1999 Ford F250 SD 4x4 Transmission replacement options

ipopeye

Hi All

My E4OD transmission is toast @ about 130000 miles. Do I have any options other than same transmission when I replace it? I tow some heavy loads occasionally.

Thanks

REalistically, that is about the average service life you can expect from an E4OD. Any other trans is going to be a hassle to install. Your best bet, as stated is to get an upgraded one. Google BTS transmissions, there is an HD version from Ford and some local shops will offer upgraded trannies as well. Around here, Certified Transmission offers a "Road Ripper" which is an upgraded model. Whatever you do, be sure to replace the OTA cooler (the new stocker is much larger than the one that came in your truck) and flush the other cooler components. Also be sure that you install an inline filter.

• 2 weeks later...
REalistically, that is about the average service life you can expect from an E4OD. Any other trans is going to be a hassle to install. Your best bet, as stated is to get an upgraded one. Google BTS transmissions, there is an HD version from Ford and some local shops will offer upgraded trannies as well. Around here, Certified Transmission offers a "Road Ripper" which is an upgraded model. Whatever you do, be sure to replace the OTA cooler (the new stocker is much larger than the one that came in your truck) and flush the other cooler components. Also be sure that you install an inline filter.

If you plan on keeping your truck as a puller and want a tranny that is bullet proof get on line and look at BTS transmissions. IMO he builds the best. Go into the diesel page forums and get a feel for they think also. There are others, like ATS which also has a good rep but if I would have ever had a problem I already figured I would go that route. Had their number programed into my phone and would have made that call in a heartbeat. For 3 grand you never have a tranny problem again. Not sure where your located but he is in Arkansas. Google him. 4 grand and some change and you will never look back.

Edited by Jeepman