2010 Fusion Transmission Issues?

mettech

Jut took our car in to the shop after a long vacation drive.

Car has 16.5K miles.

Transmission is slipping in all gears if accelerated hard.drop.gif

Does anyone know of any issues with the 6-speed trans?

Yes, the 6f35 trans that is in the 2010 4cyl fusions and also in the Escapes have been giving problems. From what Ford has said, the valve body has a valve that is hanging up in its bore, causing two clutches to be engaged at the same time. I bet they will find O/D and direct clutches burned up and need to replace the valve body.

mettech, here's some detail on the issue that fordtech1 describes. Check with your service advisor to determine if this is applicable to your Fusion.

3279 - 6F35 TRANSMISSION - COULD HAVE DTC P0733, P0735 AND EXHIBITING BURNT FLUID, SLIPPING, FAILED OVERDRIVE CLUTCH AND/OR DIRECT CLUTCH

SOME 2009-2010 ESCAPE, MARINER BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/26/2010 AND 2010 FUSION, MILAN VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/4/2010 EQUIPPED WITH 6F35 TRANSMISSION AND A TRANSMISSION BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/22/2010 COULD HAVE DTC P0733, P0735 AND MAY EXHIBIT BURNT FLUID, SLIPPING, FAILED OVERDRIVE CLUTCH AND/OR DIRECT CLUTCH. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY VALVE BODY BORE WEAR AT THE SOLENOID PRESSURE REGULATOR VALVE. TO REPAIR A TRANSMISSION THAT HAS THE OVERDRIVE OR DIRECT CLUTCH FAILED REFER TO WORK SHOP MANUAL (WSM) SECTION 307-01 AND REPLACE THE VALVE BODY WITH PART NUMBER 9L8Z-7A100-C.

mettech, here's some detail on the issue that fordtech1 describes. Check with your service advisor to determine if this is applicable to your Fusion.

3279 - 6F35 TRANSMISSION - COULD HAVE DTC P0733, P0735 AND EXHIBITING BURNT FLUID, SLIPPING, FAILED OVERDRIVE CLUTCH AND/OR DIRECT CLUTCH

SOME 2009-2010 ESCAPE, MARINER BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/26/2010 AND 2010 FUSION, MILAN VEHICLES BUILT ON OR BEFORE 3/4/2010 EQUIPPED WITH 6F35 TRANSMISSION AND A TRANSMISSION BUILT ON OR BEFORE 2/22/2010 COULD HAVE DTC P0733, P0735 AND MAY EXHIBIT BURNT FLUID, SLIPPING, FAILED OVERDRIVE CLUTCH AND/OR DIRECT CLUTCH. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY VALVE BODY BORE WEAR AT THE SOLENOID PRESSURE REGULATOR VALVE. TO REPAIR A TRANSMISSION THAT HAS THE OVERDRIVE OR DIRECT CLUTCH FAILED REFER TO WORK SHOP MANUAL (WSM) SECTION 307-01 AND REPLACE THE VALVE BODY WITH PART NUMBER 9L8Z-7A100-C.

So is this a TSB that a dealer will fix even if the problem doesn't currently exist? Seems like changing the valve body is a whole lot cheaper than changing clutches...

SparcEE

So is this a TSB that a dealer will fix even if the problem doesn't currently exist? Seems like changing the valve body is a whole lot cheaper than changing clutches...

SparcEE

Hi SparcEE. :D No, that is not the case. Only a minority of vehicles will experience valve body failure, therefore Ford will not automatically replace them all.

Not to bore you with a lot of detail, but essentially it is not cheaper to incur the labor costs of replacing good valve bodies in all vehicles, as opposed to simply replacing the parts that fail in the much smaller minority of real world cases. In reality, if it made good business sense and was cheaper, that is what Ford (and every other automaker) would do. But it does not make good business sense and is more expensive to "fix" 100 out of 100 perfectly operating transmissions just to avoid the 6 out of 100 (just a guesstimate) valve bodies that will go bad.

Also, it is not reasonable to inconvenience 100 out of 100 owners of the affected models, when only a small minority will ever experience the problem. Therefore, at least for now the TSB will only apply to vehicles that exhibit symptoms of valve body failure (i.e. burnt fluid, slipping, failed overdrive clutch and/or direct clutch etc.).

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi SparcEE. :D No, that is not the case. Only a minority of vehicles will experience valve body failure, therefore Ford will not automatically replace them all.

Not to bore you with a lot of detail, but essentially it is not cheaper to incur the labor costs of replacing good valve bodies in all vehicles, as opposed to simply replacing the parts that fail in the much smaller minority of real world cases. In reality, if it made good business sense and was cheaper, that is what Ford (and every other automaker) would do. But it does not make good business sense and is more expensive to "fix" 100 out of 100 perfectly operating transmissions just to avoid the 6 out of 100 (just a guesstimate) valve bodies that will go bad.

Also, it is not reasonable to inconvenience 100 out of 100 owners of the affected models, when only a small minority will ever experience the problem. Therefore, at least for now the TSB will only apply to vehicles that exhibit symptoms of valve body failure (i.e. burnt fluid, slipping, failed overdrive clutch and/or direct clutch etc.).

Hope this information helps.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Thanks much...I just got mine 2 weeks ago and loving everything about it.

SparcEE

So is this a TSB that a dealer will fix even if the problem doesn't currently exist? Seems like changing the valve body is a whole lot cheaper than changing clutches... SparcEE
Manufacture date of mine is 9/5/09. The dealership said no codes were found, and after a test drive, unable to find anything wrong. Humm.. Edited by mettech

The issue started after a long interstate trip on Easter Sunday.

First noticed an issue when passing a truck. When the throttle was open 3/4, the car would shift quickly back and forth between the 4-5 gear. When I floored the pedal, it appeared to shift correctly.

Next issue was when I pulled in for gas. Turning into the station, the car stumbled when downshifting and then slipped when up shifting 2-3.

I finished the trip under light throttle and the car shifted OK.

Took the car in to the dealership at home on Monday driving moderate speed. Car shifting was normally. No codes found and they were unable to duplicate the issue.

On Tues, I picked up the car and drove 20 miles on interstate. Issue reappeared. Took car back for the dealership to test drive. During the test drive, car slipped in 1-2-3 gear, engine red line to 7K RPM, and transmission would bang into the next gear and then would slip again.

Waiting to see what happens next.

Yes, the 6f35 trans that is in the 2010 4cyl fusions and also in the Escapes have been giving problems. From what Ford has said, the valve body has a valve that is hanging up in its bore, causing two clutches to be engaged at the same time. I bet they will find O/D and direct clutches burned up and need to replace the valve body.

Is it only the 4cyl Fusions?

Isn't the 6F35 the same tranny on all '10 Fusions even with the 3.0 and 3.5 V6's?

Isn't the 6F35 the same tranny on all '10 Fusions even with the 3.0 and 3.5 V6's?

Sounds like from this excerpt from the Ford Media site that they all use the same transmission, just tweaked for the specific engine.

Six-speed transmissions improve performance, drivability

The new pairing of Fusion’s engines with the 6F35-Mid automatic transmission further drives the mid-size sedan’s competitive advantage, especially when compared with the outgoing five-speed gearbox that was offered with Fusion’s I-4 models. A five-speed transmission is still the gearbox of choice for the 2.0-liter varieties offered on segment contenders Toyota Camry and Honda Accord.

When the six-speed transmission is paired with the 2.5-liter engine, for example, the Fusion powerpack delivers a 10 percent improvement in fuel efficiency along with increased power. The 3.0-liter configurations increase efficiency by 4 to 6 percent. The engine and transmission improvements combined with other vehicle systems improvements help deliver at least a 17 percent improvement on the base 2.5-liter model and approximately 10 percent on 3.0-liter equipped models.

The Ford transmission team made several specific modifications to the 6F35-Mid transmission to optimize its performance for Fusion, including using different final drive ratios for the 2.5-liter and 3.0-liter, developing an improved converter lock-up for lower operating temperatures and efficiency, recalibrating the converter clutch to accommodate a fuel-saving aggressive deceleration fuel shut-off system as well as other tweaks to diminish parasitic losses.

A SelectShift function also was added to the 3.0-liter application in response to customer requests, giving drivers the option of a fun-to-shift manual experience.

Only in 4cyl Fusions and 4cyl and 6 cyl escapes have the 6F35 trans. The 3.0 & 3.5 in Fusion uses Aisin trans.

I haven't seen and 3.0 with the 6F35 in Fusions. Nor have we had any failures in 6cyl Fusions.

Several Escapes have had failures 4 & 6 Cyl

Look on your door certification label. If under the TR the codes are as follows:

6–Speed Manual Transmission (G6M) 6

6–Speed Automatic Transmission (6F35) W

6–Speed Automatic Transmission (Aisin F21) B

Edited by fordtech1

Only in 4cyl Fusions and 4cyl and 6 cyl escapes have the 6F35 trans. The 3.0 & 3.5 in Fusion uses Aisin trans.

I haven't seen and 3.0 with the 6F35 in Fusions. Nor have we had any failures in 6cyl Fusions.

Several Escapes have had failures 4 & 6 Cyl

Look on your door certification label. If under the TR the codes are as follows:

6–Speed Manual Transmission (G6M) 6

6–Speed Automatic Transmission (6F35) W

6–Speed Automatic Transmission (Aisin F21) B

I have confirmed my 2010 Fusion with 3.0l V6 has the 6F35 Tranny.

My vehicle was built in 12/09.

Yes it is.

Does that mean it is less likely to have problems?

We haven't seen any issues with 6cyl fusions yet. From what I am told, the issue for slipping stems from the valve body in the trans. I am sure the valve body in the 6F35 is different with select shift vs standard. I am going to take a guess and say you are probably not going to have the same issues the 4cylinder 6F's have. Unless someone on has other experiences to say otherwise.

• 2 weeks later...

Where are the 6Speed Automatic Transmission (6F35) W and 6Speed Automatic Transmission (Aisin F21) B made?

I was just informed that Ford wants to do a flash on the trans before they tear it apart.sos.gif

I was also told that another TSB is going to be issued. A recall may be forthcoming.drop.gif

UPDATE.... Flash did not work.. Ford is sending a trans rebuild kit... not sure what that includes... may take one or two weeks to get... they appear to be on back order.boring.gif

Edited by mettech

6F: Sterling Heights (Michigan), USA

Aisin AW F21: Aichi Prefecture, Japan

Hummmm...huh.gif

Rumor has it now that Ford will or Ford has released a Customer Satisfaction Program for the USA made Fusion transmision. This is what was posted on another site:

"Ford Motor Company is taking this issue VERY seriously.

Please be patient.

Ford has released a Customer Satisfaction Program. Owners of affected vehicles will be receiving letters soon with all the facts on this problem with the transaxle in the 2010 Fusion and 2009/2010 Escape built before 3/8/2010.

The cause of the failure which is noted in the letter you receive, is the transmission valve body. Per the program, If your vehicle has less then 7000 miles, your PCM (computer) is recalibrated. This calibration change updates the control of a solenoid in the valve body which regulates/controls a specific valve that is not operating correctly.

If you vehicle has over 7000 miles, immediately after the calibration update the dealership's transmission technician will perform a specific load test to verify the condition of the transmission. There is zero-tolerance for this test. The result is either "0" slippage or "more then 0" slippage. If there is "0" slippage, the vehicle's transmission is released.

If the transaxle fails the load test with (a reading above 0), under the program the transmission technician will remove and teardown the transaxle for repair. If during the teardown the technican finds ANY damage beyond a specific parts list, the dealership management team will call Ford Engineering for further action.

The affected Vehicle Identification List was activated in Ford's system April 19 2010. Feel free to call your dealership with your VIN and find out if your vehicle is in the program if you are close to 7000 miles.

However long the line may end up, you may well want to be at the front of it.

Again, Ford Motor Company is taking this issue very seriously. There has been a delay in accurate information due to Ford Engineering working to the root of the failure and they have confidence in the program.

If your valve body was already replaced as part of a previous repair before 3/31/2010, you still need to go in for the software update under the program. "

Automoble

Does anyone from BON know the real facts?

Also found out there is a recall on the seat recliner mechanisms.

SparcEE, is this the recall that your dealer informed you of?

Vehicle Make / Model: Model Year(s):

FORD / EXPLORER 2010

FORD / EXPLORER SPORT TRAC 2010

FORD / FUSION 2010

MERCURY / MILAN 2010

MERCURY / MOUNTAINEER 2010

Manufacturer: FORD MOTOR COMPANY Mfr's Report Date: APR 16, 2010

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 10V161000 N/A

NHTSA Action Number: N/A

Component: SEATS:FRONT ASSEMBLY:RECLINER

Potential Number of Units Affected: 33256

Summary:

FORD IS RECALLING CERTAIN MODEL YEAR 2010 FUSION, EXPLORER, EXPLORER SPORT TRAC, AND MERCURY MILAN AND MOUNTAINEER VEHICLES MANUFACTURED BETWEEN DECEMBER 15, 2009 THROUGH FEBRUARY 3, 2010 EQUIPPED WITH FRONT SEAT MANUAL RECLINERS. THESE VEHICLES FAIL TO COMPLY WITH THE REQUIREMENTS OF FEDERAL MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY STANDARD NO. 202, HEAD RESTRAINT. THE RECLINER GEAR PLATE TEETH MAY BE OUT OF DIMENSION SPECIFICATION WHICH COULD RESULT IN LIMITED PAWL TO GEAR PLATE TOOTH ENGAGEMENT.

Consequence:

IN THE EVENT OF A CRASH, THE SEATBACK AND HEAD RESTRAINT MAY MOVE REARWARD, INCREASING THE RISK OF INJURY.

Remedy:

DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE MANUAL RECLINERS FOR BOTH POWER AND MANUAL SEATS FREE OF CHARGE. THE SAFETY RECALL IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN ON OR BEFORE APRIL 30, 2010. OWNERS MAY CONTACT FORD AT 1-866-436-7332.

Notes:

OWNERS MAY ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S VEHICLE SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-327-4236 (TTY 1-800-424-9153), OR GO TO HTTP://WWW.SAFERCAR.GOV.

SparcEE, is this the recall that your dealer informed you of?

Didn't get the recall #, but the way he described the issue it sounds like it. They have to order parts and should have it in the shop middle of next week. My main concern is the trans as I only have 1200 miles and want to make sure I'm not causing any extra wear and tear without the PCM refresh.

SparcEE