6.2 Raptor Road Test

I'm not too impressed with the acceleration times, though the Raptor isn't exactly optimized for that sort of thing.

I'm not too impressed with a Corvette's ground clearance and ability to jump sand dunes........though it isn't exactly optimized for that sort of thing.

• Like 2

I'm not too impressed with a Corvette's ground clearance and ability to jump sand dunes........though it isn't exactly optimized for that sort of thing.

I meant relative to other trucks. A 2009 Dodge Ram will run similar times to the Raptor with one less gear, 21 less hp, and 27lb-ft less torque. I'm sure a Corvette's ability to jump a sand dune is very competitive with that of a 911.

I meant relative to other trucks. A 2009 Dodge Ram will run similar times to the Raptor with one less gear, 21 less hp, and 27lb-ft less torque. I'm sure a Corvette's ability to jump a sand dune is very competitive with that of a 911.

How much does that Ram weigh compared to the Raptor?

What kind of berms can you HIT at 80mph in the Ram?

It's the same argument the Mopar dopes use when saying the Power Wagon is better. At crawling around on rocks, Yes. Bombing around in the Great Wide Open, No.

I'm sure the 35 inch tires are killing it. Those tires each weigh probably 20lbs more than regular size tires. From what I have read, every 10 lbs of rotational weight effects acceleration the same as adding 100lbs of curb weight. So the Raptors 80lbs of additional tire weight is like adding 800lbs to the bed. Also, the increased height of the tires negates any advantage it gains from the 4.10 gears.

Also, some Ram owners found that the big chrome 20" wheels that came on some Rams were so heavy that they cost them almost a full second in a 1/4 mile drag race.

We just need to find a Raptor owner willing to put some 28" tires on his truck to get a better idea of how it will perform. :hysterical: I suspect the 6.2 Super Duties (with much lighter tires) will be just about as fast as the Raptor.

HP really isn't what the Raptor is all about, but obviously, people are looking at it. Hopefully, Ford will release a FX2 (or something) that will be a better showpiece for the new engine.

Edited by jpvbs

I'm sure the 35 inch tires are killing it. Those tires each weigh probably 20lbs more than regular size tires. From what I have read, every 10 lbs of rotational weight effects acceleration the same as adding 100lbs of curb weight. So the Raptors 80lbs of additional tire weight is like adding 800lbs to the bed. Also, the increased height of the tires negates any advantage it gains from the 4.10 gears.

Also, some Ram owners found that the big chrome 20" wheels that came on some Rams were so heavy that they cost them almost a full second in a 1/4 mile drag race.

We just need to find a Raptor owner willing to put some 28" tires on his truck to get a better idea of how it will perform. :hysterical: I suspect the 6.2 Super Duties (with much lighter tires) will be just about as fast as the Raptor.

HP really isn't what the Raptor is all about, but obviously, people are looking at it. Hopefully, Ford will release a FX2 (or something) that will be a better showpiece for the new engine.

I say we strap 4 mini spares on the beast and run the numbers again.......

I meant relative to other trucks. A 2009 Dodge Ram will run similar times to the Raptor with one less gear, 21 less hp, and 27lb-ft less torque. .

Could Ford be understating the Raptor's power levels?

What better way to show up the competition than with reverse psychology,

it gives them nowhere to go in a power war..........

My local dealer has a 6.2L Raptor also.

I'm sure it won't last long.

As for the acceleration, aggressive, large off-road tires have HUGE rolling resistance. Drive any truck with standard rubber, and one with big off-road tires. You will feel like you just hooked a trailer on the back of the one with the big tires. You have to not only overcome the rolling resistance, but the raising of the effective gear ratio doesn't help either.

I would guess that 4.10's on that truck, with those tires, would be equivelant to 3.55's on a truck with 18's and normal rubber.

BTW, this info comes from someone who has done an extreme amount of off-roading, and off-road modifications. To overcome the 33's that I ran on my Explorer, I had to go from 3.73 gears, to 4.56's.

Edited by Extreme4x4

the raptor is so succesful dealers in arizona and tejas are nagging the living hell outa ford for more trucks..what truly amazes me is the hillbilllies in tennessee are also buying the truck...and a few other mid south states...four wheeler mag is quoting fields as being mum on the issues which usually means wait till fall..but expect a 4 door version of the raptor...i have only seen 1 in st louis..thats been it...far as power..who cares as all of em lie anyhow and HP #'s in a truck are about stupid anyhow...if ford is lieing i suspect its on the torque numbers...but wadda i know..any raptor pulling a fifth wheel out there sure seems like a waste for what the truck was intended for.....anyhow...i bet my 1974 hodaka dirt squirt could beat em all in the sand jumping contest...especially a corvette..seriously who cares...only thing ford mucked up in my estimation was putting in that POS 5.4L..but i would be wrong though..damn truck is a hot seller...even fields said they had no idea so many units would move in such short a time (over 5k???) i think i read...most preferred color so far--black

Motortrend's test: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/trucks/1008_2011_ford_f150_svt_raptor_6_2_drive/index.html

They really liked the 6.2L, they said it is well worth the extra cash. However, I did notice that they said it required premium fuel, is that an error or truth? I was under the impression that it made published power numbers on 87 octane.

Just found out that the 6.2 makes 411 hp with PUG and 401 hp with RUG. Torque remains the same with either octane.

Payload numbers on half ton trucks are all bloated anyways.

Your saying they're all BS? I find they can all handle much much more than the sticker indicates.

Here's my point, a 2009 F150 SCrew Platinum had a actual payload stcker that could read as low as @ 760 lbs. (loaded Platinum 4wd) Now you drop in an engine that weighs an extra 150lbs and your @ 500 lbs of payload. Avg weight of american male is 189.2 lbs. I believe payload includes 150 lb driver. So with driver & 3 passengers all avg males, you are now @ 100 lbs over your payload rating. Never mind all the other lbs from the accessories you added. Ford did adjust is somewhat for 2010 on some models.

So if you think the payload #s are bloated, I disagree.

However if your saying the max towing ratings are bloated, your 100% right. Not that they can't pull it, its just your SO far over GVWR, and GAWR even with minimal tounge weight. Tow ratings are a farce.

I'd like to know how much lighter the EB is vs. the 6.2L.

Edited by PWR Kid

Yeah, my mistake. I imagine the 3.5L EB, even with a pair of turbos, is much lighter than a 6.2L. Fully dressed, it probably weighs about as much as an Aluminum block DOHC V8 like the 5.0L, which is probably about 100lb lighter than a 5.4L Triton. If my assumptions are correct, then that would put the EcoBoost at a whopping 250lb lighter than a 6.2L. In an F150, you'd probably notice a 250lb difference. In an SD, probably not.

My local dealer has a 6.2L Raptor on the lot now. They also ave a handful of 2011 SDs. Does anybody know when the 2011 Mustangs and Fiestas should be there?

From my understanding, 2011 Mustang V6's just started shipping. There's a hold on the GT's right now for some reason. The Fiesta has just started production, so it should start shipping before the end of May I would assume.

My local dealer has a 6.2L Raptor also.

I'm sure it won't last long.

As for the acceleration, aggressive, large off-road tires have HUGE rolling resistance. Drive any truck with standard rubber, and one with big off-road tires. You will feel like you just hooked a trailer on the back of the one with the big tires. You have to not only overcome the rolling resistance, but the raising of the effective gear ratio doesn't help either.

I would guess that 4.10's on that truck, with those tires, would be equivelant to 3.55's on a truck with 18's and normal rubber.

BTW, this info comes from someone who has done an extreme amount of off-roading, and off-road modifications. To overcome the 33's that I ran on my Explorer, I had to go from 3.73 gears, to 4.56's.

I would imagine all of the suspension travel in the Raptor certainly does nothing to help its weight transfer on a hard launch either.

I would imagine all of the suspension travel in the Raptor certainly does nothing to help its weight transfer on a hard launch either.

Quite the contrary, the suspension travel probably allows the rear end to squat more and the front end to lift more. However, I do agree that the 35 inch BFG A/T's are probably a big contributor. To my knowledge, the 5.4L Raptor is about a second slower to sixty than a 5.4L 4X4 F150. If that holds true for the 6.2L version, then it is pretty competitive with the class leaders in acceleration.