How long does it take to build?

Just curious... how long does it take to build a given.. say... 2011 Edge? Or maybe I should say "assembled." Now I would assume that an SE might be able to be built assembled in a shorter period of time than a Limited or Sport. And one with Nav or other options would take longer than one without. Let's say (hypothetically) that I have ordered a 2011 Limited with the 301A pkg, Vision pkg and 20" wheels. Once I have a build date from the factory, how long after that date would the vehicle roll off assembly completely finished and ready to go on the train? Just curious... Thanks.

Just curious... how long does it take to build a given.. say... 2011 Edge? Or maybe I should say "assembled." Now I would assume that an SE might be able to be built assembled in a shorter period of time than a Limited or Sport. And one with Nav or other options would take longer than one without. Let's say (hypothetically) that I have ordered a 2011 Limited with the 301A pkg, Vision pkg and 20" wheels. Once I have a build date from the factory, how long after that date would the vehicle roll off assembly completely finished and ready to go on the train? Just curious... Thanks.

All vehicles go through the line at the same rate. Some of the variation comes in the body shop (like sunroof/non sunroof), some might come in the powertrain area, but most of the variation comes in the area of "Trim and Final". This is the most manual area of the plant due in part to its need for flexibility, dexterity, and quality/fit of the components that are most aparent to the customer. The various components are staged at the assemly points in the right sequence. So, for instance, the worker that installs seats, might put a cloth seat on one car and leather on the next car. Some complex items, like instrument panels, are built up in a subassembly area. So the complexity that goes into the IP -- like different radios or nav system -- can be accomodatd off-line and the main line notices very little changes from one IP to another. This helps ensure quality.

The build date can wiggle a bit, but if you have a firm build date, then you can assume your vehicle will be completed very close to that date. It doesn't take days to build a car -- but hours. I've completely lost touch, but I'm thinking in the range of 12-14? It will take some some in inventory before it gets loaded for transport and finally arrives at your dealer -- could be train or truck depending.

All vehicles go through the line at the same rate. Some of the variation comes in the body shop (like sunroof/non sunroof), some might come in the powertrain area, but most of the variation comes in the area of "Trim and Final". This is the most manual area of the plant due in part to its need for flexibility, dexterity, and quality/fit of the components that are most aparent to the customer. The various components are staged at the assemly points in the right sequence. So, for instance, the worker that installs seats, might put a cloth seat on one car and leather on the next car. Some complex items, like instrument panels, are built up in a subassembly area. So the complexity that goes into the IP -- like different radios or nav system -- can be accomodatd off-line and the main line notices very little changes from one IP to another. This helps ensure quality.

The build date can wiggle a bit, but if you have a firm build date, then you can assume your vehicle will be completed very close to that date. It doesn't take days to build a car -- but hours. I've completely lost touch, but I'm thinking in the range of 12-14? It will take some some in inventory before it gets loaded for transport and finally arrives at your dealer -- could be train or truck depending.

Well that's good news. I should have my new Edge rather soon. The build date given to me was Aug 16 - just nine days from today. They are assembled in Oakville and I am in the southern US. I would expect it to be shipped by train, then transported to the dealer by truck. I hope based on your timeline I could have it by the late Aug / early Sep. That's nice to know. When is a delivery date determined? After assembly? While in inventory? After it's loaded for transport?

Thanks for the info.