Do Republicans think it helps to have such radical spokespeople?

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean really, Rush Limbaugh, Sean Hannity, Mark Levin, Mike Church, Andrew Wilkow, and the others, really? They are some of the most bigoted, closed minded, insulting people I have ever heard. I can't imagine that it's helping the cause.

If you consider them "spokespeople" who speak for (all) Republicans, you may want to reconsider who exactly has the closed mind.

If you consider them "spokespeople" who speak for (all) Republicans, you may want to reconsider who exactly has the closed mind.

Well, I would agree, except, Limbaugh has ratings of over 20M, Hannity somewhere over 10M, and Levin over 5M. I don't know what the ratings of the other two are. That's a lot of people. That's a large percentage of the Republican Party (assuming the vast majority are Republicans). Also, some on here espouse the same views, so it makes me wonder, are they really, the conservative majority, as they claim?

Last time I checked, no one on your list holds a leadership position in the GOP, or was a keynote speaker at the last convention. So there's your answer.

And the republican party has over 70 million registered members, so maybe a third pay attention to the guys you're mentioning.

Edited by V8 Ford

There are plenty of people on the liberal side that fit that description as well. As an independent, I pretty much ignore all of them.

I completely agree with you there. People like Lynn Samuels disgust me as well.

What really bothers me and the reason I posted this is because of the way that most of these hosts have started treating people with even a somewhat dissimilar view. Levin (well, he always did that) is the worst offender. Quite frankly, I can't believe he still has a microphone.

Look, I don't like extreme views of any kind, but what these people are doing, I would say, is damaging to humanity. They are driving huge wedges between people based on simple ideology. You can agree, you can make your points, you can think what you want, fine, but what these people do, on the air (Sean Hannity is less of a culprit than the rest) is derogatory, sexist, sometimes racist, and often disgusting.

I completely agree with you there. People like Lynn Samuels disgust me as well.

What really bothers me and the reason I posted this is because of the way that most of these hosts have started treating people with even a somewhat dissimilar view. Levin (well, he always did that) is the worst offender. Quite frankly, I can't believe he still has a microphone.

you answered your own question and few post above...he attracts an audience....these are commerical endeavors.....left-leaning radio/TV just can't attract the numbers to be commerically successful....why do you think the dems want to enact the so-called "fairness doctrine"?

Well, I would agree, except, Limbaugh has ratings of over 20M, Hannity somewhere over 10M, and Levin over 5M. I don't know what the ratings of the other two are. That's a lot of people. That's a large percentage of the Republican Party (assuming the vast majority are Republicans). Also, some on here espouse the same views, so it makes me wonder, are they really, the conservative majority, as they claim?

There is a difference between the man and the message. If your argument is with a specific viewpoint (or opinion), you should make it. I don't know how many "ditto-heads" are around, but I'm pretty confident that Rush (et al) says many things that Republicans don't agree with; certainly true in my case.

It's not like you're arguing with a man who says the sky is orange, although both sides would have you believe that about the other.

But when a person disregards everything Rush/Hannity/et al says, without considering if a point they make is valid or not, simply because the person deems them "closed minded", what does that say about the person? It tells me he is either closed minded himself, or is simply not that confident in his own argument.

It tells me he is either closed minded himself, or is simply not that confident in his own argument.

I am quite confident in my own argument....no, that's not true. I am very nonrigid in my views and they shift as I learn more. I listen to Levin all the time...when I feel like letting frustration out. The thing is, he really has no points to make. None. He gets through the entire day calling people funny names, pukes, libs, etc. Rush does the same as do the rest (again, Hannity less so). If he had a point to make, then it would be different. I'm thinking now that maybe I shouldn't have included Hannity in my original post, but even he has gotten far more aggressive since the beginning of the year.

I am quite confident in my own argument....no, that's not true. I am very nonrigid in my views and they shift as I learn more. I listen to Levin all the time...when I feel like letting frustration out. The thing is, he really has no points to make. None. He gets through the entire day calling people funny names, pukes, libs, etc. Rush does the same as do the rest (again, Hannity less so). If he had a point to make, then it would be different. I'm thinking now that maybe I shouldn't have included Hannity in my original post, but even he has gotten far more aggressive since the beginning of the year.

{I find myself wondering why you listen to Levin "all the time" to let out frustration. Perhaps you have too much stress in your life?}

Can you give me an example of a point that Levin/Rush make that you disagree with?

What I'm asking for is not an instance of name-calling, or making fun of, others. That's just empty banter. Simply something they said that makes you believe that nothing they say could be worth hearing?

{I find myself wondering why you listen to Levin "all the time" to let out frustration. Perhaps you have too much stress in your life?}

I have a very stress free life. I enjoy hearing all opinions...even if I don't agree with them.

Can you give me an example of a point that Levin/Rush make that you disagree with?

What I'm asking for is not an instance of name-calling, or making fun of, others. That's just empty banter. Simply something they said that makes you believe that nothing they say could be worth hearing?

Ok....is everything that Obama does bad? They seem to think so. Even if he does something that they should like (signing the order to free the Captain from the pirates) they criticize it and say that he did nothing or he did something he didn't even have to do. No credit can ever be given to the other side it seems.

If someone in their own party doesn't agree with them, then they're traitors or pseudo conservatives.

Every tax is bad. Every service provided by the government is bad.

I've seen other studies before and I can't find them at the time. This one deals specifically with mobile media use during the campaign.

http://www.marketingcharts.com/direct/mobi...affiliationjpg/

this study is dealing with mobile media use...there were no comparisons to TV/radio......try again....

why do you think they have such large audiences?....could it be that people like thier message?....and why can't the left have success in those markets?....

could it be that people like thier message?

I would hope it wouldn't be that scary. The right has always had the radio airwaves. They yell and make a big deal about things...and I suppose it's more exciting...I really don't know. On TV, there are 3 news stations. One is left leaning, one is right leaning, and one is in the middle. It seems that people no longer want news from the middle, which is scary. It also seems that right leaning people are more news junkies than left leaning people.

The survey was showing that people on the left are more likely to use new media. It can be extrapolated from that they are less likely to use old media. It is also true that younger people tend to be left wing and tend to use more new technology. That fact is part of the reason that Obama did so well in his campaign. He capitalized on the internet and it helped him greatly.

There is a difference between the man and the message. If your argument is with a specific viewpoint (or opinion), you should make it. I don't know how many "ditto-heads" are around, but I'm pretty confident that Rush (et al) says many things that Republicans don't agree with; certainly true in my case.

It's not like you're arguing with a man who says the sky is orange, although both sides would have you believe that about the other.

But when a person disregards everything Rush/Hannity/et al says, without considering if a point they make is valid or not, simply because the person deems them "closed minded", what does that say about the person? It tells me he is either closed minded himself, or is simply not that confident in his own argument.

I doubt that suv_guy has ever actually listened to any of these people. He accuses these talk-show hosts of being "bigoted," when, in fact, if they ever uttered a "bigoted" (meaning racist ) remark, they could not gain major corporate sponsors (such as GM in the case of Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity). Similarly, they couldn't gain widespread syndication, because sponsorship in the local inventory slots would be non-existent.

It's pretty telling that suv_guy identifies Rush Limbaugh as a spokesman for the Republican party. If suv_guy were to take the time to listen to Rush's show, he would know that Rush Limbaugh is an advocate for Conservatism, and he has never been a promoter of Republicanism.

It's easy to make a sweeping accusation based on hearsay rather than arguing facts or specific examples. But it's also close minded - a character trait suv_guy himself seems to abhor.

I doubt that suv_guy has ever actually listened to any of these people.

Today Mark Levin talked about the tea parties with Sean Hannity. He took many calls from people on the tea parties from various parts of the country...Columbus, San Fransisco, etc (the woman who called from San Fransisco said that she had to basically hid that she was a conservative and that she was afraid to go to the tea party). He also siad how he had just learned that his book would be a number one NY Times seller for the third week in a row...need I go on? He called several members of congress bisexual...accused people of liberal ideology of being maggot infested marijuana smokers...that they're all hippies...and radicals...etc.

On Monday, Levin and Hannity both talked about the pirate situation...I can give you the basics of what they said if you'd like.

Oh, and I would encourage you to look up the definition of the word bigot.

If suv_guy were to take the time to listen to Rush's show, he would know that Rush Limbaugh is an advocate for Conservatism

Yes, and he's always very fair to Democrats right? Which party does he like more? Which party does he constantly berate? He has been at many Republican rallies recently also.

Yes, and he's always very fair to Democrats right? Which party does he like more? Which party does he constantly berate? He has been at many Republican rallies recently also.

Hello McFly...anybody home...Roadtrip said the man was a conservative.....which political party woould you suppose is more inline with conservative principles????

I have a very stress free life. I enjoy hearing all opinions...even if I don't agree with them.

Ok....is everything that Obama does bad? They seem to think so. Even if he does something that they should like (signing the order to free the Captain from the pirates) they criticize it and say that he did nothing or he did something he didn't even have to do. No credit can ever be given to the other side it seems.

If someone in their own party doesn't agree with them, then they're traitors or pseudo conservatives.

Every tax is bad. Every service provided by the government is bad.

IIRC, Obama was given credit for keeping Gates as Sec of Defense, increasing the troops in Afghanistan, and his order to shoot to kill the pirates, so I don't agree with you here.

Treated like traitors, just like the Dems treated Leiberman? It's not a Republican exclusive.

Taxes are necessary evils, and should be kept at a low level, as such.