Anyone read a good book lately?

I'm looking for some ideas for my next book to read. I haven't read a book in a while, but I used to read fairly regularly. In the past I would read John Grisham novels, I also liked Michael Crichton, and I've read some Dan Brown. I've been curious about Tom Clancy novels, but have never read one. Are they a good read? If so, which one is a good first introduction to Clancy? Or any other suggestions for a good "guy" book.

I'm looking for some ideas for my next book to read. I haven't read a book in a while, but I used to read fairly regularly. In the past I would read John Grisham novels, I also liked Michael Crichton, and I've read some Dan Brown. I've been curious about Tom Clancy novels, but have never read one. Are they a good read? If so, which one is a good first introduction to Clancy? Or any other suggestions for a good "guy" book.

If you liked Grisham, you might enjoy James Patterson's Alex Cross series, Along Came a Spider is the first of 15 Cross stories. Like Grisham, the stories move fast and the books are hard to put down.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Too bad most of Clancy's best Books where done 25 years ago (boy that long ago already? LOL) But my Favorite novel by him was Red Storm Rising, which he co-authored with Larry Bond, which basically explains how a non-nuclear WW3 would go down in the mid to late 1980's. It doesn't fit in with the rest of his series with Jack Ryan though...and I can't even remember the last Clancy book thats come out by him.

If you liked Grisham, you might enjoy James Patterson's Alex Cross series, Along Came a Spider is the first of 15 Cross stories. Like Grisham, the stories move fast and the books are hard to put down.

Bill O'reilly's "Bold Fresh" was fun and insightful.

Great story.

Try the Flashman series by George Macdonald Fraser?

No. What's it about?

EDIT: Just looked it up. Sounds interesting. I've read a few of the Sharpe novels by Bernard Cornwell as well as the O'Brian Aubrey/Maturin series.

Edited by TomServo92

Or any other suggestions for a good "guy" book.

From someone who has always had a spirit of adventure, but is also inclined toward "guy" books, the following are must-reads, and are, for the most part, non-fiction:

On the Road by Jack Kerouac: Chicks will never understand why this is such a great book, but guys do. If you're young enough, it's guaranteed to shape your perspective about life -- in a positive way.

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas by Hunter S. Thompson: Do NOT attempt to replicate the events described in this book, however fun and funny they may seem.

Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer: An absolutely terrifying and slickly written first-hand account of the 1996 disaster on Mount Everest. Put this book down at your peril: When you go to sleep, you will have horrific nightmares involving people (maybe you) being lost in the dark near the summit of Everest when there's no oxygen to breathe and it's 40 below zero and the jet stream is blasting wind at you "like a firehose."

Fun stuff!

I like to read books on quantum physics. It is a way to break out of the regulated world and look at it objectively from the outside. The mental exercise of wrapping your brain around concepts of time dialation, higher dimensions, and gravitational concept, makes the everyday world of politics seem mundane. When you return to "earth", and look around, using your newly acquired blind logic, it is easy to see all of the flaws, and where it is heading. Blind logic is logic without predjudice. This is what scientists have to have. The quantum world is not something that you can see, or for most people, even visualize. You have to depend totally on logic. When you return to this world, where you can actually see what is going on, it is much simpler. We are headed for disaster.

Edited by Trimdingman

Bill O'reilly's "Bold Fresh" was fun and insightful.

Read his novel "Those who Trespass" That's a good, suspensful who-done-it novel.

Also, considering the state of the economy the past couple of years. I also recommend another out of print book (maybe it's back in print who knows)

"The creature from Jekyll Island" by G. Edward Griffin. A truthful look at how the Federal Reserve was created and how it really operates. An eye-opener indeed.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 years later...

This book Killed to Death is set in the old Wixom plant and in Hamtramck, and like the description says, the language is pretty bad (too much for me). But interesting to see a book about a welder on the KD line.

https://www.amazon.com/Killed-Death-Detroit-Assembly-Murder/dp/1517763304/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1511187702&sr=8-1&keywords=killed+to+death%2C+detroit