Custom Search

Welcome to Blue Oval Forums

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to Blue Oval Forums.  LIke most online communities, you must first please register to create topics and post replies.
Registration is a quick and easy process and only takes a minute.  Be apart of Blue Oval Forums by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members. . .

Guest Message by DevFuse

Ford News Around the Web
Photo
- - - - -

1999 Ford F250 SD 4x4 Transmission replacement options

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   ipopeye

ipopeye

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Joined 09-August 09

Posted 09 August 2009 - 04:09 PM

Hi All

My E4OD transmission is toast @ about 130000 miles. Do I have any options other than same transmission when I replace it? I tow some heavy loads occasionally.

Thanks

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   atomaro

atomaro

Hey man...

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 1,253 posts
  • Joined 10-January 07

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:37 PM

I believe you could go with the 4R70W. It was available in 99 and was used across the F series line and in the Lightning. You would have to research it more thoroughly for feasibility and what parts are needed for the swap.
Let me tell you what Melba Toast is packin' right here, all right. We got 4:11 Positrac outback, 750 double pumper, Edelbrock intake, bored over 30, 11 to 1 pop-up pistons, turbo-jet 390 horsepower. We're talkin' some f^ckin' muscle.

#3 OFFLINE   94bronco

94bronco

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 473 posts
  • Joined 04-June 08

Posted 09 August 2009 - 08:43 PM

Just build up the 4R100 ( It is not an E4OD but very similar), When built right they are awesome transmissions and will hold up to all the abuse you can throw at it.

Current Vehicles:
12 F250 SC Lariat 6.2
94 Bronco XLT 5.8 6 in. lift 4.56 gears and lots of other stuff

#4 OFFLINE   YT90SC

YT90SC

• Blue Oval Member
  • PipPip
  • 500 posts
  • Joined 28-July 04

Posted 10 August 2009 - 12:06 PM

Hi All

My E4OD transmission is toast @ about 130000 miles. Do I have any options other than same transmission when I replace it? I tow some heavy loads occasionally.

Thanks

REalistically, that is about the average service life you can expect from an E4OD. Any other trans is going to be a hassle to install. Your best bet, as stated is to get an upgraded one. Google BTS transmissions, there is an HD version from Ford and some local shops will offer upgraded trannies as well. Around here, Certified Transmission offers a "Road Ripper" which is an upgraded model. Whatever you do, be sure to replace the OTA cooler (the new stocker is much larger than the one that came in your truck) and flush the other cooler components. Also be sure that you install an inline filter.
Dad always said,"Knowledge is limited but stupidity knows no bounds."

#5 OFFLINE   Jeepman

Jeepman

New BON Member

• Blue Oval Member
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Joined 11-August 09

Posted 22 August 2009 - 08:25 AM

REalistically, that is about the average service life you can expect from an E4OD. Any other trans is going to be a hassle to install. Your best bet, as stated is to get an upgraded one. Google BTS transmissions, there is an HD version from Ford and some local shops will offer upgraded trannies as well. Around here, Certified Transmission offers a "Road Ripper" which is an upgraded model. Whatever you do, be sure to replace the OTA cooler (the new stocker is much larger than the one that came in your truck) and flush the other cooler components. Also be sure that you install an inline filter.

If you plan on keeping your truck as a puller and want a tranny that is bullet proof get on line and look at BTS transmissions. IMO he builds the best. Go into the diesel page forums and get a feel for they think also. There are others, like ATS which also has a good rep but if I would have ever had a problem I already figured I would go that route. Had their number programed into my phone and would have made that call in a heartbeat. For 3 grand you never have a tranny problem again. Not sure where your located but he is in Arkansas. Google him. 4 grand and some change and you will never look back.

Edited by Jeepman, 22 August 2009 - 08:41 AM.