British-built engines (EcoBoost 1.6L) for the US

British jobs are safe, as Ford reveals plans to export UK-built engines to North America.

Workers at Ford's engine factories in Bridgend, North Wales, and Dagenham, Essex, have been reassured that their jobs are secure.

New family of green engines

Ford's Bridgend factory will build a new 'family' of petrol engines, starting with the turbocharged 1.6-litre EcoBoost unit.

The new 1.6 EcoBoost will initially be used in the Mondeo range.

The Bridgend-built EcoBoost engines will also be exported to North America, where Ford plans to offer an increased range of four-cylinder engines.

The Bridgend facility will be the sole supplier of the 1.6 EcoBoost engine worldwide; smaller versions will be made at Ford's factories in Craiova, Romania (a plant formerly owned by Daewoo) and Cologne, Germany, and a 2.0-litre version, which will also be exported globally, in Valencia.

http://bit.ly/Quiue

back up link to Fords Aug.09 info http://www.scribd.com/doc/18517635/FactShe...ope-August-2009

Edited by MKII

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't the Falcon going to the first app with the 2.0 L EB?

Or was it a carefully worded announcement by FoA, the first EB RWD car to be announced?

In any case, it's not supposed to arrive until 2011 unless Ford does a serious "pull ahead".

Edited by jpd80

Starting in 2011, the iconic Falcon, one of the largest-selling brands in automotive history and the first Australian-made car to be awarded a 5-star ANCAP rating, will become one of the greenest family cars in Australia with EcoBoost. Slated for a range of global vehicles – from small cars to large trucks – EcoBoost uses petrol turbocharged direct-injection technology to deliver improved fuel efficiency, emissions and driving performance versus larger displacement engines.

As the first rear-wheel drive car from Ford to receive the 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder EcoBoost, Falcon is benefiting from the One Ford strategy of accelerating products that customers want and value – and then making those products available on a global basis.

“Today’s announcements put Ford Australia in a strong position for profitable growth in today’s auto industry,” said Marin Burela, President & CEO of Ford Australia. “We are ensuring our core Falcon and Territory vehicles will have the most advanced, high-tech and cleanest engines possible. At the same time, this represents the biggest environmental transformation in the fifty-year history of Ford Falcon by giving buyers the newest engine in the Ford Motor Company stable.

"Falcon customers will now have the choice of either the continually popular I6 engine, which will be Euro IV compliant, or one of the first global applications of Ford's EcoBoost, 2.0-litre 4-cylinder engines, while in a similar timeframe Territory customers will be able to access Ford's world-class clean diesel engine technology," Burela continued

http://www.ford.com/about-ford/news-announ...0-million-30728

Sure doesn't help for setting a competitive price, it must be dearer to make engines in Europe....

What's the bet Ecoboost takes a big dump in Europe and FoE runs back to diesels....

Much of the Ford's Powertrain management now sits in EU !

As for EcoBoost being a success/failure in EU, well, with the government indirectly subsidizing diesel fuel in most countries, I don't think it will steal too many sales away from diesel.

Projected sales mix of the Taurus SHO (w/EcoBoost) are only 10-20%. I would love to see what the projected sales mix of EcoBoost are on the MKS and Flex !

Edited by theoldwizard

Starting in 2011, ...

the first rear-wheel drive car from Ford to receive the 2.0-litre, 4-cylinder EcoBoost...

one of the first global applications of Ford's EcoBoost, 2.0-litre ...

Explorer launches in late 2010. Word is, it will likely have 2.0L EcoBoost "available". Fusion likely will follow soon after.

Any word if 2011MY US Focus will have EcoBoost "available" at Job #1

2010 C-Max which is suppose launch at Frankfurt has been mentioned as a 1.6L EB equipped vehicle. Nothing mentioned about the 2011 Focus in EU. I am curious what displacement will be for the mentioned smaller EB produced in Romania/Cologne.

2010 C-Max which is suppose launch at Frankfurt has been mentioned as a 1.6L EB equipped vehicle. Nothing mentioned about the 2011 Focus in EU. I am curious what displacement will be for the mentioned smaller EB produced in Romania/Cologne.

You'd really want something like a 1.2 Ecoboost for Focus/Fiesta as anything more doesn't suit Europe.

They're tight on CO2 output and anything under 99 grams is always in favor.

Much of the Ford's Powertrain management now sits in EU !

As for EcoBoost being a success/failure in EU, well, with the government indirectly subsidizing diesel fuel in most countries, I don't think it will steal too many sales away from diesel.

Projected sales mix of the Taurus SHO (w/EcoBoost) are only 10-20%. I would love to see what the projected sales mix of EcoBoost are on the MKS and Flex !

Yes, the gasoline cars in Europe/UK are really out of favor and this may be an opportunity

to adjust the product mix away from the diesel plant, I hear they sell all they can make....

This just doesn't add up, why send a bunch of engines over from Europe to the USA, where that engine will be more popular then in its home market its being built in?

I can see it supplementing production in the USA but not being the only source.

Then again the 4.0L V6 was built in Germany and wasn't there a transmission or two that came from France?

This just doesn't add up, why send a bunch of engines over from Europe to the USA, where that engine will be more popular then in its home market its being built in?

FoE has lot of Powertrain management control and I-4 Ecoboost program was championed by them.

Gosh, I hope they got their sums right, this could turn ugly/expensive with currency shifts.

I thought for sure they would have a plant in Mexico or at least the USA as a minimum.

Edited by jpd80

One would assume that each EB variant would only be assembled in one plant.

Choosing a plant already building the non-EB variant makes sense.

The reason why these engines are being sourced initially from Europe is because there are no 2.0 & 1.6L 4-cylinder lines in NA (AFAIK).

Depending on the popularity of 4s, and EB, Ford may add 2.0 & 1.6 lines in NA, which would result in local assembly of EB.

And, IIRC, the base Mustang powertrain comes from Cologne & France

Edited by RichardJensen

OK, the GB Pound has declined in value against most currencies in the world and therefore Britain has become a cheaper place to manufacture. The comically high value of the Pound and general health of the UK economy was finally exposed as a masterful act of smoke and mirrors by the financial industry in the City of London. The value of pound is unlikely to rise significantly for many years as structurally the British economy has been too dependent on the finance industry for too long and manufacturing has declined to a point now that only significant external investment can reverse it's relative significance.

British wages whilst high by developing world standards are considerably less than for those in Germany and the US. British manufacturing unions have been emasculated (Maggie sorted that one out about 25 years ago), and industrial action has not been a problem for a generation now.

Perhaps most importantly is the 1.6 Sigma engine (that this GTDI variant is based off) has been solely made in Bridgend for the last 12 years plus. Therefore (depending on the volumes involved) expanding the capacity of the existing line and exporting is almost certainly cheaper than setting up a brand new line. This will be the same for the 2.0 litre Ecoboost that will be made in Valencia for the near future, however this engine has other manufacturing points throughout the world and this variant is likely to be rolled out sooner.

As for the mix of diesel to gasoline in European market, the forthcoming Euro 6 legislation will finally push diesel engines to a form of de-NOx strategy; either ultra-high EGR & regenerative de-NOx catalyst, or urea based SCR system. Therefore the cost of a diesel engine and it's after treatment will become prohibitive enough to swing back towards gasoline especially on the smaller and cheaper vehicles that don't have the margin to support it.

This is nothing new, we in the engine design/development business in Europe have known about this for a long time. This is why the european OEMs, Tier-1, and design houses (VAG/BMW/Bosch/Conti/AVL/FEV/Ricardo) have been at the forefront of implementation ready GTDI for many years. Diesel still has a future in Europe not least because it is still the most efficient prime-mover and in some European countries diesel remains cheaper than gasoline*. However diesels will tend to go in vehicles that have the margin to support it.

* Oldwizard - your point about european governments subsidising is only true in a few countries, the UK taxes both gasoline and diesel at the same rate making diesel generally more expensive per litre, others countries vary considerably

Unless Ford changes the way they are currently retailing EB equipped cars, I do not think it matters. What I mean is so far you cannot add EB as a stand alone option on the vehicles EB is offered on at this time.

To be able to get EB one needs to have a lot of other features included Yes?

So the real cost retail-wise for EB equipped vehicle is not a factor, at least not currently.

As mentioned once before: Ford has EU sourced base engines and transmissions in NA cars already. It's not as though the cost of EU assembly & shipment for an engine is so expensive as to require it be a 'luxury' add-on to an NA vehicle.

Which isn't to say that Ford shouldn't rationalize certain oddities, like, f'r instance building a RWD transmission in France

FoE has lot of Powertrain management control and I-4 Ecoboost program was championed by them.

Gosh, I hope they got their sums right, this could turn ugly/expensive with currency shifts.

I thought for sure they would have a plant in Mexico or at least the USA as a minimum.

This is old news most of FOE gasoline engines are made at Bridgend already, and most of its diesels are produced in Dagenham. Local governments pumped in a lot of money the Welsh pumped in over $20 million investment into getting Ecoboost up to speed at Bridgend. Brits are easiest to hire and fire in the world the British goverment have signed up to all the EU legislation that shafts you and omitted to sign up for anything that benefits you, it costs a company almost next to nothing to get rid of.

German workers are almost impossible fire and cost a fortune to get rid of, why do you think Ford are building the Fiesta in Germany when in could be built for a small fraction of the price in the Czech Republic with the reputation of higher build quality now than the Germans.

German Fiesta build quality in Europe is lengendary

1969941980.jpg

I sticking to Fords story, they are being built here in the UK because we build engines to a higher quality just like the Germans. :D

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Dearborn engine (I believe the only US plant set up to make I4 engines) is setup to make 2.5L engines. I believe the projected the volume for EcoBoost is low enough to not warrant changing that plant to make multiple different sized engines.

Dearborn engine (I believe the only US plant set up to make I4 engines) is setup to make 2.5L engines. I believe the projected the volume for EcoBoost is low enough to not warrant changing that plant to make multiple different sized engines.

They build the I4 2.0L in Mexico....

And as for Volume, I'd say all the cars that are supposed to get the 2.0L I4 would add up to at least a quarter million engines if not more

Explorer launches in late 2010. Word is, it will likely have 2.0L EcoBoost "available". Fusion likely will follow soon after.

Any word if 2011MY US Focus will have EcoBoost "available" at Job #1

off subject a tad...but there IS a Fusion AWD with the SHO engine circling the test tracks, and apparently its scary good......

They build the I4 2.0L in Mexico....

From what I know of the North American Plants

Chihuahua Engine builds 2.0L and 2.5L and used to build the 2.3L I4 except for the 2.3L I4 Ranger.

Dearborn Engine builds only 2.0L I4 now. It used to also build the 2.3L Ranger. It was not equipped to build balance shaft equipped I4 engines.

The 2.3L Ranger was the only 2.3L I4 without a balance shaft.