Variable-displacement air-conditioning compressor

I don't know the specifics, but I will bet it still ha a clutch.

The variable displacement is probably done by changing the angle of the swash plate.

I've been researching the new A/C system and came across this as well as a good prototype test drive article!

Ufford and company were excited about their fuel-saving variable-displacement AC compressor and how it was performing. Ufford said, "We've had to upsize some components to meet our cooling targets here, and we'll probably use the same hardware in every market." In other words, since the new Explorer's AC blows cold in Dubai, it should do just fine in Dubuque.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/driven/1008_2011_ford_explorer_in_dubai/index.html

This was a shocker about the 4WD to me!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I knew if I kept looking I'd find more information:

"The midsize Explorer gets the automaker's first North American application of a variable-displacement air-conditioning compressor. On the V6 application, the compressor is controlled internally, while the I4's compressor uses external control, according to Frank Fusco, Chief Functional Engineer for Climate Control at Ford.

Denso designed the base compressor and collaborated with Ford engineers on vehicle integration. According to Chris Rainey, Manager of Compressor Engineering, Thermal Group at Denso International America, "The compressor (on the V6) is powered by the engine accessory drive belt, same as the current Explorer, and has an internal valve that adjusts the compressor displacement to match the a/c cooling load requirements and improve fuel efficiency."

In contrast, the externally controlled I4 application "allows the vehicle to 'tell' the compressor how hard to work. This gives Ford engineers much more control of overall power management for fuel economy and a/c control. The external controlled compressor does require significant software and electronics improvements/additions compared to traditional compressors," noted Rainey."

http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/8609/

Still, this is not enough information for me anyway, but now I know the designers and people involved at Ford.

"The compressor (on the V6) is powered by the engine accessory drive belt, same as the current Explorer, and has an internal valve that adjusts the compressor displacement to match the a/c cooling load requirements and improve fuel efficiency."

Besides a variable pitch swash plate the only other way I know to make a variable displacement pump is to use a vane pump with a variable housing. While these work, they tend to have a lot of friction.

Keep digging. I'm interested also !

Besides a variable pitch swash plate the only other way I know to make a variable displacement pump is to use a vane pump with a variable housing. While these work, they tend to have a lot of friction.

Keep digging. I'm interested also !

Maybe between the both of us we can get to the bottom of what Ford is doing here. I've seen no indication of a rear A/C in the 2011 like I have in my '02 Explorer so I have a feeling Ford has a better air distribution system. My 2011 Explorer order has the cooled seats and I'm wondering how that works also. I'm finding more information on this type of compressor:

"The variable displacement compressor has a swash plate that rotates to reciprocate pistons, which compresses refrigerant. The variable displacement compressor change the swash plate angle to change the refrigerant displacement.

The externally controlled type variable displacement compressor changes the swash plate angle in accordance with an electrical signal from an electric control unit."

http://www.globaldensoproducts.com/cc/cacs/c/ecvd_compressor.html

I'm sure this is not one of the two new compressors on the 2011 Explorer but I think I'm getting warm. Here is a resent release from Denso:

"DENSO makes a wide variety of compressors. Each performs the same basic function—but operates slightly differently—in order to meet specific customer needs. Compressor types include fixed-displacement swash-plate, scroll and vane, variable-displacement swash-plate (internally and externally controlled), and electric."

http://densodynamics.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=209:featured-product-compressors

DENSO is also making parts for Fords Direct Injection systems.

"DENSO makes a wide variety of compressors. Each performs the same basic function—but operates slightly differently—in order to meet specific customer needs. Compressor types include fixed-displacement swash-plate, scroll and vane, variable-displacement swash-plate (internally and externally controlled), and electric."

The Gen II Hybrid on the Fusion has an electric A/C compressor.

The Gen II Hybrid on the Fusion has an electric A/C compressor.

That's right and Ford put that same system on the 2010 Escape Hybrid. The problem is the HV batteries are too small to handle running the A/C in City driving and keeping enough charge for EV. Once you sit at a stop in EV, the A/C and 12V system causes to HV battery to drain about 1/10 of a percentage a second. The normal operating range of the battery is 40 - 52%, so when you drop the battery SoC to 40%, the engine starts-up till there is 42% SoC in order to shutdown for EV again. If you like running the A/C in city driving you may find the new FFH and FEH have a hard time with little slow speed EV use. This is why I changed my mind about a 2010 FFH or FEH for my Wife. In addition, I think this is why Ford eliminated the Aux battery A/C in 2010 because it runs the compressor to keep the battery temperature cool to be more efficient and prolonging the life of the battery. The driver can control cabin A/C, but in the '09 FEH and older models you have no control of the Aux battery A/C. My '09 FEH has the older Aux battery A/C and basically the Gen II Hybrid System and it has a Lifetime MPG average of 52.5mpg and growing now with 25,000 miles of mostly city driving. The '09 FEH model may be the most fuel efficient non plug-in FEH ever built.

This is why I'm so interested in the 2011 Explorer with this new A/C compressor. I wanted fuel efficiency and be able to run the A/C at the same time. My wife only gets about 22mpg in my '05 FEH because of E10 and running the A/C year round. Ford changed to a broadband H02 senor in my '09 FEH and it handles our mandatory E10 here much better. The new Explorer 3.5L should have the better senors and even handle E85. If my guess is right, the 2011 Explorer should keep my Wife at 22mpg and we'll have a new Explorer to tow my boat.

• 1 month later...

Peltier device plus a small fan. At least that's how they've done it in previous models.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermoelectric_cooling

This out today:

"Amerigon Incorporated (Nasdaq: ARGN), a leader in developing and marketing products based on advanced thermoelectric (TE) technologies, announced today that its proprietary Climate Control Seat® (CCS®) system has been selected for the all-new 2011 Ford Explorer, a mid-size Sport Utility Vehicle (SUV). The heated and cooled seat system is included in the luxury seating package for the front seats of the Limited model."

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/amerigon-climate-control-seat-ccs-system-selected-as-option-for-all-new-2011-ford-explorer-106506258.html