Anyone else with 2010 transmission issues

Going_Going_Gone

A family member has a 2010 MKX that was built right after the transmission parts supplier strike ended in India. Since they've owned it, they have had two episodes where the transmission shifted violently (like the car like it had been in a rear-end accident) and the engine went into "limp mode." The first time it set codes and the techs replaced two sensors in the transmission. The day they got it back, the same jerking ocurred again at the same engine speed, 1500 RPM. A dealership employee brought them a loaner in order to drive it back to the shop and experienced the same shaking/clunking, but on a lesser scale. Today another tech took it on another test drive, but since it did not do anything out of the ordinary and there are no codes set; they don't know what to do and will not open it up without codes. They're going to keep it another day and have their transmission guy do another test drive.

Anyone know of any ongoing issues with these transmissions or with questionable parts being sent over from India while the labor dispute was going on at the parts supplier?

• 2 weeks later...

A family member has a 2010 MKX that was built right after the transmission parts supplier strike ended in India. Since they've owned it, they have had two episodes where the transmission shifted violently (like the car like it had been in a rear-end accident) and the engine went into "limp mode." The first time it set codes and the techs replaced two sensors in the transmission. The day they got it back, the same jerking ocurred again at the same engine speed, 1500 RPM. A dealership employee brought them a loaner in order to drive it back to the shop and experienced the same shaking/clunking, but on a lesser scale. Today another tech took it on another test drive, but since it did not do anything out of the ordinary and there are no codes set; they don't know what to do and will not open it up without codes. They're going to keep it another day and have their transmission guy do another test drive.

Anyone know of any ongoing issues with these transmissions or with questionable parts being sent over from India while the labor dispute was going on at the parts supplier?

Update: car was in shop for a week and returned and didn't make it one day without another episode...after two more weeks in the dealership (and a field test by the Ford engineer), they replaced the wiring harness from the PCM to the transmission with no change and now they are going to try and swap out a new valve body complete with solenoids. It is now going on the fourth week in the shop with no real idea of what the problem is. Sounds to me like they're throwing parts at it hoping for a fix. So far the car has been at the dealer more than with its owner. Not real confidence inspiring. Lincoln better step up on this one as a partial transmission rebuild after three violent lockups is not an acceptable proposition.

I don't underatand why American car makers continue to turn a blind eye toward their foreign competition. Other than the 2008 MKX we own, we have 2003 Honda Accord. At 66,000 miles, the transmission was slipping when it was shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. I took it to my local Honda dealer ( I should mention that I bought this car from a used car lot, not from the said Honda dealer), and they gave me a loaner car while they replaced the transmission with a factory rebuilt transmission (not a used tranny, a factory rebuilt tranny). They admitted that there was a problem with the transmission in that model year and just replaced it. No hassles, no problems, and 20,000 miles later, I've not had a single problem. There was no replace this, replace that...just replace the whole shabang and send me on my way. Total cost to me....$500. They only charged me a discounted labor rate. The loaner car was free (4 days), and since they had to take apart the front suspension to do the job, the cost also included a four wheel alignment.

Why can't American car dealers treat their customers this way? I can say this much...when it comes time to replace my Accord, my next car WILL be a Honda. They earned that.

I don't underatand why American car makers continue to turn a blind eye toward their foreign competition. Other than the 2008 MKX we own, we have 2003 Honda Accord. At 66,000 miles, the transmission was slipping when it was shifting from 3rd to 4th gear. I took it to my local Honda dealer ( I should mention that I bought this car from a used car lot, not from the said Honda dealer), and they gave me a loaner car while they replaced the transmission with a factory rebuilt transmission (not a used tranny, a factory rebuilt tranny). They admitted that there was a problem with the transmission in that model year and just replaced it. No hassles, no problems, and 20,000 miles later, I've not had a single problem. There was no replace this, replace that...just replace the whole shabang and send me on my way. Total cost to me....$500. They only charged me a discounted labor rate. The loaner car was free (4 days), and since they had to take apart the front suspension to do the job, the cost also included a four wheel alignment.

Why can't American car dealers treat their customers this way? I can say this much...when it comes time to replace my Accord, my next car WILL be a Honda. They earned that.

You were just lucky with your Accord transmission problem. After I read your wonderful story, I searched the internet for more info. Everybody else I read with 2003 Accord transmission problems had to paid thousands. Yeah! Honda had to recall these transmission problem because they messed up and tried to hide the problem, as explained by the Accord owners' complains. Eventually they couldn't hide anymore!

Edited by LoveTaurus

My friend, Google Honda Automatic Transmission and be prepared to have your eyes opened....

From 1998 to 2004 or 2005 Honda could not build an auto that would last. They were drug kicking and screaming into recalling them. It was not some "goodwill measure" or anything else, but a drag out fight to get those trannies recalled.

• 2 months later...

my 2010 edge has had intermittent, but increasing: very hard shifts (think dropping a clutch), transmission engagement problems under initial acceleration, and a strobing TCS/Advance-trak light; occurring more & more freq. 8K miles, 2010 model. Bring it in 4/12 for svc from a dealer who is very good. will update.

Edited by bbb1

• 6 years later...