Disable AdvanceTrac Stability Control?

svtenthusiast

I just got back from a track event, which was a drivers school at the Gingerman Raceway road course. I wanted to take my 2010 Fusion Sport to see how it would track, but unfortuantly decided not to since I found out there is no way (through a customer interface) to disable the stability control.

Other 2010 Ford vehicles, such as the new Mustang, you hold down the "skidding car" button for 8 seconds, which disables the traction and stability control. Nothing but the traction control disables when pushing or holding the "skidding car" button on the Fusion.

I know these things are set in place to protect us from ourselves, but why have the button there if we don't have a choice to disable it, especially the Sport model? I am sure over time some one will get past the limitation, but for now I question why it's set up this way.

BTW, the only way to get this benefit on the 2010 Taurus SHO, is to buy the "performance package" so it's got to be a software setting.

I'am confused, my sport has the button and when you press it you are supposed to disable everything. I have pushed the button and found that the throttle limitation is eliminated (car has more zip and the tires spin a little, I haven't punched the gas yet), noticed slip when driving on dirt roads.

I just got back from a track event, which was a drivers school at the Gingerman Raceway road course. I wanted to take my 2010 Fusion Sport to see how it would track, but unfortuantly decided not to since I found out there is no way (through a customer interface) to disable the stability control.

Other 2010 Ford vehicles, such as the new Mustang, you hold down the "skidding car" button for 8 seconds, which disables the traction and stability control. Nothing but the traction control disables when pushing or holding the "skidding car" button on the Fusion.

I know these things are set in place to protect us from ourselves, but why have the button there if we don't have a choice to disable it, especially the Sport model? I am sure over time some one will get past the limitation, but for now I question why it's set up this way.

BTW, the only way to get this benefit on the 2010 Taurus SHO, is to buy the "performance package" so it's got to be a software setting.

Hi svtenthusiast. :D If you check your Owners Manual, you will find this passage (I copied and pasted it directly from the 2010 Manual):

Switching Off AdvanceTrac

If the vehicle is stuck in snow, mud or sand, and seems to lose engine

power, switching off certain features of the AdvanceTrac system may be

beneficial because the wheels are allowed to spin. This will restore full

engine power and will enhance momentum through the obstacle.

To switch off the AdvanceTrac

system press the AdvanceTrac

control switch. Full features of the

AdvanceTrac system can be

restored by pressing the

AdvanceTrac control switch again

or by turning off and restarting the engine.

When the AdvanceTrac system is

off, the “sliding car off” icon will

illuminate steadily. Pressing the

will turn off the “sliding car off”

icon.

As you can see, it can be turned off.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi svtenthusiast. :D If you check your Owners Manual, you will find this passage (I copied and pasted it directly from the 2010 Manual):

Switching Off AdvanceTrac

If the vehicle is stuck in snow, mud or sand, and seems to lose engine

power, switching off certain features of the AdvanceTrac system may be

beneficial because the wheels are allowed to spin. This will restore full

engine power and will enhance momentum through the obstacle.

To switch off the AdvanceTrac

system press the AdvanceTrac

control switch. Full features of the

AdvanceTrac system can be

restored by pressing the

or by turning off and restarting the engine.

When the AdvanceTrac system is

off, the “sliding car off” icon will

illuminate steadily. Pressing the

will turn off the “sliding car off”

icon.

As you can see, it can be turned off.

Good luck. :beerchug:

My '09 FEH manual says the same thing. My Daughter's friend had a Mustang GT and wanted to show off by turning that system off. He had 3 other of her friends in this convertible one night and loss control and flipped the car. Two of the girls had serious injuries and the driver and the other boy were killed. The friend that lived remembered him turning off the system just before the accident. Not sure if Ford is now just allowing the engine power to spin the wheels but keeping RSC activated for reasons like this.

I appreciate everyone's reply, but believe me I am technical enough to know what is going on here. I guess Ford calls both the traction control and stability control packaged together as "Advancetrac". I am speaking about just the stability control portion, which would engage in hard cornering at the track---which is not good when you don't expect it. Here is the chart from the owners manual. I am looking at the "ESC" column.

advancetracktable.bmp

My '09 FEH manual says the same thing. My Daughter's friend had a Mustang GT and wanted to show off by turning that system off. He had 3 other of her friends in this convertible one night and loss control and flipped the car. Two of the girls had serious injuries and the driver and the other boy were killed. The friend that lived remembered him turning off the system just before the accident. Not sure if Ford is now just allowing the engine power to spin the wheels but keeping RSC activated for reasons like this.

Was this a 2010 Mustang? The Advancetrac stability control was just added to the 2010's and it can be disabled (at least on the GT's). Before 2010, Mustangs only had traction control.

Was this a 2010 Mustang? The Advancetrac stability control was just added to the 2010's and it can be disabled (at least on the GT's). Before 2010, Mustangs only had traction control.

It was not a 2010 GT because this happen a few years back. When I first heard about the kid turning the traction control off I didn't understand that he purposely wanted more power and to spin out the vehicle. All the kids had been out drinking and whatever else at 3am in the morning but my daughter had already made it home when we got the phone call.

I've only been following the FEH and this is my only (2009) FEH with RSC. My point was your switch may only let you have enough engine power to spin the wheels when stuck but not disable the entire system.

In the State of Florida if you crash your vehicle on a race track your car insurance does not have to pay any claims. Also, my '09 FEH has a sort of black box where Ford can investigate the history of your driving before a crash. You can bet your insurance company would subpoena the information for their protection if they had to.

I use to take my '67 GT 500 and my other vehicles racing at the track before I knew the laws of insurance when I was certified as an all lines agent. No way I'd risk that today.

Darwin must not be interfered with. :reading:

It was not a 2010 GT because this happen a few years back. When I first heard about the kid turning the traction control off I didn't understand that he purposely wanted more power and to spin out the vehicle. All the kids had been out drinking and whatever else at 3am in the morning but my daughter had already made it home when we got the phone call.

I've only been following the FEH and this is my only (2009) FEH with RSC. My point was your switch may only let you have enough engine power to spin the wheels when stuck but not disable the entire system.

Where were the parents?

:reading:

Nothing good happens to teenagers after midnight.