Upcoming Ford Coupe Shown in CBS Special

First off, I'm getting these images from GMI, originally posted by Simon Says.

He posted this series of renderings tonight which were shown in a CBS News piece on Ford a few months back:

Ford2.png

Ford3.png

He was looking for speculation about the 2013 Fusion.

Our old friend Wescoent replied with this little gem:

[the renderings are of] a nuclear bomb going to be dropped on the Corvette.

That is all.

Edited by PREMiERdrum

Hmmm - I remember seeing these a while back, but I guess you said they're from a couple months ago.

I think the grille's too small and headlights too big in that first picture, and I don't like the taillights.

Looks Interceptor-inspired.

Hmmm - I remember seeing these a while back, but I guess you said they're from a couple months ago.

I think the grille's too small and headlights too big in that first picture, and I don't like the taillights.

Looks Interceptor-inspired.

I'm waiting on more hints from him over there.... but my guess is that this is the GRWD-based Thunderbird.

Good grief, I certainly hope it looks nothing like those renders. It somehow manages to look under and over-styled at the same time.

However, my interest is piqued.

I'm less excited with the execution (in the sketch) and MUCH more interested in the idea.

My guess? GRWD... EcoBoost... Hooning ensues.

What about the Fusion? :shades:

Eh, I've not seen a catchy more weapon-oriented word thrown in front of that yet.

A halo car should carry the Thunderbird name. Fusion is for the mass market.

He's talking about my weapon names comment - the Laser Focus and Nuclear Tbird.

I believe all are early design sketches of proposed front for 2011 Taurus to be expanded

across the range, the one on the OP was drawn with a coupe body to try and get it through.

Thank goodness they settled on the current front.

Edited by jpd80

Look at the first drawings of the 2005 Mustang and the new Taurus. They looked goofy too, but evolved into very nice cars. The odds of this car looking completely like that are very slim.

That car is an early design study for the current Taurus circa 2007. If it looks new to you, it should. Any design language you see in the showrooms today was effectively conceptualized a minimum of 2 years ago. Most concepts are effectively 4 years old by the time they hit showrooms. As crazy as it sounds, the next generation Mustang's styling is nearly finished. Any major changes between now and 2015 are purely functional. Edited by Versa-Tech

Given that the T-bird was never intended as a Corvette competitor (other than maybe the '55-'57), I'm not seeing how any T-bird would drop a bomb on it.

That said, if there really is a Corvette-killer on the way, I can't imagine what it would be based on. To be a proper competitor it seems to me it must be V8, 2-door, and rear-wheel-drive, and nothing that Ford has either now or on the horizon fits that description, except the Mustang. So unless it's a GT500 (or some other Mustang-based vehicle), it seems too fantastic to believe.

And for Richard and Pioneer.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPWaQKuqENU&feature=player_embedded

Edited by RangerM

That car is an early design study for the current Taurus circa 2007. If it looks new to you, it should. Any design language you see in the showrooms today was effectively conceptualized a minimum of 2 years ago. Most concepts are effectively 4 years old by the time they hit showrooms. As crazy as it sounds, the next generation Mustang's styling is nearly finished. Any major changes between now and 2015 are purely functional.

This is what I assumed as well, and the images were discussed here and elsewhere when the piece first aired. At least one insider is now saying that isn't the case.

And I just now realized I posted one of the wrong images. Here's what our old friend says these are:

This, although mistakenly posted by me as part of the RWD coupe, was a concept for the 2010 Taurus:

taurus.png

This, according to Wescoent, is a styling exercise for the 2013 Fusion:

Fusion.png

THESE are the images of the RWD Coupe that "will drop a nuclear bomb on Corvette"

Ford2.png

Ford3.png

I apologize for the confusion. I'll edit the first post to include the proper images.

That First image is fNA copying Falcon, it would work on a Falcon (next Generation)

but I think the taste of Taurus' US audience is different and the final front was better suited.

Fusion.png

XR8_1b_700.jpg

Edited by jpd80