2010 Fusion Transmission Issues?

mettech

First post on here. First, some information on my car. I have a 2010 Fusion SE 4cyl Auto 6F35 with a vehicle manufacture date of 3/2009. So I have been to the dealership about 2 times for transmission problem since I've owned the vehicle. They reprogrammed the PCM back in 2009 when I had about 2k-3k on the vehicle. This helped resolve the major issues, but the minor issues were still there. Slipping between gears randomly, and erratic shifting were still present. The second time into the dealership, they could not "replicate" the problem. So I decided to keep driving the vehicle, but the problem became worse.

After a call to the dealership, and a call to corporate, I wasn't getting anywhere. So the week of April 11th, I submitted a BBB.org case regarding Ford, which I have reason to believe others have done the same. Within days, a Ford CSR, and the service manager at Valley Ford in St. Louis called to confirm the BBB case. This was when I was informed of a national recall that affects my VIN came out this week. He stated I would be the first to get the PCM update at the dealership, and asked how many miles were on the vehicle. I went in Friday for the update, they performed a 'load' test, or rather took the vehicle out to see if the clutches were holding okay since my vehicle had over 7k miles (7,600). Then they re-flashed the PCM with the new software update, the recall # is 10B15 by the way. The service manager showed me the recall, and it was dated 4/19/2010.

So my initial impressions of the update: I've only put about 50 miles (city/highway) on the vehicle since driving home from the dealership. The computer is still re-learning my shift points, but seems to be closing in on those pretty well. The vehicle is much easier to drive, and the erratic shifts, and RPM fluctuations do not seem very present. There doesn't appear to be any delay in shifts, in fact, it seems to shift almost too quickly at times, and I will get an occasional hard shift. But as I put more miles, the shifts are mellowing out, and hopefully this update is just what the vehicle needed. I still have concerns over the direct overdrive clutch and direct clutch being worn out because of the mileage, but I still need to put some more miles on this before I can make that determination. The service manager said to drive the vehicle this week and get back to him. In the meantime, he's attempting to order in all the parts and get a head start on this, since the parts will be on national backorder. He also stated he has 35 other customers to call and notify of the recall. I will give you all a better update on the vehicle sometime in the next week.

Edited by koliver84

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My 2010 Fusion repairs where completed on 18 May. The car went into the shop 5 April. shades.gif

It's nice to have it back and I want to thank the dealership for giving me a loaner during the repair period. The primary issue now is the wife does not trust the car. We came close of getting ran over by a truck on the interstate merge lane in FL on Easter. Of course this was 10 days after the service dept said there was nothing they could find wrong with the trans and Ford didn't have a flash at that time for it. Only new flash was for the cars built before mine.

Ford is giving me the 5 year, $100. deductible Premium CARE package. At first, they offered the Power train package, but after several conversations, it was upped to the Premium package. However, the package is not transferable since it is proved by Ford and not purchased by me.

My Regional Rep, (her name is Summer), was very nice, but had to call me back several times after she got additional clarification for her statements and/or to my questions. At one point, she asked me for the page # for a topic we where discussing and if I knew if it was the latest printing of the manual for the Fusion.drop.gif

Anyway, after speaking with three different Lawyers (two classmates and one Lemon Law expert), they say I should get my money back or get a new car due to the Lemon Law since the car was out of service for more than 30 working days and the trans issue was addressed three different times. I would however, need to pay for mileage and price difference for a 2011 MY.

At this point, the dealership has asked me not to address this issue with the BBB. I am waiting to see what the dealership will do for a trade-in on a Job #3 or 2011 MY Fusion.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I want to thankbeerchug.gif my dealership, Bob Bowen Ford for the loaner car he has provide me and his own money he is spending on a trade for my 2010 Fusion SEL for a 2011 Fusion SEL.happy%20feet.gif

If Ford had more dealerships like Bob Bowen Ford, Ford Motor Company would never lose a customer. rockon.gif

I want to thankbeerchug.gif my dealership, Bob Bowen Ford for the loaner car he has provide me and his own money he is spending on a trade for my 2010 Fusion SEL for a 2011 Fusion SEL.happy%20feet.gif

If Ford had more dealerships like Bob Bowen Ford, Ford Motor Company would never lose a customer. rockon.gif

Great news mettech!

When I head back to the Hoosier state, I'm going to make a stop in the Terre Haute area to have the 7,500 mile maintenance for my car done at Bob Bowen Ford. This is the kind of dealership I want to do business with. :yup:

Edited by aneekr

Great news mettech!

When I head back to the Hoosier state, I'm going to make a stop in the Terre Haute area to have the 7,500 mile maintenance for my car done at Bob Bowen Ford. This is the kind of dealership I want to do business with. yup.gif

Make sure you have an appointment, the Service section is always booked.

I'm taking my '03 Sable in next week for an oil change and trans fluid change.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '10 Fusion Sport AWD bult in early Sept 2009. This exact ptoblem started happening right after the car turned 17,000 miles, about 10 days ago. It first started when climbing backroad hills at 45 mph, and only during the 5-4 downshift. It would stumble a good bit (2-3 seconds) until I gave it more gas and then it would shift hard into 4th. It is getting progressivly worse, and tonight did it on a 30-mph road on the 4-3 downshift. Taking it in to the dealer early next week. Glad I got the 5 yr/100,000 mile extended warranty! So I'm not worried about cost. Very disappointing though. This is the ONLY issue I've had on the car. Was beginning to think it was invincible!

I have a '10 Fusion Sport AWD bult in early Sept 2009. This exact ptoblem started happening right after the car turned 17,000 miles, about 10 days ago. It first started when climbing backroad hills at 45 mph, and only during the 5-4 downshift. It would stumble a good bit (2-3 seconds) until I gave it more gas and then it would shift hard into 4th. It is getting progressivly worse, and tonight did it on a 30-mph road on the 4-3 downshift. Taking it in to the dealer early next week. Glad I got the 5 yr/100,000 mile extended warranty! So I'm not worried about cost. Very disappointing though. This is the ONLY issue I've had on the car. Was beginning to think it was invincible!

Why would you be glad you got the ext. warranty? Your transmission is still covered by the original factory warranty for another 4 years and 43K miles!

Why would you be glad you got the ext. warranty? Your transmission is still covered by the original factory warranty for another 4 years and 43K miles!

Yeah, I'm aware of the factory warranty, and that it covers this problem today. Understand that I drive 20,000 miles/yr and typically keep a car 7-8 years. So that 60,000 warranty will only cover not even the first half of my expected time with the car. This problem took 3/4 of a year to raise it's head. Hopefully they'll fix it once and that's the end of it. But if not, I'm covered for 5 yrs/100k miles.

Yeah, I'm aware of the factory warranty, and that it covers this problem today. Understand that I drive 20,000 miles/yr and typically keep a car 7-8 years. So that 60,000 warranty will only cover not even the first half of my expected time with the car. This problem took 3/4 of a year to raise it's head. Hopefully they'll fix it once and that's the end of it. But if not, I'm covered for 5 yrs/100k miles.

There is nothing better than knowing you have a prophylactic covering you when you might be with an ugly partner. Sometimes you have to wait until morning to see if she's ugly or not.

And that is my "deep thought statement of the day" from me.

There is nothing better than knowing you have a prophylactic covering you when you might be with an ugly partner. Sometimes you have to wait until morning to see if she's ugly or not.

And that is my "deep thought statement of the day" from me.

I don't think this partner is ugly, I just think it's a sloppy drunk. I hope the dealer can fix it quickly and permanently. I'm just looking for an excuse to get a new Mustang GT 5.0! :hyper:

I'm glad to here Ford is taking this matter very seriously and is getting to the bottom of the problem. Not sure why Ford continues to have issues when it comes to its in house transmissions on the their cars but this will help retain customers!

Follow-up: I went to almost exclusively shifting via the manumatic Fri night / into Sat. Then returned to letting it shift itself. As of this morning's commute it's settled down a good bit, almost normal again. I called the dealer and the service manager was very open about the issue and the flash/ load test procedure. The bad side is their "expert" at this is on vacation this week and booked solid next, but we'll take it in the week of the 12th to have checked out. I'm cautiously optimistic it will be OK until then.

Thankfully I have an appt with the dealer this Wed 7/17. It's getting significantly worse. It often struggles to downshift, especially 6-5 or 5-4. Usually sliding it into manumatic and downshifting myself does the trick. But on one instance this Friday night 7/2, even that didn't help. It seemed like it was going to stall, and the engine light came on and flashed for 1/2 mile, then went off again. I immediately went into the Sync menu and submitted a vehicle health report. I don't know what that will tell us, if anything. But it made it home OK after that. This is very troubling, as I drive through 2 very narrow, very dangerous portions of the PA Turnpike everyday. There are tight Jersey barriers on either side with asolutely no berm to pull over, and heavy speeding truck traffic. If it should stall in one of these construction zones, it's gonna get ugly. I may go a different way to work until this is fixed, though that will add 1/2 hour to my AM commute and another 1/2 hour to my PM commute. :censored:

Thankfully I have an appt with the dealer this Wed 7/17. It's getting significantly worse. It often struggles to downshift, especially 6-5 or 5-4. Usually sliding it into manumatic and downshifting myself does the trick. But on one instance this Friday night 7/2, even that didn't help. It seemed like it was going to stall, and the engine light came on and flashed for 1/2 mile, then went off again. I immediately went into the Sync menu and submitted a vehicle health report. I don't know what that will tell us, if anything. But it made it home OK after that. This is very troubling, as I drive through 2 very narrow, very dangerous portions of the PA Turnpike everyday. There are tight Jersey barriers on either side with asolutely no berm to pull over, and heavy speeding truck traffic. If it should stall in one of these construction zones, it's gonna get ugly. I may go a different way to work until this is fixed, though that will add 1/2 hour to my AM commute and another 1/2 hour to my PM commute. :censored:

Had another significant episode this AM. (The problem happens every day many times, but I'm only pointing out the significant episodes here.) Pulled out of a nearly-blind stop sign this morning. The road goes downhill so the car quickly went from 1st into 2nd (or even 3rd) as expected. I saw in my mirror another car flew over the rise behind me, so I floored it. It hesitated to downshift, stumbled, then went harshly into 1st. It only revved up to 5,750 or 6,000 RPM, but then the engine light started flashing and it stumbled badly in every gear for about 1/2 mile. Ran another Vehicle Health Report, but this one, like the one last Friday, came up that everything was fine. B.S. How the hell can it be "OK" when the engine light is flashing? Thankfully it's in being looked at now. :banghead:

Had another significant episode this AM. (The problem happens every day many times, but I'm only pointing out the significant episodes here.) Pulled out of a nearly-blind stop sign this morning. The road goes downhill so the car quickly went from 1st into 2nd (or even 3rd) as expected. I saw in my mirror another car flew over the rise behind me, so I floored it. It hesitated to downshift, stumbled, then went harshly into 1st. It only revved up to 5,750 or 6,000 RPM, but then the engine light started flashing and it stumbled badly in every gear for about 1/2 mile. Ran another Vehicle Health Report, but this one, like the one last Friday, came up that everything was fine. B.S. How the hell can it be "OK" when the engine light is flashing? Thankfully it's in being looked at now. :banghead:

From what you described the engine is hitting the rev limiter and is shutting down to protect the engine. This should not be happening if you are in automatic (D)

From what you described the engine is hitting the rev limiter and is shutting down to protect the engine. This should not be happening if you are in automatic (D)

Nah. Read it again. I was 6,000 rpm max. Redline is way above that. (6750?)

No matter. PROBLEM SOLVED :hyper: The dealer said the tranny was fine. But the # 4 cylinder was dropping at random. They isolated it to a bad coil pack on # 4. They ordered a new one. It took 24 hours to come in, but they replaced it, retested, and sent me on my way. Drove about 50 miles home tonight with absolutely no signs of stumble. Smooth power & shifting again just like when new (a whopping 18,000 miles ago). Bothersome that this even happened, but let's hope it's a fluke and everything is fine again for a long long time. So nice to have my car back. But I will be very alert to this cropping up again. And hats off to Shults Ford in Wexford PA. They treated me like gold again, shuttle rides, Enterprise rental car, returned my car to me with a fresh wash. I highly recommend them to anyone in the Pgh PA area.

[Now let's talk about that rental car... It was a Focus. I never drove one but was curious. It was a base strippo model. Handled really well. Got 30mpg. Engine didn't exhibit any weakness I expected from a 4-cyl, even with the A/C on max the whole time (93 degrees here). But tire noise was unbearable! Forgot to check the make of tires. And back seat too small for any normal sized adult, even with 4 doors.]

Edited by 89-Pony
  • Like 2

Nah. Read it again. I was 6,000 rpm max. Redline is way above that. (6750?)

No matter. PROBLEM SOLVED :hyper: The dealer said the tranny was fine. But the # 4 cylinder was dropping at random. The isolated it to a bad coil pack on # 4. They ordered a new one. It took 24 hours to come in, but they replaced it, retested, and sent me on my way. Drove about 50 miles home tonight with absolutely no signs of stumble. Smooth power & shifting again just like when new (a whopping 18,000 miles ago). Bothersome that this even happened, but let's hope it's a fluke and everything is fine again for a long long time. So nice to have my car back. But I will be very alert to this cropping up again. And hats off to Shults Ford in Wexford PA. They treated me like gold again, shuttle rides, Enterprise rental car, returned my car to me with a fresh wash. I highly recommend them to anyone in the Pgh PA area.

[Now let's talk about that rental car... It was a Focus. I never drove one but was curious. It was a base strippo model. Handled really well. Got 30mpg. Engine didn't exhibit any weakness I expected from a 4-cyl, even with the A/C on max the whole time (93 degrees here). But tire noise was unbearable! Forgot to check the make of tires. And back seat too small for any normal sized adult, even with 4 doors.]

Good news all around; it's great to hear about your positive experience with Shults Ford.

The OE tires on the base Focus are Hankook Optimo H725 size 195/60R15; they exhibit low rolling resistance and contribute to the Focus' high fuel economy ratings, but at the expense of other characteristics like handling, noise suppression, etc.

Good news all around; it's great to hear about your positive experience with Shults Ford.

The OE tires on the base Focus are Hankook Optimo H725 size 195/60R15; they exhibit low rolling resistance and contribute to the Focus' high fuel economy ratings, but at the expense of other characteristics like handling, noise suppression, etc.

Interesting. Friend of mine has Hankooks on his Civic Si. He hates them. When I ride in his Si, his Hankooks are as loud as the tires on another buddy's 1982 heavy-duty Dodge truck he uses to tow his race car.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Received our new '11 Fusion.

Here are a few items to note that are different from our 2010 Fusion:

- Driver floor mat has different anchor attachments. May have to get new Weather Tech floor mat.:hysterical:

- HD radio is nice. Better dynamics.

- Nav still has wrong time zone for S. Indiana

- Different Michelin tires. This may help explain the higher MPG for '11. Ride is slightly harsher.

- Sync microphone is located above driver.

- Lumbar support is now power for driver seat

- Seat recline now power for passenger

- Garage door remote control added

- Surround sound not available when in radio mode

- auto windshield wiper added. The sensor looks huge on the windshield.

- Traction control symbol has been changed.

Last but not least.... Transmission shifts better.:shift: :hyper:

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Jut took our car in to the shop after a long vacation drive.

Car has 16.5K miles.

Transmission is slipping in all gears if accelerated hard.drop.gif

Does anyone know of any issues with the 6-speed trans?

My 2010 Milan V6 AWD with 13K on it has this issue as well. My local dealer has the car for about a week and the trans tech came back with a bad valve body and a few other parts as well. What those few other parts are in the tranny, I do not know but will find out when I pick the car up on Thursday.

Yes, I got the re-flash notice back in March and no, it didn't make any difference. My symptoms were as follows:

1,2,3,4 gear changes were slow while in Auto Mode but if I put it in to Manual Mode it shifted just fine.

Drive -Reverse & Reverses to Drive "No Load Condition"

Now, I am a big FoMoCo fan and I would never dream of buying anything that isn't wearing the Blue Oval or Lincoln star but this is the fourth Ford product I have had in the last 10 years that has had a valve body/ Torque Converter go with very little mileage . No I don't abuse my cars and if anything they are over-maintained (even the Milan which is on a lease)

To Alan and the other Execs: After 107 years of building cars and trucks, can't you guys build an auto trans that can go longer than 27K without a rebuild?

Fit and Finish and build quality only goes so far but when the trans goes you ain't moving. It doesn't look good for my wife either who was an imports only person, and after seeing the Milan, she wanted to check out a new Edge to replace her Honda CRV but after this has happened now she will think twice about it.

I am a Ford/Lincoln guy for life, so this company does not need to win me over but it needs to win over people like my wife, and this type of breakdown at this mileage does not score points.

Thank You.