MPG, 2011, 6.2 gas engine

385HP

I am currently getting 12.2 MPG on my 2011 F-250 with the 6.2 gas engine

it only has 700 miles and 90% is local, short distance driving (no long highway trips)

The MPG isn't listed for any Superduty, but I was told to expect 13 city and 17 highway

when my truck was brand new, it only had 7.8 MPG, so an increase to 12.2 is excellent

To me thats excellent for a heavy truck with a big engine, based on my former 2009 F150 that only got 14.2 MPG

I would love to know what other 2011 6.2 gas engine owners are getting

My on board computer say I'm currently at 12.3 mpg. But, I'm still on my first tank of gas, Around 300 miles. Mostly freeway at 80 MPH.

Thank You for the information, I measue the gas mileage myself and it always comes out the same as the dash gas mileage computer.

Informnation on the new 6.2 gas engine is very rare since everybody is excited talking about the new 6.7 diesel engine, on the Motor Trend blog-web site one 2011 Super Duty 6.7 diesel owner claims 34 MPG, I don't believe that, if I put my truck into nuetral and floated it down a 10 mile hill my MPG would be between 60-90 MPG.

I would love to know what other 2011 6.2 gas engine owners are getting

OK Dudes, here's the 411 on what I have seen so far on my machine. First, I took delivery of my 2011 F-250 SD on 18 June. It is in Lariat Super Cab FX4 trim, 6.2 gasser, 4.30 gears in the rear end. This is my 5th "truck", first Super Duty. All numbers are from actual miles driven and fuel uploaded. I always fill, refilling after passing the 1/4 point on the fuel gauge with 87 octane Shell gasoline. I have refueled the machine 4 times so far. I use the machine mostly local, have towed a 3,600 pound boat twice, (175 total towing miles :shift: ), towing only after the first 1,000 miles.

To Date: 1,632.9 miles on the clock

1st tank of fuel:

engine clock: 12:54:00

miles: 354.4

average speed: 27.47 m.p.h.

fuel milage: 12.51 m.p.g.

2nd tank of fuel:

engine clock: 13:08:50

miles: 348.2

average speed: 26.48 m.p.h.

fuel milage: 12.23 m.p.g.

3rd tank of fuel:

engine clock: 10:19:10

miles: 282.3

average speed: 27.35 m.p.h.

fuel milage: 12.16 m.p.g.

4th tank of fuel:

engine clock: 10:18:50

miles: 284.7

average speed: 27.59 m.p.h.

fuel milage: 12.39 m.p.g.

The numbers are derived from a spreadsheet I keep, my the trip computer looks pretty accurate, calling out 12.2 -12.5 miles per gallon. What final drive do you guys have in your machines? :shades: I have attached a photo of my machine below.

kens_F-250_4.jpg

OK Dudes, here's the 411 on what I have seen so far on my machine. First, I took delivery of my 2011 F-250 SD on 18 June. It is in Lariat Super Cab FX4 trim, 6.2 gasser, 4.30 gears in the rear end. This is my 5th "truck", first Super Duty. All numbers are from actual miles driven and fuel uploaded. I always fill, refilling after passing the 1/4 point on the fuel gauge with 87 octane Shell gasoline. I have refueled the machine 4 times so far. I use the machine mostly local, have towed a 3,600 pound boat twice, (175 total towing miles :shift: ), towing only after the first 1,000 miles.

To Date: 1,632.9 miles on the clock

1st tank of fuel:

engine clock: 12:54:00

miles: 354.4

average speed: 27.47 m.p.h.

fuel milage: 12.51 m.p.g.

2nd tank of fuel:

engine clock: 13:08:50

miles: 348.2

average speed: 26.48 m.p.h.

fuel milage: 12.23 m.p.g.

3rd tank of fuel:

engine clock: 10:19:10

miles: 282.3

average speed: 27.35 m.p.h.

fuel milage: 12.16 m.p.g.

4th tank of fuel:

engine clock: 10:18:50

miles: 284.7

average speed: 27.59 m.p.h.

fuel milage: 12.39 m.p.g.

The numbers are derived from a spreadsheet I keep, my the trip computer looks pretty accurate, calling out 12.2 -12.5 miles per gallon. What final drive do you guys have in your machines? :shades: I have attached a photo of my machine below.

kens_F-250_4.jpg

Nix, why the 4:30 gearing? You do a lot of slow pulling like in the logging or mud? That 12 mpg is good for those gears and that avg mph.

Nix, why the 4:30 gearing? You do a lot of slow pulling like in the logging or mud? That 12 mpg is good for those gears and that avg mph.

When I ordered the truck I went with the 4.30's instead of the 3.73's because by my calculations, on the type of driving I would be using the machine for that the fuel mileage would not be that much different than with the 3.73's and the towing would be better. I do not drive for hours on limited access highways at a steady cruise speed. In that case the 3.73's would show there merit.

The average speed calculation comes from the engine run clock and the miles driven between fueling. I do not let the engine idle anymore than necessary and get underway within 30 -60 seconds from start up. I drive in a consistent manner and do not zoom away from stop lights, as I see my share of them. Besides, only a fool would drive like a cowboy in a 6,000+ curb weight machine.The average speed is an interesting number because it shows just how slow actual point to point driving in a non-limited access road environment is.

So far I am very impressed with the new 6.2 engine, it's very smooth and powerful. I don't think that the guys with the 3.73 final drive are doing much better with their average fuel mileage. I would like to here from 385HP and rottekatz as to their trucks setup.

I have the same truck as nix_ besser Lariat with the FX4 trim, except I have the crew cab and the 3.73 rears, and I am getting the same gas mileage 12.2 I figure its going to take at least 2500 miles before its broken in, before the gas mileage improves, and I plan on using Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube in the front and rear axles, especically in winter the synthetic gear lube doesn't get thick when it gets cold, and that makes a BIG difference, and planning on using a full synethic engine oil after I know the engine is broken in, ( NEVER switch to synthetic before the engine is fully broken in)

also planning on using synthetic grease and packing the front hubs.

I have the same truck as nix_ besser Lariat with the FX4 trim, except I have the crew cab and the 3.73 rears, and I am getting the same gas mileage 12.2 I figure its going to take at least 2500 miles before its broken in, before the gas mileage improves, and I plan on using Amsoil Synthetic Gear Lube in the front and rear axles, especically in winter the synthetic gear lube doesn't get thick when it gets cold, and that makes a BIG difference, and planning on using a full synethic engine oil after I know the engine is broken in, ( NEVER switch to synthetic before the engine is fully broken in)

also planning on using synthetic grease and packing the front hubs.

Not trying to be a know-it-all, but I am wondering why you would consider using synthetic lube in the front diffential as it is out of the equasion except when operating in four-wheel drive? I'm guessing that Ford must already have considered it and specified a petroleum-based lube as it is only functional part-time. The rear axles are already factory-filled with synthetic lube, and the hub bearings are sealed and lifetime lubed so no way to service them except perhaps (re)greasing the needle bearings in the outer hub (which involves replacing the pricey yellow teflon O-rings and outer hub O-rings).

Not trying to be a know-it-all, but I am wondering why you would consider using synthetic lube in the front diffential as it is out of the equasion except when operating in four-wheel drive? I'm guessing that Ford must already have considered it and specified a petroleum-based lube as it is only functional part-time. The rear axles are already factory-filled with synthetic lube, and the hub bearings are sealed and lifetime lubed so no way to service them except perhaps (re)greasing the needle bearings in the outer hub (which involves replacing the pricey yellow teflon O-rings and outer hub O-rings).

Past Experience. Cold weather, winter driving, full synthetic gear oil makes a "BIG" difference, to me the best advantage about synthethic oil is its not effected by cold, it stays the same thickness at 200 degress as -40 degrees. The way I drive in the winter is I always keep my hubs locked and switch the transfer case in and out of 4x4.

Long ago I used to own a 1978 F150 4x4 manual with a 300-6, and when I switched to 4 wheel drive it cut the trucks power in half, but as soon as a I switched to a full synthetic front axle lube, it made a night and day difference, no power loss in 4x4.

Front hubs: I plan on using Amsoil Synthetic Grease, this grease will NOT melt and turn into a liquid when hot, will NOT absore water, and will not turn into Play-Dough when cold.

Amsoil Products claim "0" Wear on almost all of their lube products, so its very important not to switch to their lubes till after normal break-in, because if you switch to Amsoil too soon the diff gears will be too tight and will always stay too tight with "0" wear, thus effecting gas mileage.

In my opnion is change the front and rear axle lube only once for the life of the truck, but its more important to change it at the right time and the right mileage where you know its totally broken in, drainning the metal filings thats normal, so when you change it you also drain out the metal, and its done cutting metal from the gears and you end up with clean lube with "0" wear for the life of the truck.

I plan on running my 2011 Super Duty hard in extreme winter conditions, towing and plowing, (towing a skid loader and pushing a plow) making $2500 a day isn't bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in my third week of driving my new King Ranch Super Duty with the 6.2 liter engine, 3.73 ratio. Best mileage I have seen so far is one tank at 13.3 mpg - this is primarily city driving - no long trips and no towing. Hopefully this will go up as the miles increase. Previous truck was F150 King Ranch and the day in, day out mileage was near 15 mpg, regardless of city or highway driving.

• 2 weeks later...

I am in my third week of driving my new King Ranch Super Duty with the 6.2 liter engine, 3.73 ratio. Best mileage I have seen so far is one tank at 13.3 mpg - this is primarily city driving - no long trips and no towing. Hopefully this will go up as the miles increase. Previous truck was F150 King Ranch and the day in, day out mileage was near 15 mpg, regardless of city or highway driving.

Dude, be very happy with that mileage. You will never get 15mpg from the SD. Your talking a 7,500lb truck and a 6.2L gasser moving it. The F-150's get away with it because they are way lighter and have a slight aerodynamic advantage (less mass and body size). The V-10's prior to the 6.2L would be awesome at 10mpg.

• 4 weeks later...

3.73 gearing. Figured that with a 6 speed transmission the main difference the gearing would make is in 1st and 6th. Don't really see the need for the ultra low end. The first 1K miles, mostly highway I averaged 12.6MPG.

The 2d 1K miles towing an 8K lb travel trailer from California to Denver I averaged 7.6 MPG.

On the return from Denver with the 8K lb trailer and 600lb in the bed I averaged 7.2 MPG. Don't know exact reason for reduced MPG; could be that about 2 miles from home wife noticed funny noise that the dealer's service writer said is a disintegrated lifter which also damaged the cam.