2010 Fusion Transmission Issues?

mettech

My 2010 Milan V6 AWD with 13K on it has this issue as well. My local dealer has the car for about a week and the trans tech came back with a bad valve body and a few other parts as well. What those few other parts are in the tranny, I do not know but will find out when I pick the car up on Thursday.

Yes, I got the re-flash notice back in March and no, it didn't make any difference. My symptoms were as follows:

1,2,3,4 gear changes were slow while in Auto Mode but if I put it in to Manual Mode it shifted just fine.

Drive -Reverse & Reverses to Drive "No Load Condition"

Now, I am a big FoMoCo fan and I would never dream of buying anything that isn't wearing the Blue Oval or Lincoln star but this is the fourth Ford product I have had in the last 10 years that has had a valve body/ Torque Converter go with very little mileage . No I don't abuse my cars and if anything they are over-maintained (even the Milan which is on a lease)

To Alan and the other Execs: After 107 years of building cars and trucks, can't you guys build an auto trans that can go longer than 27K without a rebuild?

Fit and Finish and build quality only goes so far but when the trans goes you ain't moving. It doesn't look good for my wife either who was an imports only person, and after seeing the Milan, she wanted to check out a new Edge to replace her Honda CRV but after this has happened now she will think twice about it.

I am a Ford/Lincoln guy for life, so this company does not need to win me over but it needs to win over people like my wife, and this type of breakdown at this mileage does not score points.

Thank You.

Welcome to my world.:wub:

To Alan and the other Execs: After 107 years of building cars and trucks, can't you guys build an auto trans that can go longer than 27K without a rebuild?

That is a most appropriate question, carforford. The Aisin AW TF-80 6-speed transmission Ford formerly used on 3.0L V6 Fusions and Milans (and is currently paired with the 3.5L engine on the Fusion SPORT and MKZ) had no such problems (that were widespread, anyway). Why couldn't Ford just have continued using that transmission?

That is a most appropriate question, carforford. The Aisin AW TF-80 6-speed transmission Ford formerly used on 3.0L V6 Fusions and Milans (and is currently paired with the 3.5L engine on the Fusion SPORT and MKZ) had no such problems (that were widespread, anyway). Why couldn't Ford just have continued using that transmission?

Still have not got the car back yet.... :banghead:

In other news they are also checking out my brakes because the front calipers seem like they are clicking during low speed (parking lot) maneuvers. Well, at least it is under warranty....

Still have not got the car back yet.... :banghead:

In other news they are also checking out my brakes because the front calipers seem like they are clicking during low speed (parking lot) maneuvers. Well, at least it is under warranty....

Still have no idea when I am getting the car back. Dealer called yesterday and said they are having a hard time getting a new valve body. There must be a whole bunch of Fusion/Milans with this trouble.

AttN Ford: This is REALLY UNACCEPTABLE for a vehicle with 13K on it. 8 days out of service!!! Not good, not scoring points with family friend and neighbors....

Escapes and Mariners with the 6F35 transmission are affected, as well.

15 Days and counting.....Still in the shop. Dealer said that transmission work is all done so now they are going to check out the brakes for the clicking noise.....I am NOT happy.

They say if all goes well, I should be able to get it on Monday...Hope so.

This car has 21 months left on the lease and I only hope it goes quick....This is one car I am looking forward to returning on that day..More updates soon.

• Like 1

Well, finally got the car back after being in the shop for 15 days...Trans shifts better and vehicle is a lot quicker than it ever was brand new.... Note to Ford Management: I am very happy that Fusion and Milan has The highest quality of any Ford vehicle out there. Great, wonderful.... However I am more concerned about having a vehicle where the trans shift correctly than the tolerances of how the dash lines up with the a-pilars.

As someone who has had 4 of the last 6 Ford Products with bad valve-bodies on different carlines from Ford with very low mileage., I find this to be completely inexcusable in a vehicle known for quality and at this low milage. I don't need performance algorithm shifting in this vehicle but rather a vehicle that shifts when it is placed in drive.

This is a wide spread issue, based on what I have seen at my dealer and online.....An issue that FoMoCo needs to fix and fast!

• Like 1

Well, finally got the car back after being in the shop for 15 days...Trans shifts better and vehicle is a lot quicker than it ever was brand new.... Note to Ford Management: I am very happy that Fusion and Milan has The highest quality of any Ford vehicle out there. Great, wonderful.... However I am more concerned about having a vehicle where the trans shift correctly than the tolerances of how the dash lines up with the a-pilars.

As someone who has had 4 of the last 6 Ford Products with bad valve-bodies on different carlines from Ford with very low mileage., I find this to be completely inexcusable in a vehicle known for quality and at this low milage. I don't need performance algorithm shifting in this vehicle but rather a vehicle that shifts when it is placed in drive.

This is a wide spread issue, based on what I have seen at my dealer and online.....An issue that FoMoCo needs to fix and fast!

Vehicle on it's way back to dealer tomorrow morning. Reverse Sensing System is inoperative.....but hey, at least the trim lines up!!!

• 3 months later...

My V6 AWD Milan now has 16,900 Miles on it. The valve body was done at 12k. Over the last two weeks I have had an intermittent condition where when the car is started cold and warmed up (Sometimes 30 seconds - Sometimes 10 minutes), I back out of my parking space and then put the car into Drive and I get a delayed engagement followed by a bump when it does go in. It so far only happens on a cold start, can some one tell me what this is?

I am going to take it in next week...

• 1 month later...

My V6 AWD Milan now has 16,900 Miles on it. The valve body was done at 12k. Over the last two weeks I have had an intermittent condition where when the car is started cold and warmed up (Sometimes 30 seconds - Sometimes 10 minutes), I back out of my parking space and then put the car into Drive and I get a delayed engagement followed by a bump when it does go in. It so far only happens on a cold start, can some one tell me what this is?

I am going to take it in next week...

Carforford,

Just wondering how your issue went?

I have a 2010 V6 Fusion SEL which is having the valve body replaced at 11k. I should get it back from the dealer tomorrow. I was having harsh 1->2 & 2->3 shifts when cold and sporadically when warm.

Thanks

Carforford,

Just wondering how your issue went?

I have a 2010 V6 Fusion SEL which is having the valve body replaced at 11k. I should get it back from the dealer tomorrow. I was having harsh 1->2 & 2->3 shifts when cold and sporadically when warm.

Thanks

Well, Let's See...Took it back in a few weeks ago, dealer said they could not get the condition to present itself that I have experience and that to bring it back in when it did occur. The issues are still there only intermittent but the dealer cannot duplicate. The revised valve body assembly is still a problem and will continue to be until the lease is up and my license plates come off. The vehicle now has 18,600 miles and I have resigned myself to the fact that the Blue Oval cannot build a trans to shift properly. After having multiple different Ford Products that have had issues with a valve body, I can accept that. What I cannot accept is this problem at these purchase prices.

The next vehicle may be a Mustang but with harsh winter weather and no AWD available, this may not be so good. I may get an MKS ECO Boost like my dad has but who knows if Lincoln will go the way of Mercury (and yes, it IS possible), maybe it is time for a (Dare I Say) Import!? Have 17 months to decide.....

BTW, the dealer also did the PCM Reflash again after the revised valve body was installed and it did not matter.

• Like 1

Well, Let's See...Took it back in a few weeks ago, dealer said they could not get the condition to present itself that I have experience and that to bring it back in when it did occur. The issues are still there only intermittent but the dealer cannot duplicate. The revised valve body assembly is still a problem and will continue to be until the lease is up and my license plates come off. The vehicle now has 18,600 miles and I have resigned myself to the fact that the Blue Oval cannot build a trans to shift properly. After having multiple different Ford Products that have had issues with a valve body, I can accept that. What I cannot accept is this problem at these purchase prices.

The next vehicle may be a Mustang but with harsh winter weather and no AWD available, this may not be so good. I may get an MKS ECO Boost like my dad has but who knows if Lincoln will go the way of Mercury (and yes, it IS possible), maybe it is time for a (Dare I Say) Import!? Have 17 months to decide.....

BTW, the dealer also did the PCM Reflash again after the revised valve body was installed and it did not matter.

Well....I'm sorry to hear that.

I just got my Fusion back after they basically followed the 10B15 repair steps. Initially, it was just going to be the valve body but after checking the fluid and additional diags they removed the transmission, opened it up and inspected. They found some of the clutches "heated" and worn. So they used the repair kit to replace the clutches, seals, gaskets. They also replaced the valve body. Applied the latest TSBs, PCM reflashes.

It seems smooth for now but it's only been a few days. Time will tell.

I was hoping you'd had a better outcome.

Good luck with things.

Well....I'm sorry to hear that.

I just got my Fusion back after they basically followed the 10B15 repair steps. Initially, it was just going to be the valve body but after checking the fluid and additional diags they removed the transmission, opened it up and inspected. They found some of the clutches "heated" and worn. So they used the repair kit to replace the clutches, seals, gaskets. They also replaced the valve body. Applied the latest TSBs, PCM reflashes.

It seems smooth for now but it's only been a few days. Time will tell.

I was hoping you'd had a better outcome.

Good luck with things.

You should be OK after the fix. We have a '10 Fusion that had the transmission issue, and after they replaced it we haven't had an issue since. I believe we had the replacement done around March/April 2010 (got the car August '09), and it's been running smooth since then.

You should be OK after the fix. We have a '10 Fusion that had the transmission issue, and after they replaced it we haven't had an issue since. I believe we had the replacement done around March/April 2010 (got the car August '09), and it's been running smooth since then.

Thanks NCSWolfpak,

Did they completely replace your transmission?

Thanks

Not the whole transmission....I'll see if I can dig up the paperwork to see what exactly they replaced.

On a side note, they mentioned they were supposed to send us a recall notice for it, but we never got it (their excuse was because 'we already got it fixed'), did anyone else get one of those?

Found the paperwork....according to that:

Description: Recall 10B15, reprogram PCM, replace clutches, seals, and filter.

The line items:

Reprogram PCM

C Control ASY - Transmission

G Kit - Gasket

Sealant - Silicone

QLVC Oil - Automatic Transmission

Thanks,

That's what they did to mine also. Don't remember anything specific regarding the filter but maybe it was included in the repair kit.

Thanks again.

Mettech,

I have a 2011 fusion with 1500 miles, and I'm already starting to have transmission problems. I almost got killed pulling out of my development the other day. I pulled out into traffic after the car sat for two days. I pressed the accelerator about halfway and the car revved to almost redline and no acceleration the car finally jolted into gear before I almost got rearended. I brought the car to the dealer and left it overnight they couldn't duplicate, they said the transmission has no codes that say anything is wrong the service advisor said I would have to take the technician for a ride and he would have to experience this to diagnose the problem. There is already a law firm that is starting a thorough investigation of these dangerous and defective transmissions. If you go to Automobile magazine website go to forums and you will see the info an attorney has his contact info. I'm going to wait till I have another problem with the transmission before I contact them, hopefully I won't get injured or killed in the vehicle before that.

Mettech,

I have a 2011 fusion with 1500 miles, and I'm already starting to have transmission problems. I almost got killed pulling out of my development the other day. I pulled out into traffic after the car sat for two days. I pressed the accelerator about halfway and the car revved to almost redline and no acceleration the car finally jolted into gear before I almost got rearended. I brought the car to the dealer and left it overnight they couldn't duplicate, they said the transmission has no codes that say anything is wrong the service advisor said I would have to take the technician for a ride and he would have to experience this to diagnose the problem. There is already a law firm that is starting a thorough investigation of these dangerous and defective transmissions. If you go to Automobile magazine website go to forums and you will see the info an attorney has his contact info. I'm going to wait till I have another problem with the transmission before I contact them, hopefully I won't get injured or killed in the vehicle before that.

Thanks for the info... My 2010 had the same issue and that's why I traded it in.

Keep us posted on the details.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...

Interesting, my '10 Fusion just rolled over 32k miles on it with no transmission issues. The only time I had an issue with the transmission was I had one very violent downshift with a clunk at wbout 5,000 miles but nothing but smooth sailing after that.

• 2 months later...

I just experienced the same problems with my, purchased from brand new, 2010 Fusion. I have taken it in for service at the dealership where I purchased it. They treated me like I was an idiot when I brought the car in asking all kinds of stupid questions ... they must have been aware of the transmission problems. Laughed at me when I said I thought I was going to die on the highway b/c of the "slip shifting" and lack of acceleration. They called on Wednesday to say it was a transmission problem!! ya think???? But couldn't tell me when it would be repaired and have yet to phone back. Offered me a car if I paid for half of it???? This is not my problem .... shouldn't they be giving me a car to drive while they repair their mistake?

And ... what about the future performance of this car? Like another blogger, I like to drive my car for 10 years ... if I'm have transmission problems after 16 months, 30 000 KM, can I count on this FORD product to last until 2021?

So much for Motor Trend car of the year!?!? :-(

Edited by Chrrypi

• 1 month later...

The transmission problem in the 2010 Fusion is well documented all over. What is needed now is for EVERYONE to post a complaint on the government recall site, which is what I did. If they get enough complaints, Ford will be forced to address the problem. I had a case open with Ford, but they closed it since they don't know how to fix it.

Use this link to file a complaint with the government:

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

Seth