"Dust" Particles Blowing From A/C Vents

Dragline

Has anyone noticed little particles of "dust" (not your normal dust, though) blowing from their vents when they first turn on their A/C? I have a 2009 Mariner and I noticed, on occasion, when starting the A/C, little particles of some kind of substance will blow out of the vents. I have the black interior, so it's very obvious, as it ends up on the passenger seat. Some of the particles resemble a non-shiny glitter. Others, are like little specs of a white chalk. (If I rub the particle across the seat, it actually leaves a little white, chalk-like streak).

Any thoughts as to what this could be? The A/C otherwise works great and I have no problems with the car at all. I'm just curious as to what this stuff might be, where it's coming from, and if it signals some future problem.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

My 2009 Escape Limited was also doing the same thing a few months back. It has not done it lately, so, I've just let it go. I was going to have a Dealer look at it, but the particles would not always come out of the vents, so i figured I would take it in and they would not be able to reproduce the issue. If you do find out anything, please let me know.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Has anyone noticed little particles of "dust" (not your normal dust, though) blowing from their vents when they first turn on their A/C? I have a 2009 Mariner and I noticed, on occasion, when starting the A/C, little particles of some kind of substance will blow out of the vents. I have the black interior, so it's very obvious, as it ends up on the passenger seat. Some of the particles resemble a non-shiny glitter. Others, are like little specs of a white chalk. (If I rub the particle across the seat, it actually leaves a little white, chalk-like streak).

Any thoughts as to what this could be? The A/C otherwise works great and I have no problems with the car at all. I'm just curious as to what this stuff might be, where it's coming from, and if it signals some future problem.

Thanks in advance for any responses!

Actually I noticed the same thing today coming out of the vents on my 09 Escape Limited ,black interior , I was assuming it was dust, but I will keep an eye on it now.

Actually I noticed the same thing today coming out of the vents on my 09 Escape Limited ,black interior , I was assuming it was dust, but I will keep an eye on it now.

We have this same problem in Iraq... except it covers all models of vehicle. If you use your A/C in recycling mode, it doesn't happen. However, in Iraq, if you use normal A/C (where it takes the air from outside) the dirt that collects on the intake vents gets blown in your face. This has happened to me twice... both times because someone else switched off the recycling.

Is it possible it's something collecting on your intake vents? Pollen? Dirt? Etc?

• 3 months later...

I finally got rid of the white chalky dust particles on my dash, dealer had to change evaporator core , all under warranty.

I think what you may be seeing is crushed up leaves and dust that came in through the opening at the base of the windshield. Also, if your vehicles had the writings and other markings that the dealers sometimes use to write their specials on the windshield, those debris may also have gotten in when the were prepping the vehicles for delivery since they merely scrape it with a razor and then wash the vehicles.

I think what you may be seeing is crushed up leaves and dust that came in through the opening at the base of the windshield. Also, if your vehicles had the writings and other markings that the dealers sometimes use to write their specials on the windshield, those debris may also have gotten in when the were prepping the vehicles for delivery since they merely scrape it with a razor and then wash the vehicles.

Nope, there is a TSB on the problem. It's particles of flux used in the manufacturing of the evaporator cores.

Nope, there is a TSB on the problem. It's particles of flux used in the manufacturing of the evaporator cores.

Based on the TSB, does this sound like a problem that will eventually "fix" itself? Or, do you think it would continue until the repair suggested by the TSB is made?

I have the problem, but it only seems to occur in the summer when the A/C is running a lot. If it doesn't sound like it will lead to a bigger problem in the future, and the particles blowing out will eventually go away, I may just skip this repair.

Based on the TSB, does this sound like a problem that will eventually "fix" itself? Or, do you think it would continue until the repair suggested by the TSB is made?

I have the problem, but it only seems to occur in the summer when the A/C is running a lot. If it doesn't sound like it will lead to a bigger problem in the future, and the particles blowing out will eventually go away, I may just skip this repair.

They blow it out with compressed air and vacuum as I remember. It may end by itself but how long will that take??