2011 Diesel Problems

385HP

Link?

Proof?

Have no link, was told by the local Ford Dealer truck mechanic thats also a good friend of mine, that they already had turbo failues and some had recieved a "Flash Update" that increases it to 800 ft/lb torque cause of complaints of lack of turbo boost lbs

Edited by 385HP

Impressive! What's the total weight of that load?

Don't know for sure... trailer is @6.5K & each roll is close to 1000 (there's 15 on there). Would have added two more rolls, but discovered the trailer tire was separating as we were loading! They weren't left off because of the truck!

We replaced a 2000 F350 Lariate dually (7.3) with this machine - would say this 250 performed beyond expectation!!

Very disturbing when you see a post saying the turbo is blowing up.... next load is a trailer full of beef to the sale barn...

Have no link, was told by the local Ford Dealer truck mechanic thats also a good friend of mine, that they already had turbo failues and some had recieved a "Flash Update" that increases it to 800 ft/lb torque cause of complaints of lack of turbo boost lbs

Pulling about 22-23000 lbs & turbo kicked in a few times at @ 50%... no complaints here about power...

""

He is wrong. There have been turbos fail I am sure. Anything mechanical can fail, and first year runs are always more suspect. The rate of true failure is almost nil though. Several of the reported "failures" turned out to be misdiagnosis of oil or coolant leaks, where there was a damaged seal and the turbo was mistakenly replaced for them-- they released a service message about this. There are also a few floating out there with a mis-adjusted wastegate which again, has been misdiagnosed as turbo failure. These have been fixed in production and as all the new 6.7's warranty claims are, reviewed throughly, probably more so than I have seen in any other new powertrain launch ever.

The latest software is a p!$$!ng match with GM. The 6.7 Super Duty hit the market before the 6.6 GM twins. They showed their cards first. GM then released the 6.6 with slightly more power than the Super Duty. The 'Job 2' trucks will have this software. And for the first time, Ford is upgrading the software on previously sold trucks to the latest (400 hp/800 tq) upgrade. The reflash is primarily to put more power down than GM. It will also result in a small increase in economy, even though they already get better economy than the GM twins.

They are going to include some other enhancements to cure a software glitch or two that have popped up-- the 2-3 flare and the stuck in 5th. Surprisingly, there have been very few of those. The launch so far is going well, with very few issues. Compare to EITHER the 6.0 or the 6.4 launch and this has been almost as perfect as any launch can be. I remember not being able to drive brand new 6.0's off the transport because they ran so poorly.

Edited by YT90SC

""

He is wrong. There have been turbos fail I am sure. Anything mechanical can fail, and first year runs are always more suspect. The rate of true failure is almost nil though. Several of the reported "failures" turned out to be misdiagnosis of oil or coolant leaks, where there was a damaged seal and the turbo was mistakenly replaced for them-- they released a service message about this. There are also a few floating out there with a mis-adjusted wastegate which again, has been misdiagnosed as turbo failure. These have been fixed in production and as all the new 6.7's warranty claims are, reviewed throughly, probably more so than I have seen in any other new powertrain launch ever.

The latest software is a p!$$!ng match with GM. The 6.7 Super Duty hit the market before the 6.6 GM twins. They showed their cards first. GM then released the 6.6 with slightly more power than the Super Duty. The 'Job 2' trucks will have this software. And for the first time, Ford is upgrading the software on previously sold trucks to the latest (400 hp/800 tq) upgrade. The reflash is primarily to put more power down than GM. It will also result in a small increase in economy, even though they already get better economy than the GM twins.

They are going to include some other enhancements to cure a software glitch or two that have popped up-- the 2-3 flare and the stuck in 5th. Surprisingly, there have been very few of those. The launch so far is going well, with very few issues. Compare to EITHER the 6.0 or the 6.4 launch and this has been almost as perfect as any launch can be. I remember not being able to drive brand new 6.0's off the transport because they ran so poorly.

Thanks for that info. I HAVE A QUESTION. Today, I receive my new F250 with the 6.7 diesel. I was told it was built in August 16th. How do I find out if it has the Job 2 upgrade?

Thanks for that info. I HAVE A QUESTION. Today, I receive my new F250 with the 6.7 diesel. I was told it was built in August 16th. How do I find out if it has the Job 2 upgrade?

No. 8/23/10 is the production change, unless they have gotten it before it left the plant's lots(doubtful). Your dealership should update it , as they are supposed to update everything in inventory and cannot sell a vehicle with outstanding FSA's.

• 3 weeks later...

""

An insider friend of mine said the truck was originally supposed to launch with the 400/800 tune, but they de-tunded the first batch just because they knew that GM would try to top whatever they put out. From what I hear, there is still even more power available without actual hardware changes.

• 1 month later...

That bull crap, he must have bought a GM and know wish he bought a ford.

My dealer has sold 60+ units and not one has came back., and thats a fact. I got the first 6.7 from my dealer and I have it running on a Hot Shot hauler and have over 40000 miles on her at last report and the only time it saw the shop was for service and a tire repair.

And thats my story and I'm sticking to it.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

What kind of real world mileage are you guys seeing out of the 6.7?

I picked up my f350 6.7 in Nov of 2010 but never got any time behind the wheel before the 1st of March when we loaded up our 4k lb slide in camper and headed out for a 6,000 mile trip. I got about 12 miles per gal. driving about 65 to 70. It picked up to 13.5 when I backed off a little because of snow. I was a little disapointed. I'm hoping to get better after I get more miles on it. It sure does have the power and handles great with the camper. The mountains were a piece of cake. The only trouble I've had is a delay once in a while when I step on the gas peddle while going less than 5 miles an hour trying to get thru an intersection. Got a little hairy a couple times with traffic on my butt or trying to hit my side. The shop is going to look at it in a couple weeks.

I picked up my f350 6.7 in Nov of 2010 but never got any time behind the wheel before the 1st of March when we loaded up our 4k lb slide in camper and headed out for a 6,000 mile trip. I got about 12 miles per gal. driving about 65 to 70. It picked up to 13.5 when I backed off a little because of snow. I was a little disapointed. I'm hoping to get better after I get more miles on it. It sure does have the power and handles great with the camper. The mountains were a piece of cake. The only trouble I've had is a delay once in a while when I step on the gas peddle while going less than 5 miles an hour trying to get thru an intersection. Got a little hairy a couple times with traffic on my butt or trying to hit my side. The shop is going to look at it in a couple weeks.

12 or 13. is GREAT mileage towing. My 6.4L with 6k lb toy hauler, mustered a mean 8 mpg. Be very happy with that.

as for the dead pedal you might be getting the 2-3 shift flare, as they call it. There is an Oasis report and TSB out for it.... see below :woot:

This article supersedes TSB 10-23-9 to add additional calibration content.

ISSUE:

Some 2011 F-Super Duty vehicles equipped with a 6.7L engine and built on or before 3/14/2011 may exhibit malfunction indicator light (MIL) on with diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's) P0401, P0402, P009A if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached, P164A if idled for extended periods in colder ambient temperatures, 2-3 transmission shift flares, harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up and tip-in events when at low speeds or coming to a stop. Refer to the Calibration Content for additional details.

ACTION:

Follow the Service Procedure to correct the concern

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Reprogram the powertrain control module (PCM) and the transmission control module (TCM) to the latest calibration using IDS release 71.05 and higher or 72.01 and higher. This new calibration is not included in the VCM 2011.3 DVD.

The Calibration Update Contains Improvement Actions And Enhancements:

DTC P0401 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow insufficient detected)

DTC P0402 (exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) flow excessive detected)

DTC P009A (intake air temperature/ambient air temperature correlation) if driven at highway speeds with a snow plow attached

False DTC P164A (O2 sensor positive current trim circuit performance (bank 1, sensor 1)) if idled for extended periods in colder ambient temperature

2-3 transmission shift flares

Harsh/inconsistent transmission shifting during transmission fluid warm up

Improved shift feel for tip-in events when at low speed or coming to a stop

Previously Released Calibration Content

Previously released calibration content included in IDS software release 69.07 and higher contained improvement actions and enhancements to address the following:

Calibration Content Vehicles Built On Or Before 11/5/2010

Delayed manual upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear when in Select Shift mode while going down a grade

Harsh/delayed 1-2 upshift and downshift

Harsh 2-3 upshift on first drive away of day after vehicle soak

DEF warning messages won't reset after refilling DEF tank with Key On Engine Running

Modified vehicles for rail applications, that will not re-engage PTO operation or speedometer inoperative after riding on the tracks with the front wheels off the ground

VSOUT signal inoperable from customer access circuits under dash

DTC P2463 or P246C (DPF restriction) and DTC P2459 (DPF regeneration frequency) - adds increased ability to perform manual regeneration at higher load values when performing system diagnostics

Calibration Content - Vehicles Built On Or Before 08/23/2010

False DTC P132B (turbocharger/supercharger boost control A performance)

False DTC P0299 (turbocharger/supercharger A under-boost condition)

False DTC P050E (cold start engine exhaust temperature too low)

False DTC P06EA (NOX sensor processor performance (bank 1, sensor 1)

DTC P249C (SCR time to closed loop) - improved diagnostics and reporting

DTC P249F (excessive time to enter closed loop DPF regeneration control) - improved diagnostics and reporting

False DTC P0884 (PCM/TCM power input signal intermittent)

DTC(s) and freeze frame data being erased in the PCM when running KOEO, KOER, Datalogger, Active Commands or any other guided diagnostics with IDS

False P0731 (gear 1 incorrect ratio)

False P0732 (gear 2 incorrect ratio)

False P0733 (gear 3 incorrect ratio)

False P0734 (gear 4 incorrect ratio)

False P0735 (gear 5 incorrect ratio)

False P0729 (gear 6 incorrect ratio)

Low speed/load engine surge

Abrupt engine shutdown feel

HP fuel pump knocking noise at idle

Delayed DEF level indication after refill event

Harsh/bumpy transmission upshifts/downshifts

Delayed/harsh transmission engagement feel between R-D and D-R shifts

Transmission gear hunting during speed control operation when climbing grades or climbing hills, particularly while towing

Erratic transmission operation after descending grades while in 1st gear

Flashes/delays of current gear indication when using SelectShift mode

Added Brake Over Accelerator (BOA) feature - reduces engine power during off-idle driving when both the accelerator and brake pedals are applied simultaneously

Added SelectShift memory feature, so SelectShift gear display comes back on whenever going back into drive if the vehicle was turned off while SelectShift mode was still activated

Added engine protection feature from overspeed while descending long grades while towing and in manual gear ranges (forces transmission upshifts at 4000 RPM)

Increased torque - during hill assist operation - (see Owner Guide for additional system operation)

PTO operational enhancements - (applicable to vehicles equipped with optional PTO)

- Automatic secondary electronic idle controller (SEIC) turns on at engine start if the switch in on position

- Engine coolant temperature to operate PTO lowered to -7 °C (+20 °F)

- Improved RPM control with SEIC controllers

WARRANTY STATUS:

Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage And Emissions Warranty Coverage

IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME

110323A 2011 F-Super Duty 6.7L: Check DTCs, Reprogram The PCM And TCM (Do Not Use With Any Other Labor Operations) 0.6 Hr.

I've had mine since early August. I have 15,000 miles on it now, Probably more than half of that with some kind of trailer behind me, I pull a 4h Goosneck around 13,000lbs, a 20' flatbed equipment trailer with a skid loader or Miniexcavator on it, Usually around 10,000lbs. A 14' dump trailer thats' 5,000 empty and with broken concrete or gravel around 14,000lbs.

Towing I'm getting 12 mpg range. Around town lots of short trips chasing, I'm getting 12-13

If I do any hiway driving mixed with city driing, I jump up to 15 mpg

I took a trip from SLC to Jackson Hole (300miles each way) and got 23 mpg going up and 21 mpg comeing home. So hiway mileage has jumped vs my 6.0L

Towing mileage is about what I used to ge with my 6.0L

If you will do most of your driving in town or towing, Don't expect any big changes vs the 7.3L or 6.0L. But it will be better than the 6.4L

But if you can get it into 6th gear and just cruise along at 70mph, It will turn the best mileage of any of the Superduties

It appears that the ecoboost is going to beat the 6.7 on fuel economy while towing 10000 lbs or less, at least from reports that I have been reading. Mike at Pickuptrucks.com just finished a test and he will publish the results next week.

My ecoboost only has 400 miles on it so far so I haven't been able to doing any towing to compare it to my 6.0.

My 6.0 has always been sorry on mpg. Hwy/city combo is about 14.5. All highway at 60 I can get 16.5mpg, at 72 it drops to 15mpg. Towing 6k-9k it gets about 10. Not what I expected when I bought it.

• 7 months later...