03-06 Expy

ctc

• 6 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 months later...

Knowing what I do today I would run from this age range of expedition...

About 7 months ago I bought a 2005 expy 5.4L 99K miles, I replaced the front end of the motor, cam-phasers, chains, tentioners the works now at 108K miles started with all the classic signs of cam-phaser failure (rough idle, stalling, sounds like a diesel). I attempted every fix possible to no avail, I took it to our Ford dealer and they said low oil pressure has caused cylinder wall damage= NEW ENGINE.

I bought a re-manned engine from a local shop with upgraded oil pump and ratcheting tentioners to avoid chain slap and new VVT solenoids. I installed it and have the exact same problems. I get a P0012 for bank 1 over retarded. I'm sooo angry that I've spent $4500 and nothing was fixed. I think there is a PCM issue or wiring problem. However the dealership cannot diagnose it

Sounds like the chain is out of time. The issue with the timing chain tensioners is the gaskets would blow out and leak oil past the tensioner and give it a rattle until oil pressure over came the leak. In turn starve the head for a few seconds of oil every start. Does it still rattle?

Edited by fordtech1

Sounds like the chain is out of time. The issue with the timing chain tensioners is the gaskets would blow out and leak oil past the tensioner and give it a rattle until oil pressure over came the leak. In turn starve the head for a few seconds of oil every start. Does it still rattle?

The new motor does not rattle at startup, but after it gets warm it sounds like a diesel running. The new motor has an upgraded oil pump and ratcheting tentioners instead of the hydraulic driven ones from ford. I'm trying to get rid of the diesel sound, I'm sure it cannot be good.