Focus gas mileage request

gafry

2008 Focus SES 4AT (rented for three weeks in Ottawa, Ontario):

can_focus_ses.JPG

Total distance traveled: 1,751 km, 55% expressway, 45% urban/suburban

Fuel economy according to trip computer:

can_focus_fe.JPG

Conversion to miles per U.S. gallon: approx 33

Rating based on actual amount of fuel consumed/replenished (124 L): 7.1 L/100 km

Edited by aneekr

I am thinking about buying a Ford Focus because it's made in the USA

but I need a car wit good gas mileage for my 35 mile commute.

Please tell me what gas mileage you get and the type of Focus.

Thank You

08 4 door auto. Wife commutes close to 90 miles (90% interstate) a day. Averages around 33.4 in the winter and 34.7 summer.

I am thinking about buying a Ford Focus because it's made in the USA

but I need a car wit good gas mileage for my 35 mile commute.

Please tell me what gas mileage you get and the type of Focus.

Thank You

I have a 2008 Focus SE Manual with the 16" wheels and 27K miles. I haven't reset the MPG readout for over a year. Driving includes Minnesota winters, 20 mile one way commutes through variable traffic and a few trips that take about one tank full. I'd call it close to 50/50 city highway. Current reading is 33.5mpg.

2000 SE 5-speed 75% highway commute - ~33MPG (me)

2009 SES 5-speed 0% highway commute - ~31MPG (wife)

I have had two hand calculated tanks top 40 mpg in my 2008 SES Auto. This was about 80% highway and 20% city. I average about 37 in the summer and 30/31 in the winter. Just over 23K miles on the clock.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an 08 automatic and drive about 170 miles per day. Mostly highway with a little city and sometimes massive DC traffic jams. I’ve had the car for a little over a year and have about 50K miles on it. A good average for me is in the 33 MPG range. I’ve seen as high as 42 when I hit DC in the morning and have never seen it lower than 31 on the mega traffic jam 2.5 hour drive home days.

From what I've seen with my '08 auto sedan, you can do very well if the roads you drive have very few stops and a lower speed limit.

If you're able to go a consistent 50 to 55 mph, I'd say you can easily get around 40mpg. On the interstates in the Southeast, with speed around 70+ mph, I usually see around 33-34 mpg.

Keep in mind that these are the hand-calculated mpgs. I've noticed by comparing to the cluster that the instrument cluster readout seems to indicate 2-3 mpg high for me usually.

• 2 weeks later...

I rented a 2010 SES last week and drove about 500 miles (90%-95% highway) and the computer read 40.2 MPG (speeds ranging from 55 to 65MPH), I was really impressed considering that it is a 4-speed automatic. I wonder what the 2011 model will get with a six speed.

I thought the car had plenty of pep for the driving I was doing in Michigan (not too many inclines) and it only downshifted a few times on the interstate.

If I was in the market for a new car, I would consider the Focus. I love my Fusion but a 10 MPG increase for the amount of driving I do is tempting.