Cabin Air Filter on '10 Fusion?

2010SEL

According to the 2010 Ford Fusion Order Guide, all 2010 Fusions have a cabin air filter:

...INTERIOR

New:

— Cabin Air Filter

— Hybrid Gauge Cluster with Twin LCD...

Anyone know where it is hidden and why my owners manual says nothing about it? I looked behind/above the glove box, as well as under the hood and cowl areas. Could not find a filter or any apparent access covers or housings. On every other car I've had with a cabin filter it was easy to find/change DIY. Hopefully they didn't make this a "dealer-only" maintenance item.

According to the 2010 Ford Fusion Order Guide, all 2010 Fusions have a cabin air filter:

...INTERIOR

�� New:

— Cabin Air Filter

— Hybrid Gauge Cluster with Twin LCD...

Anyone know where it is hidden and why my owners manual says nothing about it? I looked behind/above the glove box, as well as under the hood and cowl areas. Could not find a filter or any apparent access covers or housings. On every other car I've had with a cabin filter it was easy to find/change DIY. Hopefully they didn't make this a "dealer-only" maintenance item.

Hi 2010SEL. :D It is my understanding that the Fusion does have a replaceable filter. On earlier Fusions (and my money is also on this being true for the 2010) the filter housing is located behind the glove compartment door. You need to remove the door to access the housing. There are tabs on each side of the glove compartment that must be released and a tether cord on one side that also must be released to move the glove compartment door out of the way. You will then be bale to see and open the air filter housing door.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Hi 2010SEL. :D It is my understanding that the Fusion does have a replaceable filter. On earlier Fusions (and my money is also on this being true for the 2010) the filter housing is located behind the glove compartment door. You need to remove the door to access the housing. There are tabs on each side of the glove compartment that must be released and a tether cord on one side that also must be released to move the glove compartment door out of the way. You will then be bale to see and open the air filter housing door.

Well, I looked everywhere, including behind and above the glove box, and could not find a filter. Even pulled the glove box door out completely, and could see nothing behind it.

It's everywhere on their material but nowhere in the owners manual:

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2010_Fo...sion_Hybrid.pdf

Perhaps one could contact a service department to see if they have any info on this filter. If there's no answer by next week I'll see if I can find out when I pick up my Fusion.

There is an air filter, but I don't think it is serviceable. I saw a ford statement to the effect that they expect the filter to last the life of the car. There was another post I saw somewhere that pretty much stated the filter was extremely difficult to get at and that it is obviously not a routine maintenance item.

There is an air filter, but I don't think it is serviceable. I saw a ford statement to the effect that they expect the filter to last the life of the car. There was another post I saw somewhere that pretty much stated the filter was extremely difficult to get at and that it is obviously not a routine maintenance item.

Here s the answer

good luck

cab_filter.pdf

Thanks. That doesn't look all that tough to change. I have bad allergies, so I'll be changing it a lot more often than they say to, probably every Spring. Really glad to see that there actually is a filter. They sure didn't make it easy to locate did they?

Good, that question if finally answered. I just couldn't see having a lifetime filter. My contour filter was mounted in front of the windshield and you had to take a lot of stuff out to get to it and it was a very expensive filter. I changed that every few oil changes. My altima had one behind the glove box. I also changed that expensive filter often since it really does pick up a lot of stuff. After I changed my home air filter from a electrostatic (not plugged in filter) to a really good electronic filter, i made my own filter and could rinse it off every few months and it worked great. Also, if you go to walmart you can pick up a piece of carbon filter from one of those home air filters and put that on top of the filter and that gets rid of even more stuff.

Thanks. Do you know if it is supposed to be cleaned/changed as part of any routine maintenance cycles?

Hi nelsonlu. :D EDIT - I just had the chance to check my MKZ Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Here is the copy and paste: 15,000 miles - Replace cabin air filter (if equipped).

If you want to verify my information, you would have been given the Scheduled Maintenance Guide Booklet, along with the Owners Manual and Warranty Guide Booklet when you purchased your Fusion.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi nelsonlu. :D EDIT - I just had the chance to check my MKZ Scheduled Maintenance Guide. Here is the copy and paste: 15,000 miles - Replace cabin air filter (if equipped).

If you want to verify my information, you would have been given the Scheduled Maintenance Guide Booklet, along with the Owners Manual and Warranty Guide Booklet when you purchased your Fusion.

Thanks. Will do.

Thanks. That doesn't look all that tough to change. I have bad allergies, so I'll be changing it a lot more often than they say to, probably every Spring. Really glad to see that there actually is a filter. They sure didn't make it easy to locate did they?

Here is my opinion, if u have serious problems with air quality,

change it twice a year (depending the environment you live)

Anyway, your health value more that the price of this filter

Good luck

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Does anyone know how the filter door comes off. I dont want to break it!

Hi Helmut. :D Not sure if you noticed, but if you reread post #6 (by "b1rnvv86), there is a pdf file you can download. It is a pdf file of the Service Manual page explaining/diagramming the procedure to access and change the cabin air filter. If you look at the text and diagrams, it is pretty self explanatory.

Hope this information helps.

Edited by bbf2530

Hi Helmut. :D Not sure if you noticed, but if you reread post #6 (by "b1rnvv86), there is a pdf file you can download. It is a pdf file of the Service Manual page explaining/diagramming the procedure to access and change the cabin air filter. If you look at the text and diagrams, it is pretty self explanatory.

Hope this information helps.

Hi BBF :beerchug:

I have come to greatly respect your answers. They are alway very helpful and detailed.... but.....

I must be dumber than I look.

I read step (1).... "Remove the glove compartment".

Do I press the "Glove Compartment Eject" button or use my sawzall? :banghead:

Step (2).... Detach and remove the cabin air filter access door".

Seriously, I think Helmut was looking for a little detail. For people who have never removed the glove compartment, it can be a little daunting to figure out which plastic tabs to bend (without breaking them) to carry out the steps in the shop manual. I have not tried to do it in my Fusion, but I remember one of my vehicles I had to squeeze the sides of the door together to have the tabs clear to "drop" the door all the way open. Maybe, once I actually try to remove the glove compartment, it will be very obvious and simple.

I am an engineer, and normally can figure out how to follow detailed instructions. But the instructions that have only pictures sometimes leave me :headscratch: Which screw? What is that symbol?, etc.

I printed out the pdf of the cabin filter and intend to fold it and put in my owner's manual in the car for reference. At least I will know where to start.

Anyway, thanks for your consistent help in all these forums. You are a real asset to all of us. :beerchug:

Hi BBF :beerchug:

I have come to greatly respect your answers. They are alway very helpful and detailed.... but.....

I must be dumber than I look.

I read step (1).... "Remove the glove compartment".

Do I press the "Glove Compartment Eject" button or use my sawzall? :banghead:

Step (2).... Detach and remove the cabin air filter access door".

Seriously, I think Helmut was looking for a little detail. For people who have never removed the glove compartment, it can be a little daunting to figure out which plastic tabs to bend (without breaking them) to carry out the steps in the shop manual. I have not tried to do it in my Fusion, but I remember one of my vehicles I had to squeeze the sides of the door together to have the tabs clear to "drop" the door all the way open. Maybe, once I actually try to remove the glove compartment, it will be very obvious and simple.

I am an engineer, and normally can figure out how to follow detailed instructions. But the instructions that have only pictures sometimes leave me :headscratch: Which screw? What is that symbol?, etc.

I printed out the pdf of the cabin filter and intend to fold it and put in my owner's manual in the car for reference. At least I will know where to start.

Anyway, thanks for your consistent help in all these forums. You are a real asset to all of us. :beerchug:

Hi rpreuss. :D Just on a lighter note first...how do I begin this reply? Of course you are not dumber than you look? No that does not sound right. Of course you are smarter than you look? No, that isn't good either. You definitely are smarter than you look? No, still not very nice. Of course, because no one could be that dumb? No, another bad one. Why certainly you must be smarter than you look? No way. No matter how I try to phrase it, the words just don't come out right! :hysterical:

Just kidding of course, I say that all the time too ("I'm not as dumb as I look"), so I know what you mean.

Anyway, seriously: I understand what you are saying. However, in my defense, Helmut only asked how to remove the filter door. Not how to remove the glove box door. I took what Helmut specifically asked "Does anyone know how the filter door comes off. I don't want to break it!", to mean that he already knew how to remove the glove box door (since he did not ask for instructions on how to take off the glove box door). So I answered on the assumption that if he wanted directions for removing the glove box door, he would have asked for directions to remove the glove box door. More simply put, I provided an answer to the question he asked. :shrug:

If I was mistaken, I will take the hit for that, although it was certainly an honest mistake. However, I did answer the question Helmut asked, by letting him know exactly where the Service Manual instructions could be downloaded. And to me, looking at the diagrams make it obvious where the release tabs for the air filter door were located. And that was what he asked for. Like I said, I will take the hit if I was mistaken, but it was certainly an honest mistake.

I would also like to add in my own defense (please understand that I mean no disrespect, just defending myself in a mostly lighthearted and joking manner, but also perhaps a slightly educational manner): If anyone ever feels that one of my answers (or the answer of anyone else) are lacking some detail, feel free to politely add the missing details instead of complaining/pointing out that my answer lacked detail. After all, if we think about it, it takes the same amount of energy to type in the missing detail as it does to tell me that I should have provided more detail. In other words, any of us are free to add more details to any answer, if we wish. So if you don't know the detail but feel I should have added it, keep in mind that maybe I gave all the details I was able to (or that I don't know any more than you did either).

I guess the "sort-of moral of the story" is to always put yourself in the other persons shoes before you criticize them. :angel:

I live by the philosophy of treating others as I wish to be treated myself. So in a case like this one, when I feel that I can add more detail to someones reply (or they just did not give enough detail in the first place), I respectfully just add the detail in my reply, as opposed to telling them their answer needed more detail.

Again, I know you meant no harm and were only expressing an opinion, so please do not take my reply in the wrong way. I guess I am just lightly defending myself with my own opinion. Sorry for the term paper. :headspin:

And thank you for the complements concerning the forums.

PS - And one last time, just to make it perfectly clear: I truly mean no harm or offense, just giving you my perspective.

Edited by bbf2530

Get under there and look at it! If it isn't obvious to you how it comes apart at that point, then you probably should not be attempting the job at all. In the time it took to write the posts above, you could have taken it apart, replaced the filter, and put it back together.

Edited by 2010SEL

Here is a response from 8/23/09 (#64) I posted in the Non Hybrid/ General Discussion category. Hope this helps anyone attempting to access the air filter.

Because of a dusty road trip earlier this summer I decided to check my cabin air filter. Despite all the dust that entered the car, the filter paper was surprisingly clean. A few gnats and some larger particles got trapped but were easily blown out with my compressor. Under normal conditions my guess is the filter can last 3 to 5 years before it needs to be changed. I printed the Removal and Installation instructions from another thread, it was good for identifying the parts but lacked any removal detail. Here's how I did it:

1. Open glove box

2. Push the side walls inward so the rubber stops clear.

3. Detach the retractable string by prying the tab outward. String will retract but is still accessible.

4. Pull box to the floor.

5. Insert a screwdriver in the two slots at each end of the access door and pull out. The right side of the door may need to be pulled downward to get past a non removable tubular part. The small vertical bolts you see are not a part of this process.

6. Reach in with your fingers, fold inward the paper tab at the top of the filter element on the right side and pull filter out. The filter needs to be pulled downward on the right side to get past the tubular part.

7. To insert the filter the right side paper tab again needs to be folded down and maneuvered past the tube.

8. Make sure the hinges at the bottom of the glove box have not detached.

9. Close the glove box, push the sides inward so the stops clear, reattach the retractable string, close the door and voilà, that's it. :beerchug:

No scraped knuckles and the only tool needed was a screwdriver.

Edited by transitman

Here is a response from 8/23/09 (#64) I posted in the Non Hybrid/ General Discussion category. Hope this helps anyone attempting to access the air filter.

Because of a dusty road trip earlier this summer I decided to check my cabin air filter. Despite all the dust that entered the car, the filter paper was surprisingly clean. A few gnats and some larger particles got trapped but were easily blown out with my compressor. Under normal conditions my guess is the filter can last 3 to 5 years before it needs to be changed. I printed the Removal and Installation instructions from another thread, it was good for identifying the parts but lacked any removal detail. Here's how I did it:

1. Open glove box

2. Push the side walls inward so the rubber stops clear.

3. Detach the retractable string by prying the tab outward. String will retract but is still accessible.

4. Pull box to the floor.

5. Insert a screwdriver in the two slots at each end of the access door and pull out. The right side of the door may need to be pulled downward to get past a non removable tubular part. The small vertical bolts you see are not a part of this process.

6. Reach in with your fingers, fold inward the paper tab at the top of the filter element on the right side and pull filter out. The filter needs to be pulled downward on the right side to get past the tubular part.

7. To insert the filter the right side paper tab again needs to be folded down and maneuvered past the tube.

8. Make sure the hinges at the bottom of the glove box have not detached.

9. Close the glove box, push the sides inward so the stops clear, reattach the retractable string, close the door and voilà, that's it. :beerchug:

No scraped knuckles and the only tool needed was a screwdriver.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know part numbers for the cabin air filter other then ford. I am having a problem trying to find one

I don't know of any aftermarket cabin filters for the Fusion. If you don't already have it, the Ford part number is: 19N619, Cabin air filter.

I did a quick Google search and only found: www.rockauto.com Motorcraft part # FP67, $8.18 each.

Edited by transitman

• 1 month later...

I picked up two cabin air filters from Rockauto's website. They arrived within a few days and did the install. The origional one was full of what looked like mold. I disinfected the filter box and I am good to go. I suggest that anyone buying one get a few since I think they are going to be changed out twice a year no matte what the ford suggestions are. We have had so much pollen and rain that for the money changing is the way to go

I picked up two cabin air filters from Rockauto's website. They arrived within a few days and did the install. The origional one was full of what looked like mold. I disinfected the filter box and I am good to go. I suggest that anyone buying one get a few since I think they are going to be changed out twice a year no matte what the ford suggestions are. We have had so much pollen and rain that for the money changing is the way to go

Changed mine after 15K miles. Man was there a lot of junk in it! As an allergy sufferer, I'm sure glad Ford chose to put these in the cars.

• Like 1