Bring back the Excursion - 2010 Excursion

mizzitch

The US needs a large diesel SUV and the used Excursions are getting up there in mileage.

The Exped EL's suspension is not for real truck guys or for towing heavy. (IMHO the Exped EL's are not good looking)

My 120# newfoundland likes riding inside an SUV w/ A/C in summer, so a F-350 is not that great of option.

See the 2010+ Super Duty thread for items that should be included in the next Excursion as well as SD.

Extra windows that don't open on the roof similar to the Land Rover LR3 would be a neat feature for the Excursion.

• Like 1

The US needs a large diesel SUV and the used Excursions are getting up there in mileage.

The Exped EL's suspension is not for real truck guys or for towing heavy. (IMHO the Exped EL's are not good looking)

My 120# newfoundland likes riding inside an SUV w/ A/C in summer, so a F-350 is not that great of option.

See the 2010+ Super Duty thread for items that should be included in the next Excursion as well as SD.

Extra windows that don't open on the roof similar to the Land Rover LR3 would be a neat feature for the Excursion.

I don't think it will happen, but until then, try an F-250 Crew Cab.

I don't think it will happen, but until then, try an F-250 Crew Cab.

Or a Super Duty with a bed cap. Just open the rear window of the cab and it becomes air conditioned. :)

I think Ford missed out on a big segment of the Excursion market when it was available by not offering a stripped down XL version with vinyl seats and rubber floors. Could have become a popular option for hauling work crews and weather-sensitive gear around job sites. Ah well.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Or a Super Duty with a bed cap. Just open the rear window of the cab and it becomes air conditioned. :)

I think Ford missed out on a big segment of the Excursion market when it was available by not offering a stripped down XL version with vinyl seats and rubber floors. Could have become a popular option for hauling work crews and weather-sensitive gear around job sites. Ah well.

They did offer one.

Matthew

I agree Ford needs to bring back the Excursion. This time do not market it to soccer moms and do not call it an Excursion but instead a Super Duty Crew Max that should help separate it from the SUV's. Ford comprimised the Excursion's suspension, ride and handeling trying to keep it under 7ft to fit in the standard garage to please the soccer mom crowd and that was a mistake it should have been marketed as a Super Duty with a higher passenger capacity instead it got lumped in with the soccer mom SUV's & that assosiation is what killed it.

My Excursion gets used like a truck (not an suv) and it can seat 7 (I have the quad captains chairs) But they can be configured to seat up to 8 just like a standard E series van. And and after market 4 th row seating is avalible to boost it to 10.

Ford could bring it back but they can not market it as an SUV but as a Super Duty with a higher passenger capacity.

Matthew

• Like 2

Yeah, I kind of agree, Ford needs to bring back the Excursion again....maybe they could do an on off cycle...

make X number of Excursions. X being the number Ford needs to produce in order to gain profit... and build that number of exursions every 2- 4 years.. By not building them for a while they create demand...then when they are built again the demand is answered...no one wants them...the Eco crowd despises them...Ford takes them off the market again for 2-4 years creating demand and repeating the cycle....

Most I remember seeing and the ones I see around today are Limited models.

You have to rember the newest Excursion is nearly 5 years old now. Most comercial trucks used in the types of indusrty they would have been used in have already been retired. ETS has one still for pushing and towing busses short distances when they break down (just to clear the road) CN had a few no retired. The oil feild genrally only keeps stuf fa few years till iit is either retired or junked.

I have seen several base Excursions out here. The base excursion was just called Excursion with no trim levels affixed to them. The market is there for them. Just not in 50K a year numbers. but 20 K A year would not be unresonable and the mark up on the units is huge. Ans since the super duty frame is a sectional frame it is no big deal to accomodate it. Like most SUV's the back half of the body will be good for years and years. Really the only unique parts in them are the back sheet metal and rear and dutch doors and rear interior panels. Every thign else came from the super duty and E series parts pin.

Matthew

You have to rember the newest Excursion is nearly 5 years old now. Most comercial trucks used in the types of indusrty they would have been used in have already been retired. ETS has one still for pushing and towing busses short distances when they break down (just to clear the road) CN had a few no retired. The oil feild genrally only keeps stuf fa few years till iit is either retired or junked.

I have seen several base Excursions out here. The base excursion was just called Excursion with no trim levels affixed to them. The market is there for them. Just not in 50K a year numbers. but 20 K A year would not be unresonable and the mark up on the units is huge. Ans since the super duty frame is a sectional frame it is no big deal to accomodate it. Like most SUV's the back half of the body will be good for years and years. Really the only unique parts in them are the back sheet metal and rear and dutch doors and rear interior panels. Every thign else came from the super duty and E series parts pin.

Matthew

That's true, I didn't think of that.

• 4 weeks later...

2005 Excursion Limited, 28,000 miles, just went for $38,900 on autotrader.

Build a 6.4L Excursion already and quit pandering to the environmentalists. Global warming is a fraud bigger than anthing ever imagined on wall street.

2005 Excursion Limited, 28,000 miles, just went for $38,900 on autotrader.

Build a 6.4L Excursion already and quit pandering to the environmentalists. Global warming is a fraud bigger than anthing ever imagined on wall street.

If the first Excursion still sold well, they'd still be building it. But with the even smaller Expedition seemingly doomed to live beneath 5000 sales per month, chances of an even larger SUV ever returning are slim to none.

I would not use the word doomed. Low volume vehicles can have good profit margins that make up for the slow sales.

Vehicles such as the following are not doomed - they just have a loyal, but small following of buyers:

S550

Range Rover

G550

Ranger

It would not be necessary to redesign the Excursion, just pull parts from the Super Duty bin. 3v V10, 6.4L, 3v 5.4, Nav, new dash, etc. Easy 15,000 to 30,000 Ex's could be sold a year.

If the first Excursion still sold well, they'd still be building it. But with the even smaller Expedition seemingly doomed to live beneath 5000 sales per month, chances of an even larger SUV ever returning are slim to none.

Unfortunately, Nick is right here. Wish it were not so.

We have one of those 2000 red/gold exterior, camel interior, limiteds that we ordered new and took delivery on 12/10/99.

The truck has helped move everyone in our family at least once, and still looks almost new, inside & out. Someone in the family is always borrowing it to take 8 folks tailgating with tables/chairs/grills/tent, go to a regional baseball tournament for the kids, or purchase outdoor furniture and take it home with them in one trip, etc. (ALL INSIDE) Although we have towed with it, we do not do so regularly. The V-10 runs like a swiss watch and gets 15.7 highway mileage loaded (2WD, ordered with tallest gear ratio avalable, Amsoil and keeping under 75 mph). No problems other than all 4 door lock actuators that were replaced earlier this year.

Just 2 weeks ago our local dealer sent us a letter offering to trade and 'upgrade our Excursion with something new and better' ..... wife & looked at one another and asked ourselves just what currently in the line would be an 'upgrade'? The EL Expedition is an OK vehicle but just does not make it for what the Exursion handles routinely for us.

We would strongly consider another if available when (or if) this one ever wears out. (Obviously one that would achieve 20 MPG 'all around' would be appreciated! :shades: )

• 2 months later...

You can put all the safari windows you want on an Excursion but it is still just a gutless, over-weight, ill-handling station wagon. About as glamorous as shit on a bun.

I've been stuck behind enough of them in the mountains or along the river road to know they are not designed to go around a corner above 30 mph. And woe if it snows, I don't care if it's equipped with 4-wheel drive, they are the first ones you see in the ditch.

People stopped buying them after all the guys with under-sized d*cks bought them for their wives and figured out they weren't all that cool anyway. A few years back they were 1 out of every 10 cars I would see on the road but I can't remember the last time I saw one actually moving.

You can put all the safari windows you want on an Excursion but it is still just a gutless, over-weight, ill-handling station wagon. About as glamorous as shit on a bun.

I've been stuck behind enough of them in the mountains or along the river road to know they are not designed to go around a corner above 30 mph. And woe if it snows, I don't care if it's equipped with 4-wheel drive, they are the first ones you see in the ditch.

People stopped buying them after all the guys with under-sized d*cks bought them for their wives and figured out they weren't all that cool anyway. A few years back they were 1 out of every 10 cars I would see on the road but I can't remember the last time I saw one actually moving.

:headscratch:

1 out of every 10 huh? I'll chalk it up to you being a newbie. Welcome to the boards.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Ford Management -

Build the Excursion! It is a big part of what makes America great. The city dwellers can have their Prius' or Prei, whatever the plural is for small and cramped. The Excursion says traditional American family with 3 kids and two dogs all over it.

The Expedition with IRS and IFS is not an SUV. It is an overweight underpowered car!

If customers are willing to buy a $50k 2009 F-350 and convert it to an Excursion for an additional $27k (see customautosbytim.com), a new Ex would sell for $55k directly from Ford lots without issue.

Do not claim that selling 50,000 units per year is too low. Many brands sell well under that and manage to be profitable - take the Ridgeline for example.

The Chevy Surburban is more of an SUV, with its solid rear axle, than the Exped.

An Exped could never plow snow or pull a 10,000 # trailer with ease.