New Fiesta sales top 500,000 in first year!

Customer demand for fuel-efficient Fiesta continues strong in Europe and Asia Pacific markets as Ford prepares to introduce the Fiesta to U.S. buyers in December

More than 40 percent of European customers are choosing higher end Titanium and Ghia trim levels of the new Fiesta

From "Hot Magenta" in Spain to "Winning Blue" in China and "Panther Black" in Australia, Fiesta buyers are opting for a wide mix of colors

DEARBORN, Mich., Oct. 29, 2009 – One year after its debut, more than half a million customers have purchased the new Ford Fiesta, marking an important milestone as Ford Motor Company prepares to bring the fuel-efficient, global car to the U.S. and other key Asian Pacific markets next year.

The new Fiesta, the first in a wave of stylish vehicles being brought to world-wide markets under the ONE Ford plan, went on sale in Germany in October 2008. It quickly became the second-best-selling car for all markets in Europe and the leader in the European small car segment. The new Fiesta has also been a key driver behind Ford of Europe's market share gains, which are up 0.5 percentage points this year through September to 9.2 percent, the highest since 1999.

After its European introduction, the Fiesta was launched in South Africa, Australia, New Zealand and China. Global retail sales of the car reached 470,000 units through September of this year, with 430,000 sales in Europe and 40,000 in the Asia Pacific region. Continued strong demand for Fiesta through October has pushed the total number beyond 500,000.

"Customers around the world are recognizing the new Fiesta delivers on the global Ford DNA — eye-catching design, innovation, outstanding driving dynamics and great value," said Jim Farley, group vice president of global marketing and Canada, Mexico and South America.

The new Fiesta will make its North American debut when it is revealed at the Los Angeles Auto Show in December. Set to arrive in North American dealer showrooms next summer, the Fiesta already can claim more than 50,000 potential U.S. customers thanks to the Fiesta Movement, a social media initiative in which 100 young trendsetters are test driving and living with a European-spec Ford Fiesta for six months.

Customers so far have been drawn to higher end models of the Fiesta, with more than 40 percent of European buyers choosing the Titanium and Ghia trim levels. The variety of colors that Fiesta offers is also proving to be a hit.

So far this year customers in the U.K. and Germany, Ford of Europe's two largest markets, drive off in a "Panther Black" Fiesta more than any other color. Drivers in Italy, Switzerland, Netherlands and Greece are also among those countries that favor black.

http://media.ford.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=31291

This seems up my B-plan-

B-Max:

Added to Fiesta plant in mexico for NA and SA

Added to Indian Plant to replace Fusion

Takes over for Fusion in EU

Production added to China, Thailand (for SE Asia and Australia)

Brazilian Ka

Production added to India

Fiesta

Production added in India (replaces currect indian Fiesta)

China and NA get 3 door, sedan for EU

Ikon

South African (currect Indian Fiesta) and Indian Ikon merged

Production added to Romania(For Southeast and East EU and North Africa)

Production added in S America to take place of current Fiesta

Production in india (exports to China and SE Asia)

Figo

Same as Ikon

EcoSport

Production added to Mexico for NA

Current production in Brazil exports to Africa (except S Africa)

Production added to EU (exports to S Africa)

Production added to India, Thailand (for SE Asia and Mongolia) , and China

Bantam/Courier

Courier name stays in S America, Bantam everywhere else

Production in S America export to NA and Africa (except S Africa), Russia

Production in S Africa exports to SE Asia and Australia

Production added to India and China

Thailand is coming on stream shortly and will produce both

the three and five door Fiesta as well as the Mazda 2.

The reason that Ford produces the Figo for India is because it is needed and

purpose designed for India's requirements, I'm sure they will eventually move

to the new Fiesta platform once costs are amortized in a few years but there's

no burning need t do so now.

Thailand is coming on stream shortly and will produce both

the three and five door Fiesta as well as the Mazda 2.

The reason that Ford produces the Figo for India is because it is needed and

purpose designed for India's requirements, I'm sure they will eventually move

to the new Fiesta platform once costs are amortized in a few years but there's

no burning need t do so now.

They better get the sedan in there.

I think Ford's "poor" products really need to expand into other countries for these emerging markets are the future. If Ford doesnt have a big splash early on in the countries development, theyll fall behind.

Excellent news! I'm sure the intros in North America will only improve these numbers, hopefully significantly. All we have to do now is hope for long term reliability and theres nothing to indicate that won't be the case.

Agreed! The new Fiesta is a great opportunity for Ford to start launching its' global platforms and new European inspired designs. At some point, whether we like it or not, gas prices are going to go up which will only benefit Ford with sales of the upcoming Fiesta and new Focus models.

I just got a pamphlet in the mail today from Ford. It says Experience the U.S. version Fiesta December 2nd at the LA show. Reserve the Fiesta December 2nd online and Celebrate it's arrival in SPRING 2010. So is it spring or summer arrival?

apparent order dates begin Jan 1....true story...order bank open Jan1, scheduling begins March 19th,, job 1 april 26th.........funny, my mind reverted to New Zealand time where 1/4/ 2010 reads as April 1st...or April fools day

Edited by Deanh

I just got a pamphlet in the mail today from Ford. It says Experience the U.S. version Fiesta December 2nd at the LA show. Reserve the Fiesta December 2nd online and Celebrate it's arrival in SPRING 2010. So is it spring or summer arrival?

Confused me too since I got the same mailing. They've now said both spring and summer within the same week. I think it's semantic thing if the car is coming out at the cusp of the two seasons. For example, if the on sale date was after Memorial Day but before the summer solstice they could say it's spring or summer and be correct depending on the definition being used.

Also, anyone know the deal with this "reserve your Fiesta online" thing? I asked on Twitter last night and got a "can't tell you" response. I'd definitely consider pre-ordering a Fiesta, but I'd like to know how the process works before having to make a decision.

I hope this isn't going to be like Smart where you HAD to reserve your car online and they got so many reservations there was an 18-month wait at one point. Then a lot of people canceled their reservations, leaving dealers with unexpected inventories.