not agree more about trying to reach over the side rails. Put a tool box on and most anyone would need to have a step stool or a ladder to access it. Guess the latest side steps on the vehicle are supposed to help here, but you still need a stool just to check the oil.

At some point bigger is not better in America - I hope. For us, a Dakota sized vehicle would be close to right. It just needs to feel like a good value relative to MPG improvements, handling improvements, AWD option?

Some of us would be willing to pay for a new truck that is both functional, frugal, fun to drive, easy to park, fits in a garage - etc., etc.

Got to be a market and the first one to it will likely win over some customers. Hope it isn't the new Colorado and I'll keep an eye on it. It may very well be to GM what the T-6 could have been for Ford.

I bought my first non-FoMoCo vehicle yesterday:

IMG_20120228_173815.jpg

It's a PRO-4X (Nissan's FX4 equivalent) with the 6-speed manual.

Congratulations on what should be a very nice new truck. Just the package and trim level I would buy. Will be curious as to gas mileage as it breaks in. Considering that we do well (19 mpg average, mixed driving) with our 4.0 Ranger 4X4, 5-speed manual - I am thinking this package should be a good 15% better. And for sure better all highway.

The other plus is the Frontier is holding its resale value surprisingly well.

Enjoy and keep us posted. None of us wanting a mid-sized truck can wait on Ford forever.

Congratulations on what should be a very nice new truck. Just the package and trim level I would buy. Will be curious as to gas mileage as it breaks in. Considering that we do well (19 mpg average, mixed driving) with our 4.0 Ranger 4X4, 5-speed manual - I am thinking this package should be a good 15% better. And for sure better all highway.

The other plus is the Frontier is holding its resale value surprisingly well.

Enjoy and keep us posted. None of us wanting a mid-sized truck can wait on Ford forever.

The Frontier's MPG estimates are the same as the "revised" numbers for my B3000 (15 city, 20 highway). The Mazda averages 21 and I can get 23 with mostly highway driving.

Would have preferred a T6 with EB 2.0 or diesel for the extra MPG and another few inches of rear legroom. But I am very happy with the Nissan so far.

The Frontier's MPG estimates are the same as the "revised" numbers for my B3000 (15 city, 20 highway). The Mazda averages 21 and I can get 23 with mostly highway driving.

Would have preferred a T6 with EB 2.0 or diesel for the extra MPG and another few inches of rear legroom. But I am very happy with the Nissan so far.

That's funny because I was pricing one today. A 2012 quad-cab LE, Auto, 4x4 with the sport package. Either way, I'll be buying something next spring.

• 4 weeks later...