GaryG

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 21 September 2009 - 07:42 PM

I agree 100% with akirby.

Don't argue with hypermilers...they are tight-wads..they are smarter than engineers who work at Foprd and tire manufacturers. Hypermilers are idiots who value fuel economy over the replacement costs of suspension components, brakes, etc.

But worst of all they are out to get extra MPG, that they could give a shit about the risks that they are putting themselves and other motorists in...all for the sake of a few MPGs. As long as they can squeeze out a few pennies more they don't care that 50psi cold can turn into 60psi or higher hot. Screw everyone else and their safety...I saved myself an extra dollar today.

So, are you saying that the Ford engineers, designers and race car driver Carl Edwards risk the public and themselves at doing the 1,445 mile tank in the '10 Ford Fusion at 80mpg? Chicken Little, what else can you tell us? These engineers work for FORD! Looks like you could give a shit about polluting our planet and don't care about the price of oil. Like safety is driving your vehicle at 75 plus MPH you idiot.
'05 FWD FEH & '09 FWD FEH

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   wptski

wptski

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 208 posts
  • Joined 14-December 08

Posted 21 September 2009 - 11:29 PM

The following from the Tire Rack is like most others found doing a simple search on tire pressure. Yeah, run higher pressure if your racing on a smooth track but that's it! Some say that overinflation reduces braking, some don't.

Disadvantages of Underinflation

An underinflated tire can't maintain its shape and becomes flatter than intended while in contact with the road. If a vehicle's tires are underinflated by only 6 psi it could weaken the tire's internal structure and eventually lead to tire failure. Lower inflation pressures will allow more deflection as the tire rolls. This will build up more internal heat, increase rolling resistance (causing a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%) and reduce the tire's tread life by as much as 25% while increasing the probability of irregular treadwear. Drivers would also find a noteworthy loss of steering precision and cornering stability. While 6 psi doesn't seem excessively low, it typically represents about 20% of a passenger car tire's recommended pressure.

Disadvantages of Overinflation

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when encountering potholes or debris in the road, as well as experience irregular tread wear. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities as well causing the vehicle to ride harsher and transmit more noise into its interior. However, higher inflation pressures reduce rolling resistance slightly and typically provide a slight improvement in steering response and cornering stability. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures.

Bill

09 Ford Escape Limited, 3.0L, 4WD, AdvanceTrac

#23 OFFLINE   atomaro

atomaro

Hey man...

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • Joined 10-January 07

Posted 22 September 2009 - 03:16 PM

So, are you saying that the Ford engineers, designers and race car driver Carl Edwards risk the public and themselves at doing the 1,445 mile tank in the '10 Ford Fusion at 80mpg? Chicken Little, what else can you tell us? These engineers work for FORD! Looks like you could give a shit about polluting our planet and don't care about the price of oil. Like safety is driving your vehicle at 75 plus MPH you idiot.

Looks like I struck a nerve. They did it under a controlled setting. Its not the same as some loony with worn suspension parts, bad brakes, etc. I mean, do I really have to spell it out for you?? Dude, you are so far out to lunch. Grow up and go hug a tree, shine a flashlight at a solar panel or do whatever it is you do to get through the day.

If you care so much about pollution and the price of oil...go ride a bike to work and keep your computer off to save electricity.

Edited by atomaro, 22 September 2009 - 03:18 PM.

Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some f^ckin' muscle.

#24 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 22 September 2009 - 05:45 PM

Looks like I struck a nerve. They did it under a controlled setting. Its not the same as some loony with worn suspension parts, bad brakes, etc. I mean, do I really have to spell it out for you?? Dude, you are so far out to lunch. Grow up and go hug a tree, shine a flashlight at a solar panel or do whatever it is you do to get through the day.

If you care so much about pollution and the price of oil...go ride a bike to work and keep your computer off to save electricity.

It's clear you don't know what your talking about at all. Ford chose to contact one of the best hypermilers in the World to drive one of the best hybrid sedan with their engineers and their sponsored Race Car driver. The setting was regular streets in our Country to prove it's possible you and I could purchase a Ford hybrid and get better gas mileage than Toyota and Honda. Ford didn't control the setting because that would take putting the FFH on a race track with no stoplight or drivers like yourself. The Ford engineers were given a short lesson by Wayne Gerdes and then drove day and night till the tank was dry. If Ford had a controlled setting it would have been a wasted demonstration.

You don't have a clue about the condition of my car but you spread your slanderous filth about worn suspension and bad brakes. The fact is hypermilers generally maintain their vehicles in top condition to consistantly get top mileage. We use the best oil, change the stock filters, and prevent the standard repairs most drivers need when not taking care of their vehicle properly. I even replace the donut spare with a matching rim and tire in case I get a flat. With 15,000 miles on my '09 FEHL the new spare tire and rim I purchased has never been used because I've had no flat.

You assume way to much about me and my driving abilities and use safety as your excuse why I get great gas mileage. Why would you accuse me of something you don't have a clue about. Sounds like I struck a nerve with you because you associate hypermiling with slow drivers and may have a problem with road rage. Or could it be I'm getting more than 3 times the mileage as your gas Escape or Ford truck? You assume I'm only saving a few MPG when in fact I'm saving big bucks and can purchase new vehicles such as a loaded '09 FEHL and a new '10 FEHL. How can you assume I'm a tight-wad when I just have a hobby that's saving energy? The fact is you don't know what your talking about and just have issues with yourself I think. Do you have problems with sailboat owners also? They must be tight-wads also according to your thinking because they use wind instead of gas when they can.

#25 OFFLINE   atomaro

atomaro

Hey man...

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • Joined 10-January 07

Posted 23 September 2009 - 09:25 PM

Best of luck to you GaryG. Enjoy your time on BON
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some f^ckin' muscle.

#26 OFFLINE   vanman628

vanman628

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 29-April 08

Posted 24 September 2009 - 11:48 AM

Hey, can we please get back to the TPS fault issue? I just returned from a trip from West Palm back to Orlando (avg. speed 70 for about 3 hours) and the fault light was on for almost 2-2.5 hours. Even when I stopped for gas, a block from home, it stayed on, until I tuned the iginition off last night. Of course it is off this a.m. and no light on the way to work. When I exceed 50 mph for 15-20 minutes seems to be the thing that kicks it on.

Talked to my tech advisor at the dealership last week, who had talked to the techs. They had no advice and my tech advisor believes that high pressure will set it off, but she doesn't read this forum. I told her she needs to start reading here. Looks like I'm gonna have to run up and down I-4 until the light comes on and then run it directly to the dealership.

If anyone has any ideas or advice, please post it!!

Vanman628

#27 OFFLINE   atomaro

atomaro

Hey man...

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,252 posts
  • Joined 10-January 07

Posted 24 September 2009 - 03:18 PM

Typically sensors report a low condition...not excessive pressure. After your run to trip the sensor...pressure the dealer to replace all 4 sensors.

Edited by atomaro, 24 September 2009 - 03:18 PM.

#28 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Blue Oval Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Joined 19-April 08

Posted 24 September 2009 - 05:48 PM

vanman628, the TPM system works on the MS-CAN network and the fault that is occurring may not becoming from the tire sensors. The MS-CAN works on unshielded wires and this could be an intermittent problem with your Instrument Cluster (IC) or the Smart Junction Box (SJB). The fact that you are only seeing the problem after driving over 40mph for 25 minutes maybe related to heat from a connection or a added device that's effecting the SJB. If it was a tire sensor, speed and time should not be an issue so I lean that the problem is with the SJB first and the IC second. If you have installed a radio or DVD player I would disconnect them and see if the problem is solved. Throughout the repair manual it warns that these devices could effect the computer systems and modules and this may not be a warranty covered problem.

Also, each tire sensor is trained like RF, LF, RR, LR and spare if you have a sensor there. Do you get a flashing warning first before you get a solid light? If you have added a non OEM device, disconnect it and see if there is still a problem. There are pinpoint test the techs should be testing on the IC and SJB to find stored codes with their scan tools. I know CarlD can find these codes with the SGII even 2 weeks after the wrench light resets after an OFF/On Key.

#29 OFFLINE   wptski

wptski

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 208 posts
  • Joined 14-December 08

Posted 24 September 2009 - 10:17 PM

I know CarlD can find these codes with the SGII even 2 weeks after the wrench light resets after an OFF/On Key.

That may not always be true as far as the CAN buss system goes. During my continuing quest for knowledge on the Escape 4WD systems, I pulled the fuse for the 4WD module. That lites the wrench dash icon, replacing the fuse turns it OFF. CarlD told me what magical numbers to plug into my SG-II and it seems that the DTC was still there. Some DTCs will remain till the said code that turned it ON "sees" that the problem no longer exsists. It's possible that I didn't drive it enough after replacing the fuse.

The CAN buss system seems to retain faults even though there are no dash indicators showing any problems. Since there was the 4WD module DTC stuck in the system, was the 4WD system operating correctly? I don't know!!

Again CarlD told me what magical numbers to program into my SG-II to clear that DTC from my vehicle.
Bill

09 Ford Escape Limited, 3.0L, 4WD, AdvanceTrac

#30 OFFLINE   vanman628

vanman628

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 29-April 08

Posted 25 September 2009 - 10:13 AM

vanman628, the TPM system works on the MS-CAN network and the fault that is occurring may not becoming from the tire sensors. The MS-CAN works on unshielded wires and this could be an intermittent problem with your Instrument Cluster (IC) or the Smart Junction Box (SJB). The fact that you are only seeing the problem after driving over 40mph for 25 minutes maybe related to heat from a connection or a added device that's effecting the SJB. If it was a tire sensor, speed and time should not be an issue so I lean that the problem is with the SJB first and the IC second. If you have installed a radio or DVD player I would disconnect them and see if the problem is solved. Throughout the repair manual it warns that these devices could effect the computer systems and modules and this may not be a warranty covered problem.

Also, each tire sensor is trained like RF, LF, RR, LR and spare if you have a sensor there. Do you get a flashing warning first before you get a solid light? If you have added a non OEM device, disconnect it and see if there is still a problem. There are pinpoint test the techs should be testing on the IC and SJB to find stored codes with their scan tools. I know CarlD can find these codes with the SGII even 2 weeks after the wrench light resets after an OFF/On Key.

GaryG, thanks for all that info. I will relay all of this to my service advisor.

I don't have ANY after-market electronics on my Escape. It's all stock with the Sync system. And this problem just cropped up after my last oil change and tire rotation. And YES, I get the tone and a flashing light first, then after a while, it goes to a solid light.

But, I don't get any faults unless I am driving at higher speeds for an extended time.

vanman628

#31 OFFLINE   vanman628

vanman628

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  • Joined 29-April 08

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:46 AM

After having weekly TPS warning prolems for at least 3 months, last Monday the driver side rear sensor finally failed completely. It appears thay can only diagnose the problem when the warning light is on. Getting the sensor repleced today.

They told me, if you get new tires and the tire dealer damages the valve stem ('09 has the sensors there) it's $180 to replace it!! Yikes!!